Network Rail

Updated December 9, 2014
3.4

Network Rail CEO David Higgins
David Higgins

Pros
  • Work/life balance is great as you can work from various locations (in 7 reviews)

• Good salary, good work-life balance, good benefits, (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Could do with more in house training and consider a better Work life balance (in 3 reviews)

• The very large organisational and managent hierachy makes decision making and change difficult, with too many management levels involved (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

99 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A great company

Current Employee - Construction Manager in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Construction Manager in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Network Rail full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company are excellent to work for, they have a great attitude towards all employees and provide a first class service.

Cons

Great company to work for, I enjoy every minute and can't wait to get up in the morning to go to work

Great management.

Good people to work with, poor management involvement.

Current Employee - Project Management in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Project Management in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Network Rail as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Some good people to work with, good work/life balance, they are pretty leanient on your time keeping as long as you don't push it too far. I was a contractor so I didn't follow by the rules the standard NR clockwatchers do and I was easily efficient enough to do my job properly in the hours I worked.

Cons

Clockwatchers, higher management (pompous and lack of involvement with people actually doing the job), recruitment process (takes far too long to employ someone that they miss out), rates (and I'm guessing salary) for contractors, they pay less than the current going rate.

Higher management need to work on their people skills and to actually care about the job rather than getting their fat bonsues (which other staff lower than I grade 3 do not get), get rid of the 'old guard', they are the problem and politics is rife within this organisation it's sickening.

Split personality

Former Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in London, England (UK)

I worked at Network Rail full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Some good staff benefits - most of the long term employees don't realise how good they have it, so are naturally terribly dissatisfied.

Cons

The company had a real split personality between the staff attitudes, commercial grasp of things and business focus above and below the middle management level. Above was very corporate and quite hard - edged, but below was very public sector with many long term ex-British Rail staff who seemed to drag along behind senior management. This makes it difficult to proceed with general business improvements or transformation initiatives because of the lack of unity and focused vision across the company. It is too huge and too fragmented.

Completely revise and revamp the way you think about communication within the business, think massively outside the box and realise one size does not fit all in a business as diverse as yours. Then fix a vision and go out to change things from within.

Controlling The railway. The unknown workers.

Current Employee - West Yorkshire Incident Controller in York, England (UK)
    Current Employee - West Yorkshire Incident Controller in York, England (UK)

I have been working at Network Rail full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I enjoy the comradeship of my fellow workers. Finding solutions to problems, and getting the right response from the staff available. The friendship of most other railway workers. Fortunately I joined the railways long enough ago to get travel facilities. I have liked the railways from my earliest memories, and got into signalling on my 5th birthday. Never wanted to drive a train, but wanted to control them.

Cons

New entrants do not get any travel concessions. There is still some blame culture (but this has improved from the "Railtrack" years). There is still a lot of misunderstanding between departments and the control about what each can do when requested to attend incidents. Most of the average public still do not understand much about railway operation (Despite several recent documentary's on TV). Very difficult to get anything done about poor performing staff who do not make mistakes, but seem unable to do the job required of them.

Work out a travel concession for new staff. May not be as much as free travel, but the 25% fares would be a good incentive. There is not enough encouragement for established staff to promote themselves and carry out personal improvement.

An awful lot depends on how good your manager is. My last manager was amazing.

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager

I worked at Network Rail full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It's a more complex (and interesting) organisation than you might think. I worked on lots of cross department projects, and loved always learning new things about the organisation. I also loved working with a broad spectrum of people. There are great formal development courses, a great intranet site (really) where you can find out almost anything, reasonable working hours and perks and some very nice offices.

Cons

I couldn't believe how bureaucratic it was when I started working there. I think this has improved a little but you need to be prepared to navigate some pretty frustrating ways of working.
    Management are of variable quality. I've had some brilliant managers over the last few years who helped create opportunities for me, but before that I was at the mercy of several shocking ones and they appeared to go unchecked.
    Constant ineffectual re-organisations.
    Also the number of people who want to make decisions on things which are outside their span of control is quite extraordinary - it makes getting anything decided extremely time consuming.

Behavioural change will never take place whilst senior management are allowed to behave as always. It seems that almost any behaviour is tolerated as long as targets are met, and there are some managers who should have been removed long ago who instead continue to be promoted.

Public Purse should be better kept

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milton Keynes, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milton Keynes, England (UK)

I worked at Network Rail as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Massive opportunity to make positive change. Some extremely capable and decent people with a real desire to make a difference.

Cons

Horribly siloed and hierarchical. Many strategy working groups but no strategy & creaking progress. Terrible IT. Seemingly little accountability. Vast number of contractors.

Streamline or flatline

Receptionist

Current Employee - Receptionist in Coventry, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Receptionist in Coventry, England (UK)

I have been working at Network Rail full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best thing about working for Network Rail is the sense of family environment. Everyone i have come across has a can do and will do attitude and is so welcoming and friendly

Cons

My shifts and sometimes the office culture

Constant change

Former Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Network Rail full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Large organisation. Many opportunities to learn from other peoples mistakes. Many good and friendly colleagues.

Cons

Ensure you join the company at the highest band possible as there is little to no opportunity to progress upwards. Forced ranking on performance reviews ensure that even a top team of 5 people has to have a forced rating of poor performing even when they are not.
    Constant change is inevitable. All too often new organisational change initiatives are started when the old cycle has not completed yet and no lessons are learnt.

Remove role clarity banding and allow for more freedom to progress.

In my experience the true culture and ethical standards of the organisation are very poor indeed.

Former Employee - Finance Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Finance Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Network Rail full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The nature of the company's work is interesting, and some satisfaction can be had from doing your own job well.

Cons

Despite the company's claims to the contrary, bullying and cronyism remain commonplace, as does incompetence, in my experience.

Please take some genuinely effective action about senior line managers' destructive bullying and cronyism.

Big, complex organisation. The best thing is the people

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Network Rail full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The majority of people care about the railway and improving experience for rail users, this helps bring people together with a common goal. The people I worked with were fun, engaging and good at their jobs. Given the size of the organisation there is lots of scope to move roles and functions and many, many people do. There are a lot of long serving people at NWR.

Cons

As a big organisation it can sometimes be difficult to have your voice heard and change ingrained practice and process. The management team may benefit from finding a mechnism for employees to put their opinions forward - those people who know what needs to change most are those doing the roles every day. There is so much knowledge and ideas out there but they need to find a way to tap into it.