Netflix Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Best company I've worked for

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

Pretty much the whole cultural deck - highlights are compensation, no micromanagement and the vacation policy.

Cons

I honestly don't have any big complaints about working here.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

* Freedom & Responsibility culture. Everyone in the company knows the company's direction well. We are responsible for helping the company move to the right direction and we are free to choose how to help the company. * Transparency. The management team spends time with everyone in the company explaining how the company operates.

Cons

* No training program. You are on your own to improve your technique skills.

Advice to Management

I hope that the top management get more feedbacks from everyone in the company. We are a very focused company. However we may find another big thing if we spend some resources on innovative ideas, which do not match the company's focus.

Excessive Turn-over, Work Mobbing, Culture of Fear, Corporate BS at it's FINEST

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

pay. that's it. but it will feel like dirty money. after you've been here long enough (although evident to me right after I started...) you will wish you never started here because it will suck away your life and soul... the money won't matter. Oh... this was Pros. crap.

Cons

everything. insecure people. arrogance. letting go of people completely arbitrarily. using the annual 360 reviews as a harmless way for peer- reviews; then using those peer reviews as evidence... just as an FYI when you get a team of overpaid, untalented, bored people writing peer reviews it's an incubator for workplace mobbing (look it up) which happens ALL the time. Every week there are at least 1, if not 2 or 3 emails that go around about a team reorganization because someone was let go. When those people are your close colleagues you've successfully worked with; it's completely gross to have to accept their departure while you hang on. It wears on your soul. and, before you know it you HOPE you are let go.

Advice to Management

start a training program. stop thinking the world revolves around the bottom line. Care about your employees and stop treating them so poorly.

Great summer job.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Portland, OR

I worked at Netflix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As much as the customers could be awful sometimes, Netflix really tried to make us happy. The supervisors were very hands on, and always there to help. My team of co-workers were very helpful too. We were always in group chats discussing issues. There were always contests going around, and fresh fruits in the break rooms.

Cons

The only con really is that you don't get to choose your hours. You may get stuck with the overnight shift, or working all weekend days. They do pay you more for those hours though.

Very fast paced ,exciting new technologies, pioneers

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

No micromanagement Get work done - with the Freedom and Responsibility attitude allows flexibility Need to be pro-active and self starters and constantly deliver

Cons

might be intimidating for anyone not used to working at the fast demanding pace

Advice to Management

Loved the transparency and the faith execs had on each one of us - making us feel we belonged

Not too bad

I worked at Netflix

Pros

pay, seemingly lax supervisors. food karts

Cons

All of the survey policies got to be overwhelming.

Advice to Management

Treat folks better.

Miserable

Former Employee - Technical Support in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Technical Support in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Netflix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Starting wage was decent and the weekly pay (through the temp agency) made budgeting easy. Subscription perks were a feature (free discs and streaming, max package).

Cons

Being lied to about converting from temp employees to actual Netflix employees, having the conversion scheduled then canceled, not willing to take into account the general unhappiness of the customer and thus terminating good employees.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect and follow through on your promises.

One of the best - But can it sustain?

I worked at Netflix

Pros

They treat you like adults. There is very less politics. If you have the stuff, you will really excel. They pay you well. They have a Steve Jobs-class CEO. They have a fantastic vision- thanks to Reed Hastings. You are bound to have world class colleagues.

Cons

The most touted culture is changing as the company grows.

Advice to Management

Looks like the company is being YAHOO-fied. There is a lot of influx of Yahoo management which is changing the culture quite a bit. There is quite a bit of self-aggrandizement in recent times, where there is an army of people hired just for the management to move up the ladder. Mr.Reed- it is not only important to be a visionary CEO, but it is important to know what is going on with the management as well. After all, if the culture changes under your carpet, your culture deck will not be admired by people anymore.

Fast paced, intense environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Really smart, motivated, and reliable team members -Great salary -You'll learn a lot from the people you work with -Fantastic product

Cons

-Senior management makes decisions without checking in with the SME's within the company. -People get fired much faster without much warning. If you have a good manager, you will be happy to have the people who aren't pulling their weight gone quickly without causing too many problems. -It's hard to leave the office during the day, if needed. There is a big focus on face time.

Advice to Management

-Before implementing an idea, check with your highly compensated SME's. -Make sure you are listening to and keeping a pulse on your customers. -Give employees more trust so that the high performers don't constantly feel like they could be fired for any small mistake. This kind of fear leads to a nervous, management pleasing environment.

Previous employee, been a few years

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Beaverton, OR

I worked at Netflix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice bling Decent pay very good ticket software

Cons

The only place I've seen this much churn is at a fruit packing shed. The best manager I've ever had was fired for no particular reason, along with his boss and several other employees. If you could not make the customers give you a good review (hard to do when they did maintenance every Tuesday at 10pm), you would be fired.

Advice to Management

Quit holding people accountable for things outside of their control.There's no point in a liberal vacation policy if people are fired for taking a few days off. I will not work for a company that does not have compassion for its employees.

RSS Feed </> Embed