Network Solutions Reviews

• Herndon, VA
  • Any Status
Employment Status

Reset

1. Its a Name, but thats it.

I have been working at Network Solutions

Pros

Its a name. And if whoever your interviewing with hasn't already interviewed 20 people from there, it's a good name to have on your resume, because unless you've worked there, you thinks its a good place to work. I was able to move up quite rapidly.... to a point. The benifits are indded excellent. And if you work in the Belleville office, HR is great.

Cons

Lets see. 3 CEOs in 2 years should tell you something? I've worked there for 3 years and not once seen a bonus. The pay is not competitive in the VA area. They trick you into things that arent the best for you. Your expected to work overtime for no extra pay, and when you don't, hear things like "Your just not doing enough." or "We want you to dedicate more time here." Management reminds me of a baby looking at shiney objects, unable to keep focus on one thing for more than a month, and then moving on to the next. Its all about making money quick... not growing the business.

Advice to Management

Get back to the basics. Great ideas don't come from the top, they come from the bottom. Stop chasing shiney objects. Make your employees happy, encourage them to be creative, motivate them, and the rest will follow.

2. Neutral on Network Solutions

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Network Solutions

Pros

Now quick to adopt new technologies

Cons

Lack of employee career development

Advice to Management

Listen to customer and employees

3. Technical Support Analyst II

Current Employee - Technical Support Analyst II in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Analyst II in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Network Solutions

Pros

Fair benefits, management willing to work with you, flexibility is a key component, management tends to listen to what you have to say.

Cons

pay, unrealistic expectations of employees, things can be bad for a long time and never be fixed, unfair to customers

Advice to Management

keep trying and listening to your employees, or else you are doomed as a company. we are talking, but it seems like to deaf ears

5. Overall a good place to work, but as in most companies - be prepared for regular shifts in direction and priorities.

Former Employee - Marketing in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Herndon, VA

I worked at Network Solutions

Pros

Talented and helpful staff with team approach to projects. CEO is interested in hearing from staff, and he also tries to be open with updates to company status.

Cons

Long hours for the mid-level staff--not senior staff. Fire alarm approach to many issues and constant shift in organizational priorities.

Advice to Management

think before making everyone else jump.

6. Good people being driven away by management with no vision.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Network Solutions

Pros

The people are talented, friendly and hard workinging.

Cons

Poor management expects more for less every year. Most of those that were long time employees in management have take the $$ and run like rats from a sinking ship.

Advice to Management

Quit the rhetoric and do something. Cut, cut, cut is not the way to grow the company. Plan for the future.

7. Hoping it gets better.

I have been working at Network Solutions

Pros

Network Solutions, is almost as old as the Internet, they had the monopoly on domains for years.

Funded in 1979 they used to be the leaders in the domain space, now they are probably number 4, and they have a good following in hosting.

As of now Network Solutions manages more than 6.6 million domain names. Their size, founding status, and longevity have made them one of the most important corporations affecting domain name price and policy.

Cons

Many different owning companies all wanting just more ROI, or eventually an IPO. Both have not happened yet, nor will they happen given the current economic climate.

Short recent history: In 2003, Network Solutions was acquired by Pivotal Equity Group, and in February 6, 2007, Network Solutions announced that General Atlantic, a private equity firm that focuses on tech companies had entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Network Solutions yet again.

Even though they have very good financial, and are for the most part cash rich, this is clearly not enough the company is focused now on cutting costs, and has begun downsizing significantly. This has hit morale hard, since a sizable chunk of the workforce is gone now, and no one knows if more will be gone soon. Sad part, is the company is very solid financially.

Advice to Management

Focus, excel at something.
    Believe in life / work balance, don't just talk about it.

8. Web Developers Should Work For a Web Development Company

I have been working at Network Solutions

Pros

We are very aggressive at reaching our goals and targets. There is never a dull day, but if there were it would be welcomed. Honestly, it's a lot of fun and rewarding to see such a strong customer base buy into what we work very hard to produce.

Cons

We are going through a transition with new C-level leaders. We recently got a new CEO, CTO, CMO, CKO you name it. That's not the downside though. The downside is the fact these new people are very adamant in reaching our goals which sometimes pushes the rest of us to get burnt out. Luckily, they claim this overworking pace won't last.

Advice to Management

Senior Management must be more realistic when predicting our year-end goals to the Board. Each year our goals and targets have been out of range. The problem arises when the rest of the employees are tasked with working extremely hard at trying to reach something that may not be attainable. With new C-levels they may be more realistic for 2009.

9. NS will be a leader in technology but has been trailing in the employee recognition and compensation arena for too long.

I have been working at Network Solutions

Pros

It is rapidly becoming more intriguing to work at Network Solutions because we are expanding our horizons and are becoming more visionary with an emphasis on thought leadership in our space.
    We have had a host of wholesale upper management changes with a new CEO and CIO being put in place that while has some nervous about the stability of the company, has many folks excited for new times that will increase the emphasis on innovation and out-of-the-box thinking.

Cons

The morale is poor and a small subset of the entire company (less than 10%) are responsible for upwards of 75% of the total accomplishments.
    The expectations of our upper management and executive teams can be unrealistic.
    Our executive team has yet to truly instill culture change but instead have many working within the "old ways" but harder by pushing new accelerated workflows and projects.

Advice to Management

Be more cognizant of change and the affect that it has on all staff.
    Recognize individuals more frequently for their contributions.
    Stop expecting that the world revolves around the company vision and that good people are the necessary lubricant to success.

You're better off somewhere else.

Former Employee - Engineer in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Herndon, VA

I worked at Network Solutions

Pros

There aren't many good reasons to work for this company. But here are a few:

1. You need a job
    2. Management keeps employees involved in the loop with what's going on.
    3. Responsive & friendly HR department

Cons

There really aren't too many reasons why you'd want to work for this company, and its reflected in the company's high turnover rate. A few managers tend to micro-manage & are territorial. One IT manager had very little understanding of technology in general. Office politics is alive and well here. Here's a quick list of the cons:

1. People with egos
    2. Limited salary / job growth
    3. Managers lacking in both IT skills or knowledge.
    4. Managers who like to micro-manage.
    5. High turnover rate
    6. Low salaries
    7. Business is losing customers to competitors
    8. Low employee morale

Advice to Management

1. Lower the prices you charge. You're losing customers
    2. Increase wages. You're losing valuable talent