Network Rail

Updated September 18, 2014
3.4

Network Rail CEO David Higgins
David Higgins

Pros
  • I have been given plenty of opportunities to go to depots and see different parts of the business (in 4 reviews)

• Work Life Balance, Company values, Working Hours, and opportunities (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Could do with more in house training and consider a better Work life balance (in 3 reviews)

• There seems to be a re-organisation every year which can be fustrating, in my 3 years in the company there have been 3 re-organisations (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

89 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Receptionist

Current Employee - Receptionist  in  Coventry, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Receptionist in Coventry, England (UK)

I have been working at Network Rail full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The best thing about working for Network Rail is the sense of family environment. Everyone i have come across has a can do and will do attitude and is so welcoming and friendly

Cons

My shifts and sometimes the office culture

Big, complex organisation. The best thing is the people

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Network Rail full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The majority of people care about the railway and improving experience for rail users, this helps bring people together with a common goal. The people I worked with were fun, engaging and good at their jobs. Given the size of the organisation there is lots of scope to move roles and functions and many, many people do. There are a lot of long serving people at NWR.

Cons

As a big organisation it can sometimes be difficult to have your voice heard and change ingrained practice and process. The management team may benefit from finding a mechnism for employees to put their opinions forward - those people who know what needs to change most are those doing the roles every day. There is so much knowledge and ideas out there but they need to find a way to tap into it.

Network Rail As company to work

Former Employee - Project Engineer  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in London, England (UK)

I worked at Network Rail full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Big Organisation, with small minded poeple, work life balance ok depends on sections or function you are working with. Not the same case everywhere.

Cons

Managers remain always in fear if any ambitious professional joined his/her team they try to put you in un-necesary tasks from which you you wont come out and progress. Politics too much. You need to be yes man. Oppourtunities to grow for only few people(loved ones), who are yes mans, no professional considerations regarding your growth. Salary do not expect to grow, which will change or comfort your life.

This organisation could be level one organisation if management employ professional people, and develop.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

What Network Rail has done for me

Current Employee - Asset Engineer  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Asset Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Network Rail full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Network Rail has developed my professional skills and trained me through and apprenticeship, HNC and now a BEng in Building Services Engineering.
    It has given me exposure to some of the largest engineering project this country has to offer.
    You get a chance to work with a wide range of persons from all walks of life and different disciplines.
    I am proud of the work i do for Network Rail and take great pride in it.

Cons

Constant reorganization is not healthy within any company and reactionary measures brought in by new higher management is not useful. A time of implementation and reflection is now required.
    Devolution was too wide spread and affected too many disciplines, perhaps some areas should have remained centrally controlled. Managed stations being split into routes was not useful especially at a crucial time of TOC negotiations.
    With all large organizations it can take a long time to implement new technologies though i do accept this is changing.
    The Banding does not seem to reflect the accountability held within different areas of the business. Also Band fours seem to suffer poor wage increases as it is grouped with 1-3, but does not receive the higher bonus which comes with said grouping.

Centralize functions which would benefit from such a structure.
    Review banding anomalies.
    Ensure the shedding of staffing levels in some areas does not restrict other key areas of the business from filling vacancies.
    Make an attempt to push the Network Rail brand and this should include the works we do across our entire portfolio, as the TOC take a lot of the credit which our company should receive.
    With the reduction of positions we have now found that natural routes of progression no longer exist, this leads to poor productivity and forces employees out of the company at an unnatural stage. Progression planning is key and must be pushed.
    Too much focus is provided toward the graduate scheme (though good people have come, low wages for starters forces them out) and perhaps focus on training people who have "come through the ranks" should have some funding/focus.
    Directors make agreements with our working partners (TOC) at high level and undermine the hard work the lower levels have put in. This results in either: a waste of employee time and resources (making people feel worthless) or putting staff in difficlt positions as they dictate things that are wrong for our business due to lease arrangement with third party breaches.

Getting better year on year

Former Employee - Programmer Manager  in  Milton Keynes, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Programmer Manager in Milton Keynes, England (UK)

I worked at Network Rail full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Increasingly working effectively towards a common set of goals. Some really exciting programmes and projects. Passionate people with a real sense of mission and purpose.

Cons

Can still be siloed and a bit 'political', natural focus on day to day operational performance can sometime stifle longer term strategic thinking. Long hours and lots of travelling.

Continue to focus on people, shape and channel the passion and raw ability into the future

a mixed bag

Former Employee - Trackman  in  Northampton, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Trackman in Northampton, England (UK)

I worked at Network Rail full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

made lots of friend, learned a lot, great pay

Cons

down graded when department transfer, obscure hours,

all very well having highly qualified people in a glass tower but there no use if they have no trackside knowlage

Great

Former Employee - Finance Manager  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Finance Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Network Rail as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Good salary, great colleagues and the benefits are reasonable. Work/life balance is great as you can work from various locations.

Cons

Office politics is major and it seems like the company is top heavy.

Good workers but rubbish higher management

Former Employee - Site Manager  in  Ipswich, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Site Manager in Ipswich, England (UK)

I worked at Network Rail full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good pay and conditions and excellent training. The training was especially good and the attempts to communicate top to bottom were good (but the opposite in bottom to top) . Paid well with good pension

Cons

Upper management have not got a clue. The office based management are in complete ignorance of what is going on. A good example is the Safety guy who never ever left his desk in London, he should have been on site at least for 50% of his time but he worked 9-5 and never visited a site where work was happening. Senior management in general terms were very poor in man management skills and ignorant of what was happening on the ground. They do not allow workers to voice their considerable opinion that would improve things overall

Less talk down and more talk up

Middling

Former Employee - Senior Strategic Planner
    Former Employee - Senior Strategic Planner

I worked at Network Rail full-time

Pros

Good salary, good work-life balance, good benefits,

Cons

Bureaucracy, office politics, too many people who believe their job is to talk about problems rather than fix them.

Focus on clear accountabilities, and rating people on what they achieve, not how articulate and well-presented they are.

Varied

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Network Rail full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Quality staff and good prospects

Cons

Too many initiatives. More flexible working

Less initiatives and more flexi working

Worked for Network Rail? Contribute to the Community!