Network Communications Inc

Updated August 11, 2014

2.7

Network Communications Inc President & CFO Gerard Parker
Gerard Parker

Pros
  • casual dress, occasional free lunches, easy path to promotion (in 6 reviews)

• There are some really good people, the location is nice (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • They burn through people - have never seen such high Turnover in my life (in 4 reviews)

• Clueless upper management that coddles the ignorant and inept (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Worst place I have ever worked!

Former Employee - Director  in  Duluth, GA
    Former Employee - Director in Duluth, GA

I worked at Network Communications Inc full-time for less than a year

Pros

Some of the people were nice, although the good ones, with real talent, all leave in a matter of months.

Cons

Broken promises regarding bonuses and benefits.
    Fear of being laid off on a daily basis.
    Terrible CEO (Dan McCarthy), exhibited no leadership ability and created a hostile work environment.
    Extremely high turnover, even at Director level and above.
    Combative culture, everyone is out for themselves.
    Outdated business model, the company will always struggle.

Dysfunctional Good Old Boy Haven

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Norcross, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norcross, GA

I worked at Network Communications Inc full-time

Pros

The paychecks don't bounce yet.

Cons

Clueless upper management that coddles the ignorant and inept. No work/life balance. No real perks. No raises. No clue what they are doing. Say the wrong thing and you're gone, because it's management by fear, not real management.

Your top level people are sinking this ship. The good old boy thing you have going with your VPs and directors is not sustainable. Seriously, who's bright idea was it to relocate to an area with no good mass transit options and a horrible commute for all your employees that had been with you for a long time since Lawrenceville?

Worst company I ever worked for in my life..

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  Norcross, GA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Norcross, GA

I worked at Network Communications Inc full-time for less than a year

Pros

Steady pay check while you are looking for a better job.

Cons

I literally worked their less than a year and I seen over 10+ individuals come and go. The so called "training" they provide employees is laughable. Its very difficult to sell a product where individuals can get the same services for free. Not to mention once you sell most of your client do not want to keep the contract because they are not getting what was promised. They don't care about their employees at all its a churn & burn. They hire get a few sales and then let you go. Its not the employees is bad management and terrible product compared to the rest of the industry.

Stop making up content to stay a float. Re-evaluate your company goals. The turnover is based on leadership if no one employees stays over a year it truly says something about you. If you must work here just make sure you are looking for a better job else where. this place is just a pit stop to stop the bleeding.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Company Has Uphill Battle With Poor Management

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Network Communications Inc full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The job provided a paycheck. We were allowed to work from home most of the time and could wear casual clothes.

Cons

It is an ol' boys/girls club with poor managers, very high staff turnover, low morale and a high number of current employees looking for other employment.

Get rid of some of the managers that have been there for a long time. Breathe some life into the business with people who have a fresh perspective and are not part of the ol' boys/girls club.

Empty Promises, Broken Hearts: The Digital Sherpa Story

Current Employee - Online Content Manager  in  Norcross, GA
    Current Employee - Online Content Manager in Norcross, GA

I have been working at Network Communications Inc full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-casual dress, occasional free lunches, easy path to promotion

Cons

-Company is now focused on creating as much content as possible. Teams are rewarded solely on speed of production and unable to meet client quality expectations without working significant amounts of unpaid overtime each week.

-While management puts an emphasis in last company-wide meeting on seeking out employees who are passionate about client satisfaction and aren't just here for the paycheck, they are surprisingly oblivious to the fact that the only people they're driving out with new policies are the people who are actually qualified to leave.

- The WFH program was established last year, but days have been cut back with no concrete plans to re-implement. Though many current employees accepted a lower salary under the assumption that the program would supplement their meager paycheck, management seems to view WFH as a luxury rather than an economic necessity.

- Training is non-existant. While most content producers have writing experience, very few have experience publishing for the web. Current content team is run more like a dying print room, with no strategy when it comes to increasing readership. Editors are left guessing at keywords and trying to fake their way through client conversations in order to maintain the illusion of expertise, which is becoming increasingly difficult as clients realize they can write better content in-house than we can provide in the few minutes per day we have time to dedicate to their brand.

Listen to your employees. The people who are asking questions are the people who care. If the pay is below industry average and you intend to recruit above-average employees, stop cutting back on cost-free incentives like WFH days.

Two accent walls and a free lunch once a month is not as "cool" to employees as decent healthcare or WFH benefits, and if you can't trust your employees to work unsupervised for two days a week, chances are they're not being too productive in the office, either. Continue to take positive steps in weeding out people who don't pull their weight without punishing those who are, and deal with WFH unproductivity on a case-by-case basis.

Train us. In a constantly evolving industry, staff training shouldn't stop after initial on-boarding. Host guest speakers. Discuss new trends in social media. Shift focus of ineffective monthly content-team meetings to something (anything) other than rehashing old content ideas. Allow, and encourage, employees to give brief presentations on social media developments that are relevant to the company.

People are bailing, fast

Current Employee - Employee  in  Norcross, GA
    Current Employee - Employee in Norcross, GA

Pros

casual dress code, no strict clock in policy, good work/ life balance if you get more community than design clients

Cons

About 40% of the content team is actively looking for other work. Mgmt used to compensate for below-industry-average pay and high health-care premiums with work-from-home days, but they've upped the number of in-office days to four a week, which just isn't worth it for people who are commuting an hour each way.

If you're interested in social media or SEO, this is not the place. Mgmt used to host occasional training sessions, but since November the content team is run more like a content farm. Aside from monthly meetings about things to write about for the summer/spring/winter/fall, you're not going to learn anything new.

Stop cutting free incentives, and host a guest speaker or something.

Like the people

Current Employee - Graphic Artist  in  Lawrenceville, GA
    Current Employee - Graphic Artist in Lawrenceville, GA

I have been working at Network Communications Inc full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Casual Dress
    Good Work Environment
    Nice People

Cons

A Little Dated
    Benefits are Lacking

It's all Good on my side of things

Network Communications in Lawrenceville, GA

Current Employee - Publisher  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Publisher in Atlanta, GA

Pros

flexibility, fast paced, able to use creativity

Cons

Have taken away bonus and 401 K match. Seems to promote and give raises to a select group of the management's friends. Lacks in communicating to employees.

NO structure from the top down

Current Employee - AE  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - AE in Seattle, WA

Pros

N0 micro managing..no guidence either. Not a place to start a career in advertising-no training and turn over has become more frequent.

Cons

Pay not great. Also,your Tax Returns do not show any of the comm. you make on a monthly basis. never get a actual paycheck only copies of expense and mileage checks are sent to the employee...makes one skepitcal on the reporting of taxes to the IRS.

Get some real management to over see the areas that NCI/Apartment Finder does business. Over extends the current management to the point that there is NO real guidence and therefore your left on your own to try and make the products and services that NCI Communications / Apartment Finder has to offer experience any form of success. Very frustrating organization to work for to say the least.

I would say over all Good

Former Employee - Computer Systems Specialist  in  Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Computer Systems Specialist in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Network Communications Inc

Pros

Oppertunities were good, and offering education for employee were great, work site was good and the people i work with were very helpful

Cons

It was harder for me because I was older then most of my co-workers, but all were helpful to me and lent a hand to make sure I accomplished my tasks

Help the older employees better, alot were more intersted in the youger more attrictive women and it seemed they weren't intrested in your time or wouldn't give you the time of day.

Worked for Network Communications Inc? Contribute to the Community!