Network Rail

Updated September 22, 2014
3.4

Network Rail CEO David Higgins
David Higgins

Pros
  • Work/life balance is great as you can work from various locations (in 7 reviews)

• Good salary, good work-life balance, good benefits, (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Could do with more in house training and consider a better Work life balance (in 3 reviews)

• The very large organisational and managent hierachy makes decision making and change difficult, with too many management levels involved (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

41 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Constant change

Former Employee - Manager  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Network Rail full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Large organisation. Many opportunities to learn from other peoples mistakes. Many good and friendly colleagues.

Cons

Ensure you join the company at the highest band possible as there is little to no opportunity to progress upwards. Forced ranking on performance reviews ensure that even a top team of 5 people has to have a forced rating of poor performing even when they are not.
    Constant change is inevitable. All too often new organisational change initiatives are started when the old cycle has not completed yet and no lessons are learnt.

Remove role clarity banding and allow for more freedom to progress.

Big, complex organisation. The best thing is the people

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Network Rail full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The majority of people care about the railway and improving experience for rail users, this helps bring people together with a common goal. The people I worked with were fun, engaging and good at their jobs. Given the size of the organisation there is lots of scope to move roles and functions and many, many people do. There are a lot of long serving people at NWR.

Cons

As a big organisation it can sometimes be difficult to have your voice heard and change ingrained practice and process. The management team may benefit from finding a mechnism for employees to put their opinions forward - those people who know what needs to change most are those doing the roles every day. There is so much knowledge and ideas out there but they need to find a way to tap into it.

Network Rail As company to work

Former Employee - Project Engineer  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in London, England (UK)

I worked at Network Rail full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Big Organisation, with small minded poeple, work life balance ok depends on sections or function you are working with. Not the same case everywhere.

Cons

Managers remain always in fear if any ambitious professional joined his/her team they try to put you in un-necesary tasks from which you you wont come out and progress. Politics too much. You need to be yes man. Oppourtunities to grow for only few people(loved ones), who are yes mans, no professional considerations regarding your growth. Salary do not expect to grow, which will change or comfort your life.

This organisation could be level one organisation if management employ professional people, and develop.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

What Network Rail has done for me

Current Employee - Asset Engineer  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Asset Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Network Rail full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Network Rail has developed my professional skills and trained me through and apprenticeship, HNC and now a BEng in Building Services Engineering.
    It has given me exposure to some of the largest engineering project this country has to offer.
    You get a chance to work with a wide range of persons from all walks of life and different disciplines.
    I am proud of the work i do for Network Rail and take great pride in it.

Cons

Constant reorganization is not healthy within any company and reactionary measures brought in by new higher management is not useful. A time of implementation and reflection is now required.
    Devolution was too wide spread and affected too many disciplines, perhaps some areas should have remained centrally controlled. Managed stations being split into routes was not useful especially at a crucial time of TOC negotiations.
    With all large organizations it can take a long time to implement new technologies though i do accept this is changing.
    The Banding does not seem to reflect the accountability held within different areas of the business. Also Band fours seem to suffer poor wage increases as it is grouped with 1-3, but does not receive the higher bonus which comes with said grouping.

Centralize functions which would benefit from such a structure.
    Review banding anomalies.
    Ensure the shedding of staffing levels in some areas does not restrict other key areas of the business from filling vacancies.
    Make an attempt to push the Network Rail brand and this should include the works we do across our entire portfolio, as the TOC take a lot of the credit which our company should receive.
    With the reduction of positions we have now found that natural routes of progression no longer exist, this leads to poor productivity and forces employees out of the company at an unnatural stage. Progression planning is key and must be pushed.
    Too much focus is provided toward the graduate scheme (though good people have come, low wages for starters forces them out) and perhaps focus on training people who have "come through the ranks" should have some funding/focus.
    Directors make agreements with our working partners (TOC) at high level and undermine the hard work the lower levels have put in. This results in either: a waste of employee time and resources (making people feel worthless) or putting staff in difficlt positions as they dictate things that are wrong for our business due to lease arrangement with third party breaches.

Great

Former Employee - Finance Manager  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Finance Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Network Rail as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Good salary, great colleagues and the benefits are reasonable. Work/life balance is great as you can work from various locations.

Cons

Office politics is major and it seems like the company is top heavy.

Curate's egg

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Network Rail full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great Board, driven to really improve the company

Cons

It's a large organisation - full of great people and also some really useless leaders. Overpromoted techies who hate management

Up the ante on getting real leaders who want to do it

Section Planner/Admin

Current Employee - Section Planner/Administrative  in  Watford, East of England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Section Planner/Administrative in Watford, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Network Rail full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work Life Balance, Company values, Working Hours, and opportunities.

Cons

Biggest which i see is not well define job description. I mean by that is Section planner all over UK will be following different standards and cant take over an other planner because every area have different filling and work ethic but it same job.

I will like the management to sit down with Planners and try to bring them to same level and give then same support in all over UK.

Big beast, with a huge role to play in GB

Current Employee - Environment and Sustainability Manager  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Environment and Sustainability Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Network Rail full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fascinating organisation with lots of interesting challenges
    Doing the right thing at its heart
    Opportunity to contribute in a major way to development of the country
    Excellent work-life balance

Cons

Can be slow moving and beauracratic
    People development can be a mixed bag
    Too much ambiguity at a corporate level

Must address culture and hierarchies - organisation is built on military like reporting lines which don't serve it well
    Properly reward people for good performance (and vice versa) - there is very little incentive to do a good job, but very large incentive to get an internal promotion
    Continue recent progress clarifying overall strategy - don't let this slip

Enjoyable pleasant 17 years and would like to return to employment with them.

Former Employee - Contracts & Commercial Assistant  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Contracts & Commercial Assistant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Network Rail full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Leadership,personal growth and training have helped me get to goals.

Cons

Could do with more in house training and consider a better Work life balance.

Please could you consider ex staff to return that have really enjoyed working for Network Rail just got made redundant which was not there fault, would love to come back and work for Network Rail 17 happy years.

Network Rail is a nice place to work, the nature of the job is good, safety is good and I feel good job satisfaction.

Current Employee - Trackman  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Trackman in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Network Rail full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

promotions and leadership opportunities are good, potential for progression if you want to get a better job and the safety culture is very good so that we all work safely.

Cons

the railway is a tough industry and the demand on us to get jobs done and deliver improvements is tough. Our customers demand the best and we cannot always meet that high standard, though we try extremely hard.

work-life balance is important, therefore it is important that your employees take breaks and rest and enjoy life as well as work.

Worked for Network Rail? Contribute to the Community!