Netflix

Netflix Founder, Chairman and CEO Reed Hastings

Reed Hastings

149 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work

Senior Data Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Netflix full-time for more than a year

ProsCulture of freedom and responsibility, brilliant coworkers,

ConsThere are no cons here

Good company

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Netflix full-time for more than a year

ProsSmart people, less politics, freedom to use resources

ConsLunches are not good. Only one performance review per year for a raise.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey are very open on the information.

Great pay

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time for more than a year

ProsExcellent wages lots of autonomy

ConsToo much turnover. Can be hard to get away from work

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to work for

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Netflix full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAmazing experience, very competitive salary, great office space cutting edge technologies.
If you like fast moving environment and challenging task then this is a place for you. Company treats employees like adults

ConsSometimes environment is moving too fast. Unlimited vacation policy does not work in few cases. Be ready to get support calls in the middle of the night.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot really

Sr. Weblogic Architect

Senior Weblogic Architect (Former Employee)
Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix as a contractor for more than a year

ProsNice company to work with NetFlix. No body compete salary in the Bay Area. Good Environment. You will get nice free lunch every day.

ConsNetflix have to improve from Management Side..

Excellent

Senior Program Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Netflix full-time for more than 3 years

ProsProductive culture that embraces new technology and gives you the ability to make decisions. Company makes you want to always do better, faster.

ConsPeople in high ranking positions that are smart but can't manage. This results in high turnover and exceptional people leaving. There are several Directors/VP's that have no management experience. This really hurts the organization. Keep Beverly Hills in Beverly Hills. Content is not the same as Engineering.

Advice to Senior ManagementReevaluate Talent Team and Leadership. Do research when filling high-level positions. Just because someone is smart, doesn't mean that they can lead.

No place like it!

QC, Digital Supply Chain (Former Employee)
Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix as a contractor for less than a year

ProsWorked with a great team; scrupulous attention to quality; great opportunities to stretch one's wings and pursue new skills; great food.

ConsInconsistencies within the workplace and the "culture deck." Loss of excellent team members when projects ended or were terminated.

Advice to Senior ManagementRethink the "Expect to be laid off" mentality; Retraining team members who could have been co-opted into new projects could give Netflix new vitality

Highly political culture, dysfunctional.

Senior Systems Administrator (Former Employee)
Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time for less than a year

ProsPay and the Netflix name helps on your resume, since most people outside do not know how bad it is inside.

ConsMind numbing. Stress. Constantly watching your back. There are people who have very high title (Directors, Managers, even VPs) who got it because they've managed to stay there the longest. Not because they are qualified for the job. The long timer/oldtimers survived by CYA each others. Those who they think are dangerous to their job will get the knife in the back.

It's not how good you are. It's how well you "play the game" and "fit in with the political culture". They value "safe" decisions that do not rock the boat. At least in the IT Ops dept that I worked in.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your head out of the cloud once in a while. There's real problem underneath. Engineering got tired of the dysfunctional IT Ops group, and built their own infrastructure so they don't have to deal with incompetent people.

Best thing to do is fire everyone in Ops, and start fresh.

A year at Netflix is equal to 2-3 years most other places -- talent density creates accomplishment density.

Director Engineering (Current Employee)

I have been working at Netflix full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFast-moving. Few bureaucratic distractions. Willing to make big, disruptive changes quickly. The move to original content was smart and will propel growth well into the future.

If you function well in a meritocracy, then you will likely be successful at Netflix.

ConsThey're getting big, and that growth is adding pressure to sacrifice some elements of their culture that made them unique and a desirable place to work.

The quality of talent getting hired or promoted now is much less impressive than in the earlier years.

The environment is increasingly political, which may be related to the hiring/promotion of more average, less-impressive employees.

Best place to work for great engineers

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Netflix full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIt's like working for a very well funded startup.
If you're good, this company will boost your career lightyears ahead.
Compensation and perks are just right. No lavish lunches, just good organic food to keep you focused on business. No laundry service. It's not taking over your life.
Very fast growing company. Lots of room to grow and lots of opportunity (if you look).
Visibility - top down, you see everything. There are no secrets in this company. Very helpful if you know how to use this to your advantage.

ConsIf you're not good, you won't survive here.
If you have issues with your people skills, you won't survive here.
If you need hand-holding, someone to constantly point you in the right direction, you'll be directed to the door (while holding your hand).
You'll have to manage your work/life balance. Some people just don't know what 'unlimited vacation' means.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work.

Worked for Netflix? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Netflix reviews and ratings in San Jose, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Netflix CEO Reed Hastings. All 149 reviews posted anonymously by Netflix employees.