Neustar Reviews in Washington, DC

Updated October 14, 2014
Updated October 14, 2014

Neustar President and CEO Lisa A. Hook
Lisa A. Hook

Pros
  • Company has great benefits, it's one of the reasons people stay (in 24 reviews)

• Great benefit including work life balance, 401K and insurance etc (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has no clear or effective strategy to make new company acquisitions work (in 11 reviews)

• The company is a constant reorg mode with little to no strategic thought in the reorg (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

68 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

neustar is a great place to work

Current Employee - Senior QA Engineer in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Senior QA Engineer in Sterling, VA

I have been working at Neustar full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

salary, bonus, stock ... good benefits too

Cons

layoffs last january took out some needed people

too many re-orgs ... it's a good idea to not change who's reporting to who quite so often

Lack of Momentum

I have been working at Neustar full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, Culture, co-workers, middle management, flexibility

Cons

Constant change in leadership and reorgs makes it difficult if not impossible to set and achieve goals. If the benefits and compensation become impacted, look for a mass exodus.

It's like a reality TV show

I have been working at Neustar full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits...if you can keep your job long enough

Cons

I have been in Business and worked all over the world, and Neustar went from being a great place to work to psycho-ward in under 3 years. The whole structure is fractured and their is zero synergy between the groups. I have never seen poltics play out the way they have at this place. The CEO has her crush of the quarter, and this quarter its product management. Watching people jockey for the attention and approval of the CEO is something you would see on Real Housewives. The company has no conscience. You watch ego's instead of business needs drive the re-reorgs. Their are constant coup attempts and the CEO either encourages it or is oblivious to it. No one can really figure it out. One recent coup left an entire organization in disarray and those who didn't lose their jobs were followed out the door by those who didn't want to work for the latest tyrant. Being in charge does not make one a leader and Neustar doesn't seem to understand that. Many members of Senior Management are painfully immature while their immediate reports have better people skills and experience, but if they are in the CEOs limelight they are allowed to continue their ways. Their prized CTO couldn't take it anymore and is leaving. In the past year two groups failed miserably in their responsibilities but the groups who were later assigned to fix the problems were blamed for not seeing it all along. This company is losing contracts and high profile customers because instead of being client focused the fraternity/sorority mentality has everyone focused inward. It's a shame really, it was once a brilliant place to work.

The management does not appreciate advice. If you have a suggestion you are viewed as a threat. It's sorta like Russia under Stalin and Putin. My advice would be to the Board. Don't beleive the info that is being spoon fed to you is accurate. They may have a lot of money in cash reserve, but when your reputation and customer satisfaction is hitting all time lows, you aren't going to be around for much longer. Neustar unfortunately is. It likely to exist in two years, hence the mad rush out the door by consummate professionals,

Great Benefits/Poor Exective Managment

Current Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Sterling, VA

I have been working at Neustar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The CTO has left the building.

Great Benefits (the only reason most people stay)

Cons

Neustar is a case study in the Dunning–Kruger effect. This phenomenon is pervasive in the upper ranks.

Constance re-orgs. I've reported to 6 directors in 4 years.

I feel like no one is running the company. Every department is going in a different direction.

Good ideas from the lower ranks are crushed by the old timers with no ideas.

Stop trying to be like Google. Imitation is not innovation.

Stop with the re-orgs. Give us a stable organizational structure.

Work environment is not friendly

Current Employee - Developer in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Developer in Sterling, VA

I have been working at Neustar as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Manager who leads the Project does not know anything about IT/Sfotware engineering at all. Team lead and manager always fight about something and this office is full of people who are very politicians and talk behind back with collegues. I would not recommend this place to anyone................

Cons

New IT and upper management with an "everything sucks here" attitude. They are always talking in different language and they don't really care who is around them.

office culture overall sucks.

Salesforce system administrator

Former Employee - Salesforce Administrator in Sterling, VA
    Former Employee - Salesforce Administrator in Sterling, VA

I worked at Neustar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fast paced, learning opportunity. Used to be a great org to work for.

Cons

Make you work like a dog.

Get an idea about how sales should run.

Massive lack of leadership and direction

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sterling, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sterling, VA

I worked at Neustar full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good benefits and decent compensation.

Cons

Neustar has an intriguing analytics solution set but cannot get out of its own way. The lack of leadership starts at the top but the mid-level management of the company is the real problem. Favoritism, cliques, lack of involvement, poor messaging, no hands on training, absence of maturity and a toxic environment are the cornerstones of Neustar right now. Many people I have spoken with since my departure have mirrored the same sentiments, which tells me the executive leadership has no idea what is going on below them or they know and turn a blind eye. The reputation of Neustar, at least here in the DC area, is badly tarnished and my be irreparable because they refuse to address the real problem which is the terrible work environment. I had high hopes for a career with Neustar gave every effort both professionally and personally. However, I realized quickly that I had made a bad career decision. Even then, I worked hard to change the mindset and adjust the culture but my manager had no interest in even communicating with me from the start. My last day at Neustar was my best day at the company.

Address the real problems with you leadership at the mid-level and culture. They are dragging you down further than your stock price right now.

A company transforming

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sterling, VA

I have been working at Neustar full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good benefits, and a reasonable work/life balance. CTO working hard to turn the ship into a more modern, agile development driven SaaS company. Lots of different products and technologies to work on.

Cons

Recent force reductions have resulted in a lot of staff churn. Uncertainty around the future of the company due to the number portability contract. Many different product make it difficult sometimes to see the big picture about where the company is going, and what the company's identity is.

Invest in your products, work hard to delight your customers. More cross-pollination between CA and VA teams is needed to help gel the engineering culture. Enough with all the out-sourcing.

Great market opportunity, now deliver

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I have been working at Neustar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Neustar is well positioned to become a leader in several markets. Neustar takes good care of those employees considered essential and benefits are excellent.

Cons

Execution is Neustar's greatest challenge, there is a continued disconnect between the sr. management aspirations and them enabling the company to achieve the objectives, patience is also a virtue

Empower your staff and show greater confidence, your workforce can achieve more if they can take ownership.

Great benefits

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sterling, VA

I have been working at Neustar full-time

Pros

Company has great benefits, it's one of the reasons people stay. Fun group of people to work with.

Cons

The annual review is silly and unnecessary as they already know your increase (or no increase) before you submit it. Pay is ok but increases are small. Good (not great) bonus pay to make up some for small salary increases. Too many reorgs and jobs lost. Teams suffer as they are dumped on with a higher workload and less people to do the work. Lots of frustrated management and good people are quitting.