Network Health

Updated Apr 6, 2014

Christopher "Kit" Gorton

Values-driven and progressive...

Medford, MA

I have been working at Network Health full-time for less than a year

ProsOne of the company's core values states that their employees are their "greatest asset." From their very aggressive internal job posting policy to their benefits package they really seem to take this statement seriously. There is quite a bit of opportunity for professional growth and the mission of the company is very admirable.

ConsSome policies and procedures are hold-overs from when the company was smaller. This seems to be something of a case of "growing pains" since the company has grown substantially over the last few years. It seems as though leadership is working to correct these issues so I am sure things will get better in time.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to remember that the way things were done yesterday may no longer work today or tomorrow.

the job was fine.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Network Health full-time for more than 5 years

Prosunderstood the over all company operations

Consneeded a change since i was there for such a long time.

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Phenomal!

Medical Economics Analyst (Former Employee)
Medford, MA

I worked at Network Health full-time for more than a year

ProsFamily-oriented culture, laid back work environment, stress-free pace of work

ConsRapid changes due to Tufts acquisition. Organizational inertia when it comes to change. High turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementSalaries need to be more in line with market.

Lots of growth and opportunity

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Network Health full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe culture and people are great. There is a cooperative spirit that I have rarely seen at other organizations. The benefits are at least good, though at time of writing the salaries seem to lack by comparison to for-profit organizations.
There is considerable effort given to shuffle people around internally to take advantage of new opportunities for internal promotion or growth rather than lose experienced individuals.

ConsIt is often hard to figure out what the number 1 priority is -- company growth vs company stability vs auditing or compliance requirements.
Top-down communications between sr leadership to those below director seems to be sparse.
Project portfolio every year is huge. It's often hard to complete 100% of a project since we quickly start new ones or they drag on for longer than anticipated.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's easy to believe that because you are very familiar with the strategy, direction or any change that is coming that people further down the reporting chain are as well, but this is not the case. I'd rather see more communication down than less and this we could all use a little more.

Insurance - what were you expecting?

Applications Analyst (Current Employee)
Medford, MA

I have been working at Network Health full-time for more than a year

ProsSome of the most dedicated people working to help the most needy frost the poisoned cake of private health insurance.

ConsEveryone is very nice, even when they are nasty

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is no unified goal - sharing work and blame would go a long way. And Christina Severin is not the president - she is at BI now

Bad Management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Network Health full-time

ProsThe benefits are nice and the majority of the people are friendly.

ConsThere is a distrust of HR which really affects everything. If you have a problem with a manager, there is NO ONE to go to. My boss was the golden boy because he did all the crap work nobody else wanted to so he could do no wrong. He had awful people skills - he was awkward and didn't understand basic empoyee/manager relationships.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean out HR - provide a way for employees to provide feedback about managers and supervisors. Those people work in a vacuum and they know it.

Unprofessional work environment

Clinician (Former Employee)

I worked at Network Health full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFree coffee, good location, benevolent mission

ConsLoud, people talk all day long, sloppy dress, management absent, unstable atmoshere (management seems to change daily, etc)

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Benefits are acceptable, work life is good and flexible, management is poor

Programmer (Former Employee)

I worked at Network Health full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe work environment is very nice. The salaries are a little under the average. The benefits are good but I think that they could do better. The matching for the retirement is only 2%. It should be 3% at the minimum. The company also charges some money for the parking. Other companies absorb the entire cost. The IRS has increased this amount to $245.00 allowance and the company don't do it.

ConsI worked in the IT department and I think that the culture of the company is in the understanding that a programmer should be a business analyst, a systems analyst, a programmer, a leader, a tester and everything. That would have worked in the past when the company was small and the programming was not so complex. However the business needs and products offered by the company also grew a great deal in 3 years and HR and the company in general are in the understanding that with a small programmer pool in IT they could do the same as other bigger insurance companies do. I also could see that many young persons were hired as managers and directors in the business configuration and member enrollment teams without any experience. The situation was painful to employees under their supervision. Those teams also dont provide any help to the IT department and are very demanding in their needs.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn general there isn't a sense of respect to the employees in providing a reviewed annual evaluation by senior management or HR. A manager could just be mad one day and write a one unrespectful comment in the annual evaluation. I think there should be a review a small review every 6 months and annual evaluations and salary increases should be reviewed by more people than just the manager before being delivered to the employees. Also the directors should also communicate more ofter with their teams as Christina does with the assembly meetings,

Mistreated and total disrespect as a contractor, treated like a dog

Marketing Contractor (Former Employee)
Medford, MA

I worked at Network Health as a contractor for less than a year

Pros* pay was ok
* workload was dry and easy

Cons* Disrespect from many folks in mid-level management
* Ignored as a contractor (put in corner and never had chance to engage in social activities)
* No communication until last day (which was unexpected and not announced)
* No learning. Not the work I was promised

Advice to Senior ManagementTo the management that deals with contractors: You may have power over a contractor since they have no say in a company, but they are human beings too. I asked for a confirmation on my contract to an employee instead of my recruiter and as a result was punished by early termination. I didn't receive a goodbye or a thank you. I had to pack my things and simply disappear. It was the most strange and most disrespectful thing I have ever faced in a company.

Worked for Network Health? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Network Health reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Network Health CEO Christopher "Kit" Gorton. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by Network Health employees.