Network Health Reviews

Christopher "Kit" Gorton

1. Great Mission, growing pains

Former Contractor - Analyst in Medford, MA
    Former Contractor - Analyst in Medford, MA

I worked at Network Health as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

- Friendly co-workers
    - Great organization mission, which everyone believes in. It's not just lip service.
    - Everyone is encouraged to participate in fundraising events, and the company usually matches the funds that the employees raise

Cons

- Some employees really resent contractors and do their best to undermine them, even at the risk of derailing critical projects
    - There are competing priorities which makes it difficult to keep focus on projects
    - Work / life balance is out of whack, and employees are burning out

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work with your focus on the company mission, but also consider how to encourage your most talented employees to stick around.

2. This place treats you right

Current Employee - Provider Payment Analyst in Medford, MA
    Current Employee - Provider Payment Analyst in Medford, MA

I have been working at Network Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- The company culture is very positive, constructive, and friendly.
    - The company puts its employees first, and makes you feel like you matter. There's plenty of health/wellness programs, investment in training, and employee rewards.
    - There's lots of potential for advancement! Hard work and good ideas matter more than hierarchy or office politics.
    - It's a non-profit that makes a positive contribution to the community.

Cons

- Sometimes things are done in a messy, slipshod way. You might find yourself stumbling over lots of outgrown bandages.
    - It can be very confusing to get a handle on proper procedure. There's a lack of documentation, with too many policies left unwritten or written vaguely.

Advice to Management

The company needs more communication and information sharing between departments. It needs a better focus on long-term solutions, instead of just getting through the next crisis.

3. It was good place to work before tufts bought them out

Current Employee - Outreach Social Worker in Medford, MA
    Current Employee - Outreach Social Worker in Medford, MA

I have been working at Network Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

diversity and how they worked with each individual

Cons

because of them being bought by tufts-work environment changed and mission as well as

Advice to Management

human resources had to much power in work-life and because it was bought by two companies once before i started and one before i left - things really changed

Mistreated and total disrespect as a contractor, treated like a dog

Former Contractor - Marketing Contractor in Medford, MA
    Former Contractor - Marketing Contractor in Medford, MA

I worked at Network Health as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

* pay was ok
    * workload was dry and easy

Cons

* Disrespect from many folks in mid-level management
    * Ignored as a contractor (put in corner and never had chance to engage in social activities)
    * No communication until last day (which was unexpected and not announced)
    * No learning. Not the work I was promised

Advice to Management

To the management that deals with contractors: You may have power over a contractor since they have no say in a company, but they are human beings too. I asked for a confirmation on my contract to an employee instead of my recruiter and as a result was punished by early termination. I didn't receive a goodbye or a thank you. I had to pack my things and simply disappear. It was the most strange and most disrespectful thing I have ever faced in a company.

6. the job was fine.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Medford, MA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Medford, MA

I worked at Network Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

understood the over all company operations

Cons

needed a change since i was there for such a long time.

Advice to Management

n/a

Phenomal!

Former Employee - Medical Economics Analyst in Medford, MA
    Former Employee - Medical Economics Analyst in Medford, MA

I worked at Network Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Family-oriented culture, laid back work environment, stress-free pace of work

Cons

Rapid changes due to Tufts acquisition. Organizational inertia when it comes to change. High turnover.

Advice to Management

Salaries need to be more in line with market.

Insurance - what were you expecting?

Current Employee - Applications Analyst in Medford, MA
    Current Employee - Applications Analyst in Medford, MA

I have been working at Network Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the most dedicated people working to help the most needy frost the poisoned cake of private health insurance.

Cons

Everyone is very nice, even when they are nasty

Advice to Management

There is no unified goal - sharing work and blame would go a long way. And Christina Severin is not the president - she is at BI now

9. Unprofessional work environment

Former Employee - Clinician in Medford, MA
    Former Employee - Clinician in Medford, MA

I worked at Network Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free coffee, good location, benevolent mission

Cons

Loud, people talk all day long, sloppy dress, management absent, unstable atmoshere (management seems to change daily, etc)

10. Lots of growth and opportunity

Current Employee - Manager in Medford, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Medford, MA

I have been working at Network Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The culture and people are great. There is a cooperative spirit that I have rarely seen at other organizations. The benefits are at least good, though at time of writing the salaries seem to lack by comparison to for-profit organizations.
    There is considerable effort given to shuffle people around internally to take advantage of new opportunities for internal promotion or growth rather than lose experienced individuals.

Cons

It is often hard to figure out what the number 1 priority is -- company growth vs company stability vs auditing or compliance requirements.
    Top-down communications between sr leadership to those below director seems to be sparse.
    Project portfolio every year is huge. It's often hard to complete 100% of a project since we quickly start new ones or they drag on for longer than anticipated.

Advice to Management

It's easy to believe that because you are very familiar with the strategy, direction or any change that is coming that people further down the reporting chain are as well, but this is not the case. I'd rather see more communication down than less and this we could all use a little more.

11. Benefits are acceptable, work life is good and flexible, management is poor

Former Employee - Programmer in Medford, MA
    Former Employee - Programmer in Medford, MA

I worked at Network Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The work environment is very nice. The salaries are a little under the average. The benefits are good but I think that they could do better. The matching for the retirement is only 2%. It should be 3% at the minimum. The company also charges some money for the parking. Other companies absorb the entire cost. The IRS has increased this amount to $245.00 allowance and the company don't do it.

Cons

I worked in the IT department and I think that the culture of the company is in the understanding that a programmer should be a business analyst, a systems analyst, a programmer, a leader, a tester and everything. That would have worked in the past when the company was small and the programming was not so complex. However the business needs and products offered by the company also grew a great deal in 3 years and HR and the company in general are in the understanding that with a small programmer pool in IT they could do the same as other bigger insurance companies do. I also could see that many young persons were hired as managers and directors in the business configuration and member enrollment teams without any experience. The situation was painful to employees under their supervision. Those teams also dont provide any help to the IT department and are very demanding in their needs.

Advice to Management

In general there isn't a sense of respect to the employees in providing a reviewed annual evaluation by senior management or HR. A manager could just be mad one day and write a one unrespectful comment in the annual evaluation. I think there should be a review a small review every 6 months and annual evaluations and salary increases should be reviewed by more people than just the manager before being delivered to the employees. Also the directors should also communicate more ofter with their teams as Christina does with the assembly meetings,

Network Health Photos