Neustar

Neustar Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Neustar President and CEO Lisa A. Hook

Lisa A. Hook

Pros
  • Company has great benefits, it's one of the reasons people stay(in 22 reviews)

• Great benefit including work life balance, 401K and insurance etc(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has no clear or effective strategy to make new company acquisitions work(in 10 reviews)

• The company is a constant reorg mode with little to no strategic thought in the reorg(in 5 reviews)

Good Company Gone Bad

Sales Team (Current Employee) McLean, VA

ProsThe only thing going for Neustar right now is their benefits.

ConsManagement is completely out of the loop and they need to have a reality check to bring them down from in the clouds. They have no idea of what lack of direction they are giving nor the internal chaos throughout the organization. The amount of people that are getting ready to walk out of the door is completely out of control, and management has their blinders on. Lisa Hook (the absent CEO) is doing more damage than good right now.

Neustar has ZERO senior leadership right now as they are all running scared and afraid of being laid off like so many of their former colleagues. It is literally the killing fields right now. Every day is a new announcement of yet another member of the team leaving.

Not pleasant. Unbearable. Everyone is focused on covering their butts. Is it any wonder that top clients are demanding 50% reductions in their contracts? Is it any wonder that sales is at less than 50% of goal with mere weeks left in the quarter?

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow a pair and stand up to Lisa Hook and Alex Berry! Spend some time talking to your employees and find out what they are seeing/hearing in the market, and stop making weekly changes to the pitch, the strategy, and the direction this company is going in. Or just keep doing what you are doing and you'll loose every ounce of talent left.

Stop hiring consultants and listening to their feedback, versus getting the feedback from your tenured talent. When was the last time sales sat in a room and shared what they are experiencing in the market? Zero in the 3+ years that I have been there!!

Good vision, solid company, inconsistent leadership

ProsFantastic benefits and work/life balance. Mgt has charted a potentially lucrative vision for the future and the company has all the resources it needs to succeed. Mid-level managers have typically been promoted from within and are generally well respected by their teams. There are efforts afoot to transform the company from a slow-moving telecom infrastructure provider to a fast moving, customer-centric provider of information and analytics but only time will tell if these efforts succeed. There is pure gold in Neustar's data but it remains to be seen if the company has the ability to take full advantage of it.

ConsThis is not a very exciting place to work - particularly Sterling. It's actually a bit boring. The offices are cube farms where people generally keep to themselves.

Neustar's Senior Leadership appears to lack accountibility for failures to execute, and, seem reluctant to accept the risks inherent to a culture of innovation. Failure patterns are repeated every 9-12 months as expensive consultants chart courses of action that leadership is unable or unwilling to implement. Leaders express a desire for culture change, but, those with the greatest ability to affect change seem the least willing to embody it. Employees see management saying one thing and doing another - and as a result - rightfully question their sincerity.

Efforts to become more customer-centric are improving, but, are moving slowly. This is due, among other things, to a lack of Product Management competencies within the organization, and, a disproportionate level of influence across the company within the Finance organization - a naturally conservative group that seems oblivious to the chilling effect it has on Neustar's ability to execute the vision and embrace change.

Advice to Senior ManagementWalk the talk.

Good Company to Work For

ProsThe company is moving in exciting directions and there are a lot of opportunities to learn new things. The benefits package is very good.

ConsThere a re-orgs every 6-9 months. Some high level employees suffer no consequences for repeated failures. A lotof buzz words are thrown about.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart showing consequences for failures at the VP and SVP levels.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

High-growth company with a bright future

ProsGreat career and growth opportunities, can help shape the future of the company and the industry, awesome people to work with, professional but relaxed work environment, get to do highly valued, impactful work, lots of change happening which is exciting to be part of

ConsThings move fast - which some people like and other don't, but it's necessary given the transformation we are trying to make - we can't win by doing the same things the same way

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more accessible, communicate decisions and the why behind them

Flying fast but a bit of a turbulent ride

ProsThe leadership is dedicated to reinventing the (already successful) company. Having a vision to take a company through this takes commitment and courage. Have the leadership team got the stomach for the journey? Time will tell. Lots of talent at the company. Want to work with a smart crew? This might be the place for you. Good comp package. Nice working conditions.

ConsRaw talent alone doesn't guarantee success. Some people don't see the same vision but can't afford to get off the ride due to the generous comp package.

Advice to Senior ManagementStick to your guns. Have the courage to build the next iteration of this awesome company.

It's Been a Great Joy

Manager (Current Employee) Sterling, VA

ProsNeustar has a world-class team of technical and business experts. In my opinion, no one is better at telephone numbering in the world and the expanding business of information and analytics will provide top-line growth for years to come.

ConsIf you are looking for a massive company with cushy retirement benefits at the staff level, it may not be the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementI admire the great work that you are doing.

Very happy here and plan to stay

ProsGreat company, great benefits. Room for career advancement.

ConsUnorganized priorities at times. Career paths not well defined.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake notice and recognize of the top talent you have.

Good Company

Data Related (Current Employee)

ProsGreat benefits, good people, positive outlook

ConsReally slow, conflicting messages, disregard those not in upper management

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want more innovation, give employees an incentive to innovate.

God save this great company from the evil, inefficient & ineffective top management.

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Sterling, VA

ProsGreat working env, very good pay and benefits, lot of opportunities to learn and practice.

ConsLousy senior management for the past few years with confused vision & strategy. Unnecessary and frequent organizational changes. Little or no respect to the experienced, skilled and talented technical staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone because they are not in a position to listen or understand.

Great place to work

ProsNeustar values it's employees and is in the process of changing the business and the culture and it all for the good. The company is moving in the right direction and senior leadership has involved employees from various levels to champion our culture change. Benefits and compensation are very comparable if not above those in the marketplace. We are making a huge effort to ensure that those we hire are good fits in the company so that they can easily fit in to help us move the business forward. We are on the right path - we may stumble along the way but we will achieve!

ConsWork/Life balance is not always the best. There are peaks and valleys as there are in all companies so I don't think there is much that can be done about it and I don't think you will find the grass greener on the other side.

Worked for Neustar? Contribute to the Community!