Neustar Reviews

Updated October 22, 2014
2.9

Neustar President and CEO Lisa A. Hook
Lisa A. Hook

Pros
  • Company has great benefits, it's one of the reasons people stay (in 24 reviews)

• Great benefit including work life balance, 401K and insurance etc (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has no clear or effective strategy to make new company acquisitions work (in 12 reviews)

• The company is a constant reorg mode with little to no strategic thought in the reorg (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to work

I have been working at Neustar full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots to learn, great benefit, lots of career opportunities

Cons

Some bureaucracy typical of a big company

Lack of Momentum

I have been working at Neustar full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, Culture, co-workers, middle management, flexibility

Cons

Constant change in leadership and reorgs makes it difficult if not impossible to set and achieve goals. If the benefits and compensation become impacted, look for a mass exodus.

Great Benefits/Poor Exective Managment

Current Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Sterling, VA

I have been working at Neustar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The CTO has left the building.

Great Benefits (the only reason most people stay)

Cons

Neustar is a case study in the Dunning–Kruger effect. This phenomenon is pervasive in the upper ranks.

Constance re-orgs. I've reported to 6 directors in 4 years.

I feel like no one is running the company. Every department is going in a different direction.

Good ideas from the lower ranks are crushed by the old timers with no ideas.

Stop trying to be like Google. Imitation is not innovation.

Stop with the re-orgs. Give us a stable organizational structure.

Great mid and lower level talent.

I have been working at Neustar

Pros

Good money and generous benefits

Cons

constant turmoil, especially toward the top--forced turnover.

Value all employees, don't just say you do.

Great learning experience of different applications.

Former Employee - Technical Applications Engineer in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Technical Applications Engineer in Englewood, CO

I worked at Neustar full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great management as well as paid and benefits.

Cons

Nothing negative to say about the company.

Keep up the great work...

Free at last, Free at last

I have been working at Neustar full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Super good benefits that keep you trapped for too long. Neustar is the perfect place to seek employment when you need to learn that money isn't everything.

Cons

Let me tell you how chaotic this company is with one easy illustration. Now that it is likely that Neustar may lose the NPAC, law firms are calling former employees to assist an investigation into statements made by the Executive leadership to support a class action lawsuit. Really? Who needs this crap after you have left.

Come clean with the Board of Directors and then resign so that what little integrity you have left is preserved and provide the employees with at least an opportunity to be included in a new re-constituted company.

Work environment is not friendly

Current Employee - Developer in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Developer in Sterling, VA

I have been working at Neustar as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Manager who leads the Project does not know anything about IT/Sfotware engineering at all. Team lead and manager always fight about something and this office is full of people who are very politicians and talk behind back with collegues. I would not recommend this place to anyone................

Cons

New IT and upper management with an "everything sucks here" attitude. They are always talking in different language and they don't really care who is around them.

office culture overall sucks.

One more round of layoff ...

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Neustar full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is really depends on group . In my group people are super nice.

Cons

One more round of layoff ...
    If you do not have political cloud and if anything goes wrong weather you worked on it or not you will be the one on chopping block. Always changing direction and doing the same thing over and over .

Try to find the root cause instead of blind follow the middle management.
    Try to stick to a business model for some time to see it is fail or success.

Salesforce system administrator

Former Employee - Salesforce Administrator in Sterling, VA
    Former Employee - Salesforce Administrator in Sterling, VA

I worked at Neustar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fast paced, learning opportunity. Used to be a great org to work for.

Cons

Make you work like a dog.

Get an idea about how sales should run.

Liars, bait and switch, ego based management, reward and promotions strictly on politics, closed minded orderly approach

Current Employee - User Experience Design in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - User Experience Design in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Neustar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

none, really, the nice and most qualified people left the company. It is going downhill, like the stock. — There are only about 4-5 people I consider worthwhile coworkers, and only two of them are in management.

Cons

lower experienced management promoted through politics, decline of people skills in new management, does not value loyal staff devoted to good work. More value for hierarchical claim of credit than open discussion and deserved recognition. I see new junior workers treated rudely and devalued for no reason. I think they are hired to boost lower skilled management egos, really. It is no longer a supportive collaborative environment. People use the blame game to cover their own mistakes rather than to resolve. … I was actually told while working there to work slower and not post all of my work on confluence so the lead developer did not appear to be behind, and to make her look like a better worker. It was one of the more boring jobs I've held. I'm looking forward to getting back to working with more genuine people with less corporate cover ups. … The bait and switch of others is unethical. One day someone was told told they will get help with a work visa for helping the company and dumped for no reason of performance when the time of need came. I have seen others told promises of training in front of a group of people and pulled aside within 5 minutes to be told it is not true, The new management is not trustworthy. Neustar does not deserve your good work. It has a lot of shallow marketing to save face, though that is deep as it goes. Sincerely.

Contractors, even after 3 years, are considered worthless and do not get any incentives, raises, or thanks. When you have a lot of indian people on your staff a party at a stake house for a company is moronic. Indians are Vegetarian- duh. Your talk about career with the company is just insincere marketing words. — I would suggest a clean sweep of your politicians and those who are sweeping people under the run to cover up for their mistakes. I would suggests you take an approach to review design more efficiently, live up to your promises, educate your management on ethics, on create a place where bouncing ideas off the walls are acceptable to sort thoguh the ok and the ones that really work. You have a corporate climb mentatlity now that has shown more defensiveness on who is wright and who is wrong. In actuality it is all the darts we throw that get to the best answer. I remember there was a time I used to love meeting with my coworkers to get some progress done and now it is like a a thankless authority game. It used to be a fun and rewarding place to work that is now just politics. Good luck with your Hitler of today..