Network Data Systems

Updated February 22, 2015
Updated February 22, 2015
4.7

Al Siders

Pros
  • NDS goes above and beyond to make sure that employees are happy (in 4 reviews)

• I enjoyed the flexible work environment (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • NOC management generally does not care for their people (in 4 reviews)

• Private stock options is used instead of providing a 401k match or profit sharing despite MoM and YoY record growth (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

A Great Place to Work!

Current Contractor - Senior Project Manager in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Contractor - Senior Project Manager in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Network Data Systems as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked with Network Data Systems for over four years. I have previous direct employment experience with four other consulting companies and one fortune 50 company but I have never worked in an environment that values and empowers individual contributors like NDS. As in any professional services role my work with NDS includes challenges however all levels of management, including senior management, are unbelievably accessible and provide the tools for individual and team success. As a company, Network Data Systems encourages a collaborative approach to tackling problem solving. Network Data Systems has provided the most rewarding environment I have experienced in my 20+ year career.

Cons

Because of the size of the company you must be flexible and willing to learn to succeed. For me this a not a negative.

Keep up the great work. Continue to focus on and stress the importance our values which make NDS such a positive environment

Best place I've ever worked at!

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Network Data Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

All areas of management really care about your future. They've just developed a performance/career review tool to assist bothe the employee and the manager in your career development. How many companies do that anymore? They hold true to their values of people first!

Cons

They sometimes have a "blind" eye with some employees just to keep them. All employees are important and should all be held accountable to the values of the company even if they've been around from the beginning. Bad behavior should never be tolerated!

Stay strong to your values...in every case! Keep the communication flowing!

Great Company

Former Contractor - Senior Project Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Contractor - Senior Project Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Network Data Systems as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

My experience with NDS was great. They were very helpful in placing me in a position that was close to my home. They made me feel like I was part of the team and took me to lunch on several occasions.

Cons

My experience was great with NDS so there are no cons.

Hands down the best company I have ever worked for.

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Network Data Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

NDS Management and Senior Management make you feel like you really matter to the company, they go out of their way to make sure you have all the tools to perform your job successfully.
    I have worked for a lot of companies big and small over the years and NDS by far is the best place to work.

Cons

In my eyes NDS does not have any Cons

Keep doing what you are doing....

Amateur leadership. Poor understanding of technology.

Current Employee - Consultant in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Consultant in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Network Data Systems full-time

Pros

The best part about working here is listening to all the lies they feed you. They are frightened when someone knows more then them, which is frequent. You can work 5 hours a week and get the same praise as someone working 60 hours a week.

Cons

Will consistently be lied to.
    No accountability.
    Will never thank someone for long hours and hard work.
    Team leads who couldn't manage a dairy queen.
    Will probably be out of business in 5 years.

Network Data Systems Response

Jan 12, 2015VP Field Services

We have never intentionally lied to our employees and we are purposefully open and transparent when communicating our client’s desires and plans. However, we can be only as accurate as our client’s ... More

Couldn't ask for a better company to work for.

Current Employee - NOC Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - NOC Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Network Data Systems full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Since starting at Network Data Systems, it has become very apparent that NDS cares about each and every employee.

Bi-weekly ticket reviews allow you to stay sharp with your skills and notice areas that may potentially need improvement. I really enjoy the monthly chats with the manager as well, which you are able to talk about whatever is on your mind; this includes topics such as your personal life, stress, professional goals, money, strategies to achieve desired goals, and anything else you could think of. During these meetings, one does not have to worry about being judged or having their private discussion revealed to other employees. It also helps to build a solid relationship with the manager and team lead.

The overall attitude in the NOC is a very positive one. It is a great feeling to be appreciated by management and other engineers when accomplishing a task, large or small.

On many occasions I am greeted by the CEO or President of the company upon walking in to work. They always greet me with a smile and a handshake, and I feel that they genuinely want the best for me. It is not like other companies in which the President/CEO doesn't even know your name; at NDS, they know exactly who you are.

Cons

I do not have any cons so far. NDS makes sure that all concerns are addressed as soon as possible, as long as they are aware.

Continue to show dedication and compassion towards the employees. It is a great feeling to know that management actually cares about you professionally as well as personally.

Deceptive business practices are prevalent throughout this organization

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Network Data Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed the flexible work environment.

Cons

Recruiting will lie to you about the company, work environment, and career opportunities just to get you to join the organization. A common theme is they put "employees first and there is near zero turnover". I couldn't disagree more with this statement, they did not place a high value on employees and as a result - turnover was high.

Sales people will lie to prospective clients about the size of the organization and ability to deliver.

Account Managers will lie to customers about project status, ability to deliver, and resource availability.

Executive Management will lie to employees about pay structure and an employee's ability to meet goals.

There is a real problem with business ethics at this organization that permeates throughout the company. They have lost their values in their quest to grow, which creates a toxic work environment. Executive Management needs to re-set the office culture and stress basic business ethics. Do not lie or be deceptive, it simply isn't worth it. They may receive some short-term benefit through this deception, but the long-term effects will be destructive.

Network Data Systems Response

Oct 9, 2014VP Field Services

Not sure where you received your data, but here are the facts. Our client net promoter score (NPS) for 2014 year to date is 86.5%. This score is consistent with scores achieved since we started ... More

Respectful, Exiting, Challenging and Rewarding

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Network Data Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Executive and senior management always provide monthly updates, share information and listen to employee concerns.

Employees are valued for what they bring to the table and are offered opportunities to develop new skills.

Employees are willing to help each other - - The office environment in the Schaumburg office is professional but casual.

I am amazed and thankful at the frequency that employees are included in lunches when we have guest in the office.

My manager always makes time for me and I feel completely connected to the business and understanding what I need to do to be successful and to make the company successful.

Pay and insurance benefits are good and definitely at or above market.

Good opportunities for personal development as I have been able to attend pertinent training, conferences and work on a variety of projects that have given me new skills and experiences

I have made several recommendations for improvements and I have always been heard. Some have even been implemented.

The company offers many ways to give feedback - management often proactively reaches out to employees to get advice, there is a semi-annual employee survey, and conference calls led by senior management. I see a real effort to listen to employees and to really assess employee suggestions.

This is a place where you can really build your own career. You have to take ownership of your work and yourself, but it is very rewarding!

Cons

Honestly can't think of one! We are in an industry that always has challenges and intense competition, but the challenges make it one of the most rewarding places to work!

We don't have a 401k match but the company makes up for it with work-life flexibility, good insurance benefits and other perks.

Most employees are remote so it is not often that we all can get together and really get to know each other face-to-face.

Continue reaching out to employees and sharing information

Communicate some of the business trends you are seeing and what you think is going to be the focus for NDS (technical and strategically) in your communications. This will help me do the right things and understand how I might be able to help.

NDS is a positive place with a culture that fosters employee growth and accountability

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Network Data Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I can make decisions on behalf of customers without multiple levels of review. I feel good about the decisions made by upper management. I like the entrepreneurial culture.

Cons

I must assume responsibility for some areas outside of my expertise, at times. Expectations to assume responsibility and complete tasks for customer that requires extra work. Over and above what is outlined in SOWS.

Follow existing processes and develop new for continued growth.

Proud Team Member

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Network Data Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work-Life Balance: truly have found a perfect balance with NDS.
    Fellow Colleagues: great team members who have vast experience and knowledge
    Growth: opportunities available
    Company: they truly do care for you. Not only on a professional level but also personally.

Cons

I don't really have any Cons.

A perk idea would be to offer an allowance for Internet Bill for those team members who primarily work remote.

Network Data Systems Photos