Netflix Reviews

Updated August 21, 2014

3.6

Netflix Founder, Chairman and CEO Reed Hastings
Reed Hastings

Pros
  • Freedom and Responsibility" is their guiding phrase here and it is true (in 29 reviews)

• Good Pay & Fact paced work environment (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Netflix makes no secret about it's high performance culture, which results in a very high turnover (in 18 reviews)

• IT IS LITERALLY TRUE THAT IT IS CULTURE OF FEAR, no matter how talented you are (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Like living inside an MBA case study

Current Employee - Director  in  Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Management is not afraid to experiment and try new things. Rapid development. High trust culture. Inventing the future.

Cons

If you don't like change, ambiguity or are uncomfortable in a place where you get to use your own judgement a lot, it wouldn't be a good fit.

High Pressure High Reward

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Santa Clarita, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clarita, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great Benefits, Freedom and Responsibility culture. Ability to express own ideas.

Cons

No work life balance. High Pressure to be a shark. Political games for advancement. Claims to be transparent, but is not.

Practice what you preach.

High pay, but not worth it.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Netflix full-time

Pros

Used to be top of market pay. No longer is, but still higher than average.

Free Netflix account.

Cons

The Hillsboro call center is shrinking dramatically. Management puts as much spin on this as possible but the reality is, opportunities to advance do not exist.

The "Netflix culture" is hyped constantly but is not actually practiced. You will survive if you can speak the buzz words fluently while shamelessly self-promoting yourself at all times and never questioning management.

Everyone is under tremendous stress to protect their position for as long as possible. Success in Hillsboro depends not on the quality of your work but upon your ability to spin the truth and play politics.

Management is not looking for advice.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fine, if you can handle the hours

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate

I worked at Netflix full-time for less than a year

Pros

Easy interview. Lots of quiet time. Ripping envelopes can be kind of a zen experience if you look at it that way

Cons

early, short hours. facilities are often far enough away from residential areas that the gas cost basically negates 1/4 of your work day's wages. No social interaction. VERY Repetitive.

Find some way to give people full time hours so that that you don't have a constant revolving door with employees.

Engaging environment with many interesting technical opportunities

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

Netflix offers amazing co-workers, an exciting business, and the opportunity to work on cool technology problems. Employees (and the community) can contribute to open source projects. The mature workforce focuses on working hard but goes home and recharges at night.

Cons

If you're looking for dinners served at the office, you won't find those at Netflix. I wasn't looking for those things, so I would consider this a pro!

Fast paced environment that was a great experience.

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager  in  Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Netflix full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you do your homework ahead of time you will know that it is not likely that you will retire from Netflix. If you didn't do it before hand and decided to work for Netflix and were shocked at its fast pace and rapid change then shame on you. The company is exactly what it advertises itself to be.

I completely enjoyed the team I worked with and all of the challenges we faced. It has almost been a year and I can honestly say it was a great experience and I miss the folks I got to work with. Netflix has chosen a unique path in regards to customer service and is willing to take new and or different approaches. It is a rewarding experience to generate an idea and have that idea implemented within the same day. Not everything we tried worked but many of things we utilized did work and were very rewarding in there success. If customer service is your chosen profession you can learn a lot from working with this company and gain insight into what would improve an industry that has chosen a path of mediocrity and failure.

Cons

Qwikster...that pretty much says it all.

I genuinely enjoyed the direct and honest conversations I had with peers, HR, and my boss. This is something unique in my experience and I would hate to see that change. Keep the cereal, fruit, ppt decks, video games, ping pong, and coffee going the reps love that.

Love my job

Current Employee - QA Engineer  in  Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - QA Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Constant Learning
    - Keeps me on my toes
    - not a process oriented company. Keeps things simple.

Cons

- moving too fast. Chasing a moving target.

Great environment

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

Low BS. Small agile teams. A lot gets done.
    Less se rest. lot of sharing of information.
    Accountability
    Freedom

Cons

A lot of luck in career path...to be fair to Netflix...acknowledged by management.

Keep up the good work

Netflix was a great learning experience and resume builder.

Former Employee - Digital Account Specialist  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Digital Account Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time for more than a year

Pros

High Salary // Free Lunches // Unlimited Vacation // Flexible Hours

Cons

Office Politics // Limited Growth

Focus on what matters most, the business instead of office gossip.

Churn and burn

Former Employee - Call Center Support Staff  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Call Center Support Staff in Portland, OR

I worked at Netflix full-time for less than a year

Pros

Some great people there (fellow employee's)

Cons

Every call you get can result in a survey with either a "yes" or "no" if they were satisfied with Netflix. You can get anywhere from 40 to 120 calls a day and the survey feedback was instant, meaning as soon as the caller input their survey you were notified. 2 "No's" could wipe out a whole day of "Yes's" and a lot these callers were incredibly unstable. Anything from people not remembering their password to the website to death threats. You had just 4 minutes to try to make them happy somehow and get them off the line before you got an instant message asking what the problem was. If you had to many "No's" you get fired on the spot. Call time too long? Fired. People came and went so much I didn't want to get to know them well because I knew they'd be out the door shortly. I had an incredible team coach that had a lot of faith in me which allowed me to persist in this enviorment. When the whole "separate dvd shipping and online streaming" failed they fired him and many, many others. I hung around for 9 months before I quit, the pressure to make metrics was savage and it was estimated that only 5% of the employee's would make it to a full year. I could go on with situations where the customer was extremely abusive, said no to the survey and went way way over the 4 minutes I was allowed only to have my job threatened for not meeting metrics but hopefully you get the idea.

My advice to management? I wouldn't know where to begin.

Worked for Netflix? Contribute to the Community!