Netlist Reviews

Reviw

Current Employee - Staff FAE  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Staff FAE in Austin, TX

I have been working at Netlist full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Small company atmosphere
    Working with large OEMs

Cons

Top Management will drive away good talent when they are unreasonable

Build what the customer is asking for

Run, don't walk

I worked at Netlist full-time

Pros

Occasional free lunch, worker bees are a good group

Cons

Way too many to list. Previous postings in regards to the cultural bias are vastly appropriate. Company is lost. Constant re-direction, violent tantrums and demeaning behavior has caused most of the talented individuals to leave. 3 hour rantings in the Boardroom by the CEO were heard downstairs on our floor, so you know he was screaming his head off. If he and his family trust did not own a controlling percentage, he would most likely have been booted out years ago. The company states they want discipline, procedures and improvements, but refuses to implement, so the status quo is continued. Current IP monetization strategy is hopeless and their business model of competing with their suppliers and then suing both them and World Class customers is fruitless. If you need a paycheck, go for it, but don't stop looking.

Quit and let the board bring in professionals with actual talent.

Buying Cases of Dog Food at Walmart

Former Employee - Digital Design Engineer  in  Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Digital Design Engineer in Irvine, CA

I worked at Netlist full-time for less than a year

Pros

Intersting high tech work. In the past, free lunches every Friday.

Cons

There were plenty of downsides to working at Netlist. Among them, I saw a lot of favoritism where certain employees could do no wrong. To reiterate what was previously said about nepotism, it seemed that there was a Korean mafia in charge of the place, and if you were Korean you could do no wrong.

However, the thing that bothered me most about Netlist was its narrow market focus. Netlist specializes in designs that use dynamic random access memories (DRAMs). I know of two other companies, Intel and Dallas Semiconductor, that used to design DRAMs and got out of the DRAM market several years ago.

Why? At one time in the distant past (say the 80's) DRAMs were an advanced research topic, and companies were spending millions of dollars to figure out how to cram ever increasing numbers of transistors into a silicon die. But at some point in the 90's, DRAMs made an abrupt transition from a research topic to becoming a commodity that was bought and sold on the open market according to the laws of supply and demand.

So buying DRAMs for a digital design became like going to Walmart and buying several cases of dog food, or going to Home Depot and buying several boxes of nails. Nothing more than a commodity where the profit margin became very thin due to competition between different semiconductor manufacturers.

So apparently Netlist has committed itself to a type of product where the profit margins are and will remain razor thin for the forseeable future. As nearly as I can tell, it was and will remain a company whose foundations are built on a deck of cards. It will only take a slight puff of wind to throw the whole system into chaos.

I share some of the previous observations about nepotism. Get rid of the Korean mafia that runs the place. Also try to figure out how to diversify your product line to minimize the risk that accompanies market fluctuations for a narrow product line.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Netlist is a bad place to work.

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer  in  Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Irvine, CA

I worked at Netlist full-time for less than a year

Pros

Salary was reasonable, and the work was interesting

Cons

I heard from two employees on separate occasions that the CEO had a history of taking clients to lunch or dinner and getting falling down drunk in the process.
    When I was there, it seemed like a Korean Mafia was in charge. If you were Korean, you could do no wrong.
    The product the company makes has turned into a commodity, bought and sold on the open market. Buying DRAM's is llike going to Costco and buying 6 cases of cat food, or going to Home Depot and buying 5 boxes of nails.
    If you want to know what Wall Street thinks of Netlist, go to Google and type "Netlist stock quote Morningstar".
    If I remember correctly, Morningstar give the company a "D" for growth prospects, and an "F" for profitabillity.

Get rid of the CEO, and get more diversification with upper management (not all Korean).
    Broaden your product line to include something other than just DRAM's,

typical engineering working environment

Former Employee - Engineer  in  Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Irvine, CA

I worked at Netlist

Pros

Need to handle multiple projects at the same time. Had free Friday lunch and $25/month fitness reimbursement

Cons

Company has difficulty in survive and the price margin is not pretty good. Cost reduction of company is very tide.

Lots of promises nothing delivered. Nepotism and cluelessness

I have been working at Netlist

Pros

Some good minds and lots of potential.

Cons

Upper management does not know how to let people grow. Too much distrust. Turn over of upper level is incredibly high.l People stay long enough to get bonus and then run. Those that stay do so only for the money. Too many family ties. Too many dot line reportings. The board is asleep at the wheel with a rubber stamp.

Get rid of the CEO and his golf buddies.

Worked for Netlist? Contribute to the Community!