Network Computing Architects

www.ncanet.com

Network Computing Architects Reviews

3.5

Thomas Gobielle

NCA is a caring company that takes its employees, customers and partners seriously.

I have been working at Network Computing Architects full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

NCA is a small enough company that can make necessary changes easily but large enough to have the respect of its competitors and partners. Working at NCA is enjoyable because it has a great market reputation, management demands a balanced lifestyle and there is no undue pressure to work "extra" just to work. But, they do require you to do your job and do it well. Benefits are good and salaries are competitive, if not above market for some positions.

Cons

Being a small company, there is not always a position to move up to but when there is, NCA trys to promote from within.

Keep demanding employees strive to be their best.

Good company to work for - but come prepared.

Former Employee - Security Practice Manager  in  Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Security Practice Manager in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Network Computing Architects full-time for more than a year

Pros

As the security practice leader for close to two years, and having insights into activities at the executive levels of the company, I have a unique perspective to share regarding NCA. My goal here is to give an honest review based on my own personal experiences within this company - nothing more, nothing less.

First of all, I believe that the leadership team has nothing but the best of intentions for the company and its employees. The folks in charge really do care - and everyone is treated as part of a family.

The work itself can be both challenging and exciting - engaging with customers on a regular basis and being closely tied into the security industry has significant benefits and rewards.

A lot of emphasis is placed on recognizing individual and collective contributions. As a small company, everyone knows everyone - and saying 'thank you' is an important part of the culture.

Finally - the technology engineering services offered by the company are top notch. NCA hires very high caliber, deeply committed technical resources who truly thrive on new challenges.

Cons

Being completely honest, the company does have some issues (though many of these appear to have been addressed over the past few months). For instance:

The company has changed it's strategic direction several times over the past few years, and at times there's been some confusion about what the company is all about and what it does.

The sales team can be difficult to partner with in some areas. There are communications breakdowns that occur from time to time, contributing to increased service delivery errors.

There is a tendency (across the company) to overcommit to things. A lot of juggling (and extended hours) can occur as a result.

However, I would bestow far more positive attributes than negative ones on the company overall. NCA *is* a good place to work if you can handle the demands of the job and work together as part of a team. I look back on my time with NCA quite fondly... And wish them all the best.

No company is perfect - but NCA makes every effort to treat its employees right, while doing the best it can to generate customer opportunities and engage in the sound delivery of equipment and services.

My advice to the management team is to continue moving forward with equipment sales, professional technology services, and managed service offerings. Know your goals and your limits, lean on your partners to fill in any gaps, and keep the sales force on track with clear guidance and support.

But (from what I've been told lately), this is exactly what the company is doing now. That's good to hear and makes me glad for everyone who's still there.

NCA is a great company to build or continue a career with!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Pros

NCA fosters a very entrepreneurial work environment that allows it employees to grow and creatively work with their customers and co-workers. The ability to leverage premier vendor and supplier relationships to deliver relevant solutions to our clients sets us apart from the competition.

Cons

Being that it is a small company it's difficult to recognize and promote every individual consistently and endlessly.

Keep focused on relevant technology trends and continue to hire reputable sales and engineering individuals.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The culture is definitely entrepreneurial in nature.

Current Employee - Department Manager  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Network Computing Architects full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you are the sort of person that thrives on individual contributions to teamwork, this is a great place to work. The culture is definitely entrepreneurial in nature. Individual contributions are valued.

Cons

If you prefer to work for a paycheck only, this is not the place for you. It is a small company that expects a lot from employees, every day. There is not a lot of room for non-performers.

Continue to hire individuals who are able to multi-task, take on more than humanly possible, and praise them for their contributions.

Positive Work Life & Atmosphere

Former Employee - Technical Consultant  in  Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Technical Consultant in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Network Computing Architects full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Positive and friendly employees, the company is the right size to get to know everyone and to build successful working relationships. Training and certification courses are encouraged and provided for engineers as requested. This company is a great place to learn and gain knowledge about security solutions and they focus on putting customer needs first.

Cons

Unfortunately I left NCA due to moving out of the state, but was very happy for my time spent learning from this side of the technology industry.

Since I have been here I have been given a great opportunity to learn and grow.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Network Computing Architects full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

In my previous jobs I had some primary responsibility, but not a lot of variety. At NCA I have an opportunity to work on many different and interesting projects. The team I work with is great and customer satisfaction is a primary objective. I get a lot of freedom and responsibility.

Cons

Sometimes it is hard representing multiple solutions through multiple vendors as they all compete for the same customer. There has been considerable effort to reduce the products sets which will make my job easier this year.

Stay with the plan to sell more solutions through fewer vendors and keep working on developing NCA braded solutions. Easier to support.

A Failure of Leadership

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Network Computing Architects full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexibility in scheduling... A few good people who try hard, but keep running into the same walls.

Cons

No real direction. CEO is a 'nice guy' but not really a leader. Company is mostly run by the CFO, who values profit over all else. No one really knows what's going on. Like ever! And its been this way for several years now. There were a couple of new faces within the leadership team last year who had good ideas and a solid plan for the future, but they got fed up and left. I do not recommend working at NCA until the current CEO steps down, the CFO is no longer pulling all of the strings, and there is a leadership team in place who can actually make good things happen! It's sad to say these things though, because there's so much opportunity and so many possibilities. If the company could get out of its own way it might just have had a real chance. Who knows; maybe it still will one day. Not a good place to be until it does.

Do one thing and do it well, don't try to be all things to all people... Make sure your product and services are aligned properly and tell a compelling story that makes sense. And for gods sake, be realistic and willing to invest in strategy, marketing, and professional development. Get sales to think bigger, and listen to your people!

A few diamond employees among a mess of upper management, processes, goals, vision, etc.

I have been working at Network Computing Architects full-time

Pros

Freedom. NCA is not a micromanaging type company and you have the freedom to build your own schedule, work your own hours, etc. There are a few long-time employees who are very smart and great teachers.

Cons

Management is a bunch of has beens and lack professionalism, vision, direction and position. The company is a scramble and nothing has a clear defined process and is not headed in a positive direction in that sense. Many departments that determine the success of a company lack qualified and trained employees. There is no formal training nor does management care to train employees. NCA depends on the few token long-time employees to keep the company afloat and do not, let me repeat, do not care about giving their employees what they need to grow, with the exception of engineers and their certifications. I do not recommend working for NCA unless you are an outside business consultant contracted in helping with fixing this company.

Honestly, you need a vision and you need to stick with it. You are all over the place. Speaking about the current month or the next month is not planning ahead, it's called scrambling. My advice is to really look at what's going on around you - droves of people continue to voluntarily leave. Change needs to happen, not just be talked about. Streamline, perfect and be happy with one internal project and then move onto the next.

Good company but lacking any care for employees

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Network Computing Architects

Pros

The ability to have time off whenever needed. Management has an open door policy and open book policy on the company status and direction.

Cons

No base salary, unequal distribution of support, lack of any career development or advancement. No clear direction of where the company is going.

Give the sales reps a base salary and realize that we don't have the support necessary to be successful at our jobs.

NCA has been very good to me and my family. I have been given a chance to develop both personally and professionally.

Current Employee - Systems Engineer
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer

I have been working at Network Computing Architects full-time

Pros

This company has been able to build a very solid team of individuals that want to learn and grow. What I like is that we enjoy working together and are responsible for our customers success. We take pride in our work and our reputation. NCA is highly regarded by our partners and when we work together we all share satisfaction in the work we do.

Cons

Our customers are faced with uncertainty around what the right strategies are moving forward. Nothing stays the same which puts the challenge on the individual here to be a self starter. In a smaller business not everyone is up for the challenge to push themselves to be better at what they do. If you don't want to learn and do things that are uncomfortable, it is probably not the place for you. I have seen people come and go that that would be better off working for a large company where they can just have a job.

I like that fact that you listen and I feel like I can make a difference in how we do business. There has been some necessary changes over the last 12 months, which for the most part I feel like were required and have things moving in the right direction. I know some of the decisions were difficult. Keep up the good work.

Worked for Network Computing Architects? Contribute to the Community!