Network Data Systems

Updated October 5, 2014
Updated October 5, 2014
3.7

Al Siders

Pros
  • NDS goes above and beyond to make sure that employees are happy (in 4 reviews)

• I enjoyed the flexible work environment (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • NOC management generally does not care for their people (in 4 reviews)

• Private stock options is used instead of providing a 401k match or profit sharing despite MoM and YoY record growth (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Respectful, Exiting, Challenging and Rewarding

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Network Data Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Executive and senior management always provide monthly updates, share information and listen to employee concerns.

Employees are valued for what they bring to the table and are offered opportunities to develop new skills.

Employees are willing to help each other - - The office environment in the Schaumburg office is professional but casual.

I am amazed and thankful at the frequency that employees are included in lunches when we have guest in the office.

My manager always makes time for me and I feel completely connected to the business and understanding what I need to do to be successful and to make the company successful.

Pay and insurance benefits are good and definitely at or above market.

Good opportunities for personal development as I have been able to attend pertinent training, conferences and work on a variety of projects that have given me new skills and experiences

I have made several recommendations for improvements and I have always been heard. Some have even been implemented.

The company offers many ways to give feedback - management often proactively reaches out to employees to get advice, there is a semi-annual employee survey, and conference calls led by senior management. I see a real effort to listen to employees and to really assess employee suggestions.

This is a place where you can really build your own career. You have to take ownership of your work and yourself, but it is very rewarding!

Cons

Honestly can't think of one! We are in an industry that always has challenges and intense competition, but the challenges make it one of the most rewarding places to work!

We don't have a 401k match but the company makes up for it with work-life flexibility, good insurance benefits and other perks.

Most employees are remote so it is not often that we all can get together and really get to know each other face-to-face.

Continue reaching out to employees and sharing information

Communicate some of the business trends you are seeing and what you think is going to be the focus for NDS (technical and strategically) in your communications. This will help me do the right things and understand how I might be able to help.

Deceptive business practices are prevalent throughout this organization

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Network Data Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed the flexible work environment.

Cons

Recruiting will lie to you about the company, work environment, and career opportunities just to get you to join the organization. A common theme is they put "employees first and there is near zero turnover". I couldn't disagree more with this statement, they did not place a high value on employees and as a result - turnover was high.

Sales people will lie to prospective clients about the size of the organization and ability to deliver.

Account Managers will lie to customers about project status, ability to deliver, and resource availability.

Executive Management will lie to employees about pay structure and an employee's ability to meet goals.

There is a real problem with business ethics at this organization that permeates throughout the company. They have lost their values in their quest to grow, which creates a toxic work environment. Executive Management needs to re-set the office culture and stress basic business ethics. Do not lie or be deceptive, it simply isn't worth it. They may receive some short-term benefit through this deception, but the long-term effects will be destructive.

Network Data Systems Response

Oct 9, 2014VP Field Services

Not sure where you received your data, but here are the facts. Our client net promoter score (NPS) for 2014 year to date is 86.5%. This score is consistent with scores achieved since we started ... More

NDS is a positive place with a culture that fosters employee growth and accountability

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Network Data Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I can make decisions on behalf of customers without multiple levels of review. I feel good about the decisions made by upper management. I like the entrepreneurial culture.

Cons

I must assume responsibility for some areas outside of my expertise, at times. Expectations to assume responsibility and complete tasks for customer that requires extra work. Over and above what is outlined in SOWS.

Follow existing processes and develop new for continued growth.

Proud Team Member

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Network Data Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work-Life Balance: truly have found a perfect balance with NDS.
    Fellow Colleagues: great team members who have vast experience and knowledge
    Growth: opportunities available
    Company: they truly do care for you. Not only on a professional level but also personally.

Cons

I don't really have any Cons.

A perk idea would be to offer an allowance for Internet Bill for those team members who primarily work remote.

Lots of opportunity for growth if you are ready to learn

I have been working at Network Data Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is a positive culture where the people work very hard to supply the customer a good experience.
    You have access to very senior engineers, who are always willing to help.
    They have many vendor training programs and external training available if you choose to take it.
    They have gone through a big transition since the beginning of the year building out a public cloud service.

Cons

In the consulting group, who you work for can be confusing because you work on multiple projects with multiple managers and sometimes they don’t know which project you are working on and how busy you are.

Continue to provide great training and keep your consultants happy and they will continue to take great care of the customers.

A great place to work, with top class management.

I have been working at Network Data Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Enjoyable, challenging work environment.

Opportunities to learn and progress, both personally and professionally.

Management that cares about their Team's work ethic, cohesion with one another, and their individual well being.

Cons

Not really a con, but something that hopefully keeps lazy applicants away - The NDS NOC is not an "easy" place to work. If you're used to kicking back, relaxing, and not actually working, apply elsewhere. Being a NOC engineer at NDS is not for someone looking for a comfort zone where each day becomes monotonous and predictable. You WILL be challenged each and every day you come in.

Keep on doing what you're doing. The NDS NOC is where it is today because of your hard work and dedication!

A company that has excelled with it's customers because it has hired the best employees.

Former Employee - Technical Sales in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Technical Sales in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Network Data Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I always felt that NDS was successful in attracting and retaining a technical team that truly felt they were the best of the best. The customer base seemed to agree with that. Many companies have some good engineers, but the NDS team was not only the best technically, but they have a keen business sense that adds value to providing true customer solutions. I have worked with some of the other companies out there since I left NDS and nowhere have I seen the attitude of "excellence" that they have. The larger companies seem to address problems like the 4th Infantry Division and NDS like Seal Team 6. They are both good, one is just more specialized.

Cons

I felt that as client demands grew more complex, some of the top engineers tended to work harder and longer reaching a potential for burnout.

Management needs to continue to involve the technical leadership team in client and company direction and maybe look for ways to expand the national footprint. This would open up new opportunities for internal advancement.

Multi-year employee

Current Employee - Business Development in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Business Development in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Network Data Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company attracts fantastic people and retains them. Many long-term employees. Turnover is very low. Culturally Network Data Systems is a unique place to work. I don't think there are many companies left who share the cultural values NDS lives by. The company has rejiggered it's business model over the years adeptly. Managing constant change is necessary in the IT space and NDS handles this very well.

Cons

Not really any major cons but I know that because of the many possible different directions the company can go choosing which path is optimal and focusing on that is sometimes challenging.

Think big!

Until NOC management is replaced it's become a place to avoid!

I have been working at Network Data Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

All of my peers are wonderful to work with.
    I used to be on the other side of the fence that Network Data Systems was a better place to work and to learn new skills, but recent events prove that anything positive about that is negated by insensitive management. NDS has become just a place to get a steady paycheck now versus last year.

Cons

When NOC management informed us recently that they would rather have us internalize compaints or quit you pushed too far. NOC management ostracized all of us because of your ongoing insecurities and their continued military style campaign of denial.
    Everything you do is monitored and recorded and it seems that this is only used against an employee.

NOC management should realize that NOC employees are competent professionals and not the unskilled cannon fodder they often treat us as.
    When working with direct reports one of the most difficult things to learn is to not tell us what to do but to help us see the light on our own.

Network Data Systems Response

Aug 14, 2014VP Field Services

NDS values all employee feedback both good and bad. This feedback allows us to ensure we maintain the culture we all enjoy and value.

We maintain an open door policy and encourage any employee who
    ... More

Network Data Systems is a great place to work!

I have been working at Network Data Systems

Pros

NDS is a company with high values and high integrity and live it everyday. They value their employees and try to do the right thing for them every time which makes for a great culture. The leadership seems to be focused at trying to continually improve the company and make it a better place to work. I am very pleased to be a part of NDS.

Cons

Having worked for NDS for several years and my experience being very positive, it's hard to find too many con's to report. Like many companies in the technology business, NDS has experienced some bumps along the road but has always rebounded in a positive and appropriate manner thanks to strong leadership.

Network Data Systems Photos