Netflix Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. Casual call center

Pros

progressive work environment, great internal work culture

Cons

company used to be rated number one in customer service because it believed a happy employee would produce better work. Company has lost focus on employee appreciation and happiness. Pain in the -- customers

Great place to work if you are driven

Current Employee - Senior Research Engineer in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Research Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very collaborative environment, great colleagues, great pay, people are adults.

Cons

You have to be self-driven and proactive to get trained, and a lot of training is on the job, but this is by design.

Great place to work, but not for everyone

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Little to no micromanagement. Control and ownership of software components you are responsible for. Exceptional compensation. Incredible vacation policy.

Cons

Not for everyone - developers who like working independently and without much guidance will thrive here. Developers who are used to being given specific assignments and lots of structure might crash and burn (and get fired). Extremely stressful working situations at times as you will be responsible for a lot and might not have backup, and potential for very long hours. If you don't have the courage to ask for your vacations you might not get any (no formal vacation policy).

Advice to Management

Finding the right balance between an unstructured work environment and micromanaging everything is hard, but it's possible that management at NFLX keeps things too much on the unstructured site.

It's not "if" you will be let go, it's "when".

Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leeway to learn and gain experience with diverse technology. Pay was above market. Work with fantastic people. Free subscription & good "product".

Cons

People are treated like toilet paper. It is not a "family", this is true, but it is not a "team", either. The group I worked in processed hires & fires access rights: I have never seen so many people fired, without warning, while they were ON vacation - leaving our group to receive and deal with calls from confused people (some of them Directors of hubs), who returned ready for work to no access and no information on what was happening. Lousy communication between groups. Excessively High turnover - instead of leveraging employee knowledge & experience - people are overworked, used up, & thrown out like trash - the alumni group should read "NETFLIX PTSD Group". 80 hr work week *minimum*. No work-life balance. I had 4 managers in 1year of employment & the entire team I was on was replaced during that time and (you guessed it) one of the most awesome employees was fired while he was *ON* vacation: *THAT* was extremely awkward, as he was stellar...it was just a regime change.

Advice to Management

As if they care what former employees think: Treat people like human beings and show some basic respect. Have *meaningful* employee-management meetings and encourage open communication instead of the "keep doing what you're doing" until people are blindsided by termination.

Don't do it

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Netflix full-time

Pros

Steady income same amount every week biweekly ! Ability to work overtime , Experience gained .

Cons

No respect no breaks no justice, worked in the call center for almost a year, doesn't promote from within .

Advice to Management

Please treat your employees like people and not numbers

7. Great for a Call center

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

guaranteed hours, Free Netflix, Great benefits. The people that work here are pretty cool

Cons

boring work, your job is based on customers saying that they are satisfied with the Netflix experience which really has little to do with you. And you start at 14.hr and that is where you will stay forever.

Advice to Management

We are not cattle.

Best Company I have worked at!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Freedom & Responsibility Culture - Almost zero politics - No Employee Reviews (Hire & keep the best) - High Quality co-workers

Cons

- Not much except that towards the end, had a useless manager

Stay Away

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good "brand" for your resume, I guess. Outsiders will be impressed, if only because the PR machine has been in overdrive convincing people that this is still an innovative company. But a stock price bubble does not equal innovation.

Cons

Most of the honest reviews on here (meaning those not written by HR) have already covered it, but it's a terrible place to work - a pressure-cooker environment full of overpaid but insecure bosses who manage through fear and intimidation. Crazy high turnover in every group, lots of good people getting pushed out all the time by their managers. Then those people are blamed and insulted once they're gone and unable to defend themselves. The company also stopped innovating long ago. The salary, though substantial, is not worth it, especially when you see the C-level insiders routinely cashing out millions in shares like thieves in the night. Hmmm, what do they know that everyone else doesn't? Look elsewhere - there are many other more humane, ethical, and socially rewarding places to get paid well...like Wall Street.

Advice to Management

Keep selling as many shares as possible before the Wall Street lemmings finally figure you guys out. You have done a great job of this so far.

Best company I've worked for

Pros

Pretty much the whole cultural deck - highlights are compensation, no micromanagement and the vacation policy.

Cons

I honestly don't have any big complaints about working here.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

* Freedom & Responsibility culture. Everyone in the company knows the company's direction well. We are responsible for helping the company move to the right direction and we are free to choose how to help the company. * Transparency. The management team spends time with everyone in the company explaining how the company operates.

Cons

* No training program. You are on your own to improve your technique skills.

Advice to Management

I hope that the top management get more feedbacks from everyone in the company. We are a very focused company. However we may find another big thing if we spend some resources on innovative ideas, which do not match the company's focus.

RSS Feed </> Embed