Neustar

Neustar Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Neustar President and CEO Lisa A. Hook

Lisa A. Hook

Pros
  • Company has great benefits, it's one of the reasons people stay(in 22 reviews)

• Great benefit including work life balance, 401K and insurance etc(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has no clear or effective strategy to make new company acquisitions work(in 10 reviews)

• The company is a constant reorg mode with little to no strategic thought in the reorg(in 5 reviews)

Amazing people/culture and incredibly gratifying work!

Human Resources (Current Employee) Sterling, VA

ProsThe culture and people are hands down amazing. I am genuinely excited to come into work everyday because the team I work with is such a joy to be around. We motivate and support each other, and it feels like we have been friends for years. Compensation package and benefits are a huge pro, as well as the workplace itself. The work is challenging, but rewarding. Work/life balance is another pro. The managers and leadership are extremely receptive and understanding when personal issues arise and work must take a backseat. I am extremely happy here and can't wait to see what the future has in store for Neustar!

ConsSometimes the upper management isn't as hands on as they need to be - but this is true for any growing organization. Things may seem unorganized sometimes because the company is changing and evolving - and those who can't keep up and aren't open to change are left behind. This is a NATURAL process in any growing business.

Advice to Senior ManagementTouch base with your teams more frequently; it would be nice to know that senior leadership genuinely cares about the smaller projects and tasks we are working on.

Changes is a constant here

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Sterling, VA

ProsGood compensation package and benefits. The vision to switch to Information analytics company is a exciting

Consbeen here for a long time and have seen many changes over the years. Looking back, some of the changes were for the better for sure. but in the last 2-3 years the changes have been one after another, with very little time for the dust to settle. Recently almost 8% (approx 120) of employees were laid off. We've had these lay offs before, but this one feels different - like we are preparing for the worst with the pending NPAC rebid with the FCC. Times are rough at neustar right now. Hopefully, things will get better...
    Also - at a higher level of management, who you know goes much further than what you achieve -- not a great way to run a business.

Advice to Senior Managementreward achievement and results - not your buddies.

One of the worst professional experiences ever.

Sales (Current Employee)

ProsThe benefits and pay are great at this company. Depending on what department you're in, there may also be a very flexible expense account.

ConsCompany's core business is rapidly deteriorating. Company is attempting growth through acquisitions- always a questionable and risky model. Upper management are rather dense and unknowledgeable. Upper management has no clear or effective strategy to make new company acquisitions work. One month leadership says the company is going in one direction, then it's 180 degrees the next month. This goes on and on and on.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your subordinates good reasons to respect you.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Regular chaotic changes.

ProsGood benefits. Great talent among their staff. They also encourage career development.

ConsThey change their vision regularly and have reorgs regularly to accompany each change, every 6-9 months. They also often let go of entire teams. If senior management were more involved, maybe they would use some of their top talent instead of letting them go and prevent some of the chaos.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management should be more involved in the business.

Smart people, but needs a vision that can be executed

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Sterling, VA

ProsEmployees fairly compensated per average rates in Northern Virginia. Lots of smart people to work with making the work interesting.

ConsDecisions did not always seem to make sense from a long term perspective. Lots of manual processes

Advice to Senior ManagementMake automation a priority, Fiercely prioirtize what gets worked on.

Neustar has been great in terms of benefits it offers

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Sterling, NE

ProsBenefits, salary, commute for ashburn folks

Constoo much turmoil with somany changes in direction

Advice to Senior Managementfocus on work-life balance

Ups and Downs

Technology (Current Employee) Sterling, VA

ProsFor the most part, the people here are brilliant, hard-working, energetic, and fun to be around. The majority of my colleagues are people I'd hang out with outside of work.

The benefits are great: tuition reimbursement; adoption assistance; a fantastic Wellness program that gets better every year; external activities, like Habitat for Humanity, Toastmasters, and fundraising events; and more.

"Spot Awards" -- small bonuses -- can be handed out by any employee to any other employee for a specific "great job!" moment.

It's nice to finally have a CTO who allows us to try new things and to fail without fear of getting fired.

ConsThere's a lot of fear surrounding job security: with all of the recent reorgs and layoffs, no one is safe. We recently lost a lot of people who I never would have expected to be laid off. The reason? "Their skills don't fit with where we're going." What are those skills? "We don't know."

There are several reorgs a year, which is insane.

Bell-curve performance ranking makes it almost impossible to recognize employees who go above and beyond.

We spend A LOT of money on new office buildings.

Advice to Senior ManagementWalk around more than your building. Stop hiring your friends (*cough*AOL*cough*) and hire the most competent people.

Great company to work for. Been here 5.5 years and plan to stay much longer!

Professional Services (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThis is the best company I've worked for. The benefits are amazing and Neustar cares about our health and wellness by sponsoring many health related events. Compensation is competitive and the bonus structure is great. I love who I work with. Everyone is very friendly and everyone seems to get along. My position is very flexible in terms of telecommuting and hours which is great. While being at Neustar, I've moved up 4 positions allowing me to continue to drive success and be gainfully employed.

ConsThis is a very sales focused business and if you aren't in sales, some meetings can be boring and seeming irrelevant to your daily duties.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work!

Disruption is good...change is hard for many.

ProsTaking bold action is growing in popularity! I'be been here for 4 years and have witnessed the transformation of our once stagnant company to a thriving game changing organization! Taking calculated risk, taking initiative, and speaking up are expected from EVERY employee! I personally love this, but many people have a hard time with change and prefer to work in a quiet and monotonous position—this is definitely not Neustar!

Disruption is not for the light hearted!

ConsAs the company continues to evolve as the leader in commerical insights and transform the culture to a highly motivated and accountable workforce, we're challenged with people who can't seem to grow and learn fast enough for our business.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to be a servant to your employees...it will go a long way!

Don't expect to make a career of working here.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLooks like they're paying people to shill for them in glassdoor reviews now. Benefits are very good, although it sounds like things are taking a turn for the worse based on what I hear from those still "on the inside." Most technology-related teams are tight and function well together, and you'll be quickly accepted if you can prove you can do more than "talk the talk." Lower level managers and directors have usually worked their way up in the company and know/care about their subordinates, while higher ups are either political or friends in need of a job hires, and mostly worthless.

ConsIncredibly disjointed senior management structure. Reorgs every four to six months, layoffs/firings just as often. Company rarely hires from within, but if you worked with someone in senior management at AOL in a previous job, you're in, qualified or not (and they usually were not). Process for process sake. Very political environment. Most company revenue is related to a single product (NPAC), and Neustar is desperately trying to branch out in case they lose the NPAC contract or need to lower prices.

Advice to Senior ManagementLooks like you all haven't learned from your mistakes at previous companies. Try hiring senior management that has some intelligence, and don't run off any smart people who are still there, if any are left.

Worked for Neustar? Contribute to the Community!