Network Rail

Be The First To
Add Photos

Network Rail CEO David Higgins

David Higgins

Pros
  • I have been given plenty of opportunities to go to depots and see different parts of the business(in 4 reviews)

• Work Life Balance, Company values, Working Hours, and opportunities(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Could do with more in house training and consider a better Work life balance(in 3 reviews)

• There seems to be a re-organisation every year which can be fustrating, in my 3 years in the company there have been 3 re-organisations(in 4 reviews)

Varied

Project Manager (Current Employee) Birmingham, England (UK)

ProsQuality staff and good prospects

ConsToo many initiatives. More flexible working

Advice to Senior ManagementLess initiatives and more flexi working

It is a great place to work, with great and well experienced railway professional who care about safety.

Project Manager (Current Employee) Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

Proswork life balance is fantastic, if you work hard in the office you don't need to work late hours. great training and carrer boosting opportuntuies.

ConsThere seems to be a re-organisation every year which can be fustrating, in my 3 years in the company there have been 3 re-organisations.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet closer to the grass roots.

A progressive company that pays a fair wage

ProsI enjoy my job and my line manager is pleasant and supportive. I earn good money for what I do and there are plenty of opportunities for a long and varied career should I choose to take them.

ConsSome staff work ridiculously long hours due to unreasonably heavy workloads, inadequate staffing and 'role clarity' contracts which, in essence, mean they are required to stay until the job is done. This situation makes achieving a reasonable work-life balance virtually impossible for some employees.

While large sums of money are spent on building and upgrading main office buildings, maintenance depots and other frontline locations are run-down, dirty and depressing working environments.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend a little money on modernising and cleaning front-line locations to ensure ALL staff have a decent working environment. Upgrade IT infrastructure at these locations - ancient computers and dreadful connection speeds have a significant negative impact on productivity. Ensure no-one is expected to regularly spend in excess of 37.5 hours per week. Pay overtime when it is required.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good

ProsDevelopment opportunities, Good engineers, community

ConsPolitics, too many mangers, HR take for every to get things sorted.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your employees.

As an ex employee

Signaller (Former Employee) Falkirk, Scotland (UK)

ProsGreat company, one of the best I have worked for. I left to start up my own business. They give people a chance, good paying jobs, good chance of promotion, good wage rise, nice people.

ConsRedundant, a lot of re organisations.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo remember where they started and always think out the box. safety first is essential ! Be true and speak up.

Curate's egg

Human Resources Manager (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGreat Board, driven to really improve the company

ConsIt's a large organisation - full of great people and also some really useless leaders. Overpromoted techies who hate management

Advice to Senior ManagementUp the ante on getting real leaders who want to do it

Section Planner/Admin

Section Planner/Administrative (Current Employee) Watford, East of England, England (UK)

ProsWork Life Balance, Company values, Working Hours, and opportunities.

ConsBiggest which i see is not well define job description. I mean by that is Section planner all over UK will be following different standards and cant take over an other planner because every area have different filling and work ethic but it same job.

Advice to Senior ManagementI will like the management to sit down with Planners and try to bring them to same level and give then same support in all over UK.

Challenging with wide support and opportunities

Operational Planner Freight (Current Employee) Milton Keynes, England (UK)

ProsI love the work so much that it gives me the overwhelming desire to succeed. whilst the nature of the job does not change, no day is the same with new challenges every day.

ConsNeed ore time to develop personal goals and ambitions. More support is needed to internal growth.

Advice to Senior Managementgive at least 2 days per month to develop training goals.

Big beast, with a huge role to play in GB

Environment and Sustainability Manager (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsFascinating organisation with lots of interesting challenges
    Doing the right thing at its heart
    Opportunity to contribute in a major way to development of the country
    Excellent work-life balance

ConsCan be slow moving and beauracratic
    People development can be a mixed bag
    Too much ambiguity at a corporate level

Advice to Senior ManagementMust address culture and hierarchies - organisation is built on military like reporting lines which don't serve it well
    Properly reward people for good performance (and vice versa) - there is very little incentive to do a good job, but very large incentive to get an internal promotion
    Continue recent progress clarifying overall strategy - don't let this slip

A company of mixed bags - excellent prospects if you can deal with the many difficult people who work there.

ProsExcellent career prospects if you want to stick around, final salary pension after 5 years' service, heavily subsidised rail travel and a great team environment.

ConsStfiled by the fact the company is so heavily unionised and the fact that many front line posts are manned by absolute dinosaurs who are completely averse to change. Some very questionable offices in portacabins in less than ideal locations.

Worked for Network Rail? Contribute to the Community!