Network Rail Reviews

3.3
Network Rail CEO Mark Carne
Mark Carne

1. Excellent company to work for

Current Employee - Project Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Network Rail full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good career progression if you work hard

Cons

Can involve long hours
    Strict and unfair regulator (ORR) who are often unhelpful, invasive and politically try to influence direction regardless of what is best for the railway

Advice to Management

Great company but dont listen to the ORR

2. Good company

Current Employee - Risk Analyst in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Risk Analyst in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Network Rail full-time

Pros

The industry is complex and challenging. People are generous with their knowledge. The scale of the company means there are opportunities to progress in your career and change fields.

Cons

They do not pay particularly well, especially when you are in the South East and have received a few promotions.

Advice to Management

Benefits and compensation should reflect performance.

3. Good company with great career prospects

Current Employee - Scheme Project Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Scheme Project Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Network Rail full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good team culture and plenty of opportunities for training and additional experience, also options for varied job opportunities/work. Safety is a top priority

Cons

Change takes forever, always threat of re-orgs, negative view of the company in the press and IT/IM are really out of date.

Good people to work with, poor management involvement.

Current Contractor - Project Management in London, England (UK)
    Current Contractor - Project Management in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Network Rail as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Some good people to work with, good work/life balance, they are pretty leanient on your time keeping as long as you don't push it too far. I was a contractor so I didn't follow by the rules the standard NR clockwatchers do and I was easily efficient enough to do my job properly in the hours I worked.

Cons

Clockwatchers, higher management (pompous and lack of involvement with people actually doing the job), recruitment process (takes far too long to employ someone that they miss out), rates (and I'm guessing salary) for contractors, they pay less than the current going rate.

Advice to Management

Higher management need to work on their people skills and to actually care about the job rather than getting their fat bonsues (which other staff lower than I grade 3 do not get), get rid of the 'old guard', they are the problem and politics is rife within this organisation it's sickening.

Split personality

Former Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in London, England (UK)

I worked at Network Rail full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some good staff benefits - most of the long term employees don't realise how good they have it, so are naturally terribly dissatisfied.

Cons

The company had a real split personality between the staff attitudes, commercial grasp of things and business focus above and below the middle management level. Above was very corporate and quite hard - edged, but below was very public sector with many long term ex-British Rail staff who seemed to drag along behind senior management. This makes it difficult to proceed with general business improvements or transformation initiatives because of the lack of unity and focused vision across the company. It is too huge and too fragmented.

Advice to Management

Completely revise and revamp the way you think about communication within the business, think massively outside the box and realise one size does not fit all in a business as diverse as yours. Then fix a vision and go out to change things from within.

Constant change

Former Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Network Rail full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Large organisation. Many opportunities to learn from other peoples mistakes. Many good and friendly colleagues.

Cons

Ensure you join the company at the highest band possible as there is little to no opportunity to progress upwards. Forced ranking on performance reviews ensure that even a top team of 5 people has to have a forced rating of poor performing even when they are not.
    Constant change is inevitable. All too often new organisational change initiatives are started when the old cycle has not completed yet and no lessons are learnt.

Advice to Management

Remove role clarity banding and allow for more freedom to progress.

In my experience the true culture and ethical standards of the organisation are very poor indeed.

Former Employee - Finance Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Finance Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Network Rail full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The nature of the company's work is interesting, and some satisfaction can be had from doing your own job well.

Cons

Despite the company's claims to the contrary, bullying and cronyism remain commonplace, as does incompetence, in my experience.

Advice to Management

Please take some genuinely effective action about senior line managers' destructive bullying and cronyism.

Big, complex organisation. The best thing is the people

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Network Rail full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The majority of people care about the railway and improving experience for rail users, this helps bring people together with a common goal. The people I worked with were fun, engaging and good at their jobs. Given the size of the organisation there is lots of scope to move roles and functions and many, many people do. There are a lot of long serving people at NWR.

Cons

As a big organisation it can sometimes be difficult to have your voice heard and change ingrained practice and process. The management team may benefit from finding a mechnism for employees to put their opinions forward - those people who know what needs to change most are those doing the roles every day. There is so much knowledge and ideas out there but they need to find a way to tap into it.

What Network Rail has done for me

Current Employee - Asset Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Asset Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Network Rail full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Network Rail has developed my professional skills and trained me through and apprenticeship, HNC and now a BEng in Building Services Engineering.
    It has given me exposure to some of the largest engineering project this country has to offer.
    You get a chance to work with a wide range of persons from all walks of life and different disciplines.
    I am proud of the work i do for Network Rail and take great pride in it.

Cons

Constant reorganization is not healthy within any company and reactionary measures brought in by new higher management is not useful. A time of implementation and reflection is now required.
    Devolution was too wide spread and affected too many disciplines, perhaps some areas should have remained centrally controlled. Managed stations being split into routes was not useful especially at a crucial time of TOC negotiations.
    With all large organizations it can take a long time to implement new technologies though i do accept this is changing.
    The Banding does not seem to reflect the accountability held within different areas of the business. Also Band fours seem to suffer poor wage increases as it is grouped with 1-3, but does not receive the higher bonus which comes with said grouping.

Advice to Management

Centralize functions which would benefit from such a structure.
    Review banding anomalies.
    Ensure the shedding of staffing levels in some areas does not restrict other key areas of the business from filling vacancies.
    Make an attempt to push the Network Rail brand and this should include the works we do across our entire portfolio, as the TOC take a lot of the credit which our company should receive.
    With the reduction of positions we have now found that natural routes of progression no longer exist, this leads to poor productivity and forces employees out of the company at an unnatural stage. Progression planning is key and must be pushed.
    Too much focus is provided toward the graduate scheme (though good people have come, low wages for starters forces them out) and perhaps focus on training people who have "come through the ranks" should have some funding/focus.
    Directors make agreements with our working partners (TOC) at high level and undermine the hard work the lower levels have put in. This results in either: a waste of employee time and resources (making people feel worthless) or putting staff in difficlt positions as they dictate things that are wrong for our business due to lease arrangement with third party breaches.

Network Rail As company to work

Former Employee - Project Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in London, England (UK)

I worked at Network Rail full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Big Organisation, with small minded poeple, work life balance ok depends on sections or function you are working with. Not the same case everywhere.

Cons

Managers remain always in fear if any ambitious professional joined his/her team they try to put you in un-necesary tasks from which you you wont come out and progress. Politics too much. You need to be yes man. Oppourtunities to grow for only few people(loved ones), who are yes mans, no professional considerations regarding your growth. Salary do not expect to grow, which will change or comfort your life.

Advice to Management

This organisation could be level one organisation if management employ professional people, and develop.