Neudesic Reviews

Updated September 15, 2014
3.6

Neudesic CEO Parsa Rohani
Parsa Rohani

Pros
  • Good place to learn new technologies and how they get applied in Neudesic projects (in 8 reviews)

• I am fortunate enough to be working for a group that value work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Micro Management at manager level and consultant level spies who creep behind you (in 9 reviews)

• Senior management lacks vision and strategy (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Smart people, Vision for the future, Respect for skilled technical resources

I have been working at Neudesic full-time

Pros

Highly respect skilled technical resources. Constantly trying to align the company for growth and to optimize the teams. Executive team is approachable

Cons

Constant change creates confusion and job flux for people in middle management. Communication to the field sometimes is minimal and creates rumors and confusion.

Let smart people do their jobs, avoid the micro-management trap. Communicate early and often and then listen to the feedback. The company is too big to treat like a start-up or a toy

You get what you put into it!

Current Employee - Principal Consultant  in  Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Neudesic full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Variety of client work
    Good reputation in the industry
    Pay is competitive to the market and skill requirement
    Good work is recognized and valued.

Cons

Benefits are so so.
    Annual management reorganizations
    Travel can be brutal at times

Embrace the growth and allow good candidates to be hired when they are available.
    Put sales numbers on the sales execs on all practices, not just the Neudesic products.

Great place to acquire technical skills

Former Employee - Senior Consultant III  in  Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant III in Irvine, CA

I worked at Neudesic full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Will always find challenging work, very talented people to work with and great learning enviornment

Cons

benefits are not great, challenging to find long term projects hence they grow and shrink very fast

Need to show long term commitment in your talented resources you should not let go talented people in an event of inadequate work or slow business and improve you sales channel

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Technology savvy professionals to work with and to learn from

Current Employee - ALM Architect I  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - ALM Architect I in Austin, TX

I have been working at Neudesic full-time for more than a year

Pros

Neudesic has a culture derived from its early roots with Microsoft: it tends to hire people with a highly technical background, even if they are at sales and management. This provides an environment where technical prowess is valued, and where merit is taken into account when being promoted.

Cons

The company is growing its overall business so sometimes it has to retreat from overreaching into the market. Travel needs are a lot depending on the market you live in, and your specialization.

It needs more and/or better expansion planning so that the business cycles don't catch them by surprise. It could also do better in the process of laying off senior executives. The current process is rather abrupt.

90+ Hour Work Week!

Former Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Irvine, CA

I worked at Neudesic full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great People! Excellent Reputation! Chance for advancement!

Cons

Upsizing too fast! Trying to Tackle Too Much Too Fast! Training takes a back seat!

Can't put a square peg in a round hole!

Wish I'd come onboard sooner

Current Employee - Principal Consultant II  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant II in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Neudesic full-time for less than a year

Pros

Aggressive and responsive technology practices. Constantly improving practices, utilizing feedback, applying new patterns. Interesting work, great work from home flexibility. I'm lucky to be on a project team, rather than staff aug, which might affect my outlook somewhat. Great team culture. Great lunch/drinks culture.

Cons

Having a hard time hiring enough people to meet all our needs/potential needs. Occasional cases of difficulty communicating with offshore team members.

Continue to improve and adapt practices as you're already doing.

Best Consulting Culture

Current Employee - National Director  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - National Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Neudesic full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing coworkers, better inter-practice and inter-region collaboration than I've seen anywhere else. Supportive and collegial atmosphere. Great opportunities for advancement, and an ability to forge your own path. If you don't want to be the smartest guy in the room anymore, this is the place to be. There is an amazing culture of innovation here, and the company's products, solutions, frameworks, and accelerators set Neudesic apart from the competition.

Cons

Communication can be spotty sometimes, culture of constant change is off-putting to some who prefer predictability.

Sloppy bonus-chasing management

Former Employee - Senior Consultant II  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant II in Portland, OR

I worked at Neudesic full-time for less than a year

Pros

There was always the potential to work in various modern software technologies with top technical people, but the bottom line is Neudesic only tackles large contracts, ignoring many small but technically challenging greenfield development opportunities that would keep their consultants happy and fulfilled.

Cons

The local office for which I worked simply wasted my abilities and experience on boring leftover projects, ill-conceived failed discovery projects, and poorly-managed IT projects - often outside my home city, necessitating much inconvenient travel. And when I was also subjected to major verbal abuse and condescension from a senior colleague, I received no support and no remediation. And that abuser has been allowed to continue working at Neudesic.

Stop the bonus-chasing culture for your management. It affects all the non-bonus-earning technical people who end up with limited technical opportunities and severe stress because of it. And that's why most of the colleagues I once worked with are now no longer at Neudesic.

Great company, passionate people

Current Employee - Manager  in  Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Neudesic full-time for less than a year

Pros

Just a great group of people who are passionate about what they do and who also have fun doing it. The company also seems to do a good job of hiring people that are highly competent in their respective fields.

Cons

Too many good ideas, not enough time.

As with many companies that are “lean and mean”, it is difficult for everyone to follow through on all the important initiatives due to limited bandwidth. Management should regularly communicate to people which projects are the highest priority ones to focus on.

Not worth your time

Former Employee - Practice Director
    Former Employee - Practice Director

I worked at Neudesic full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are certainly a couple of positives to the company:

1.) The consultants you work with will generally be fairly top notch technicians and generally all around good people, with few exceptions. This extends (typically) to the account execs and a few of the operational folks, but that's where the boundary ends.

2.) If you're looking for a better salary, by all means, go to Neudesic and do not leave ANYthing on the table. Whatever they offer you - tack on 15-20% more. Benefits aren't great, and it doesn't take more than a fairly simple financial justification to show how much you'd be hurt (again-typically) going to Neudesic. Moreover, the manner in which they staff (sort of a "just in time" model) further opens financial opportunity for you. Just ignore the bonus plan as any part of your compensation because it's drivel if you're not a Director or better. Ignore that in any financial calculations you perform.

Cons

This is certainly a pretty non-exhaustive list, but suffice it to say, there's a reason I took a pay cut to leave Neudesic. I would encourage you to peruse LinkedIn and look at the exodus taking place. At this point, the departures, by and large, are not involuntary. For example, pretty sure the vast majority of the CRM practice (including the head of it) now works for a competitor. Sales execs have left in droves. Sinking ship, you say?

1.) You don't get the tools you need to do your job.

For a company that's supposedly bringing advanced solutions to bear for customers, I can't say how many times it's been painfully embarrassing to compare MSDN SKUs with customers. The vast majority of enterprises are on Ultimate. You get Professional (maybe it's Premium, but I'm fairly certain it was the former).

This extends beyond MSDN. I had a team that needed a tool that was about $500/seat. Requested it and it went to the ether... of course, the customer came to the rescue and bought the licenses anyway. Pretty embarrassing.

Then again, all of this is a step up from the former situation Neudesic was in where they were "sharing" an MSDN license. While they do get licenses to VS only for their partner level, all MSDN products were available on the LAN and several people had the password to the account. Yes, as you know, there's no such thing as a "shared" license.

2.) No operational maturity.

If you've worked in a proper consultancy before, you'll cringe. As a great example, apparently it just occurred to them after 10 years that you should include bench time when figuring out loaded cost for an employee. Of course, this could've been just what was claimed, because it's pretty inconceivable for a consultancy not to account for this, but hey...

Of course, this has an impact in that every account exec was impacted by this sudden realization. Oops! Note the exodus of account execs from Linked In. And Practice Directors for that matter.

3.) Your PTO counts against you.

If you're a consultant (i.e. below a Director), your time off counts against you when it comes to 'bonus' calculations. Note that few consultancies include your time off when calculating your chargeability. So back to the point in the "Pros" with respect to your financial modeling - toss the bonus out the window when doing your math, unless something drastically changes.

4.) My way or the highway (if you're the CEO).

Don't really want to get into this too much, suffice it to say - he will get down into the details and may or may not arbitrarily penalize you (outside of your employment agreement, mind you) because he doesn't like the way a customer behaved (or even when it's their own operational failure).

The list goes on, but that's a short and not so sweet version of it. Don't waste your time...work for one of their competitors that knows what's going on.

Form a board, sit on it, and hire executives that have run large consultancies before. No, MCS doesn't count.

You do not have the operational capability to achieve your stated financial goals and wasting capital on fluff projects is not the way to get there either.

Worked for Neudesic? Contribute to the Community!