New Alternatives for Children

2.7

New Alternatives for Children Executive Director Arlene Goldsmith
Arlene Goldsmith
1 Rating

Loved working here, great staff!

I have been working at New Alternatives for Children

Pros

Great part time hours , wonderful staff.

Cons

Tough children . Hard work on a daily basis.

More communication with staff.

NAC-WSP

I worked at New Alternatives for Children as a contractor

Pros

You get to work with some really passionate and talented HCIs & WSPs.The children are great. The work is hard, but also inspiring as you are able to see the progress of the kids and families who you work with. Decent pay for per diem work. Overall, a great experience/entry to disability, foster care, children and nonprofit field.

Cons

High turnover with HCIs, WSPs, and management. It is sometimes a hit or miss with your fellow teammates. It feels at times that you are doing all the work by yourself. A lot of the support depends on which WSP supervisors you are assigned to/transfer to.

Management should take more of an interest to per diem WSPs as we make up majority of the WSPs' workforce. Suggestion: create an atmosphere where per diem WSPs are welcome to the agency.

Ok, please to work but depends on your department and boss

I worked at New Alternatives for Children

Pros

Flexable hours, comfortable environment, a lot of trainings

Cons

A lot of people seemed to have issues with their supervisors...a lot of worker unsatisfied with their salaries

Listen to workers

Great experience, but demanding, intense atmosphere.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at New Alternatives for Children

Pros

Management is not without its issues, but they do promote an atmosphere where you roll up your sleeves and do the work the right way.
    Workers are passionate about helping families in need. You will work along side people who want to do everything they can for the children and families served.
    There is a very high level of respect for the children and families served.
    You will get excellent experience working here. You will see and do more than any other child welfare job in the city, and you'll see how to give at-risk youth everything you can.
    Great experience to "see it all" when it comes to nonprofits in nyc.
    The work is inspiring. You definitely feel like you contribute to helping very at risk and vulnerable families.
    We are always encouraged to go "above and beyond" and it forces you to get creative about how you can do that.
    The agency has an exceptional reputation in the field, with government agencies, etc.

Cons

The agency is very poorly run from a "business" standpoint. What was once a small office with a few social workers is now hundreds of very dedicated and professional staff. Micromanagement is an issue. See: Founders Syndrome.
    The agency is top-heavy with management, with a few top-level members lacking any child welfare experience at all.
    The agency employs very little strategy when setting goals.
    Expectations can be unclear, and employees often have to work very long hours to pick up the slack of others.
    The pay is far below market value, but that is the case for the entire child welfare field.
    There is little opportunity for advancement, and raises are not based on merit.
    The benefits are not great, and they shrink annually.
    Line staff are very rarely recognized for their efforts. Upper management is given awards (yet the staff is never notified), while the people who do the work in the field, who are paid the least but do the most, often get nothing.

Do a better job of recognizing your line staff for the work they do. Just a little encouragement can go a long way and help prevent burn out, which is very common in this field.

Intense, live changing experience

Former Employee - Case Worker in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Case Worker in New York, NY

I worked at New Alternatives for Children

Pros

most workers are passionate about helping families in need. Great opportunity to gain clinical experience working with a diversified group of co workers and clients.

Cons

Poor leadership and communication skills. Workers needs to be offer more training and help them process emotional issues related to case management.
    Realistic expectations for a broken system.

SW should receive more training and support when making decisions that greatly impact life of others. Cases should be review based on the resources available and the help offered by those serving as directors. establish a promotion system based on merit and experience not only on education.

Like two different agencies. B2H and everyone else.

Current Employee - HCI B2h
    Current Employee - HCI B2h

I have been working at New Alternatives for Children full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pros – I work in B2H as a HCI and its been a great first job in many ways I would say and I would tell my friends that too. The program on the HCI side is supportive and some of the WSPs that work with my families are top notch. The office is located in a central area but lunch options can be pricey with my social work salary which is low compared to my friends at other agencies. My supervisor is very caring and nurturing and I have learned a lot from them in my time at NAC. I feel like she really looks out for me and has taken the time to help me grow. Its been a good first social work job.

Cons

Cons – The higher up supervisors are useless and don't support us enough and the staff meetings that we frequently have in B2H are painful. The head of the program go on about her life's work and the times I have walked by her office she is always playing games but she wants us to give all of our best and get all our visits in.

B2H and other programs totally separate and we don't get use of all the services the other programs they have. It's hard to meet people in other parts of the agency including the WSP side. NAC B2H is a good starting out job but not a place to stay long term and the head of our agency should really take more interest in us. I would like to switch to another program but it doesn't seem encouraged and my next job will be for higher pay.

Advice to Senior Management – The head of the agency should take more interest in B2H and how it is structureded. Maybe the head of the B2H program should go on a few home visits to understand what we do daily so that she can structure the program accordingly. My program seems a bit top heavy including on the WSP side. Have more oportunities to meet social workers in other programs.

Its all about the money

Former Employee - Special Educator
    Former Employee - Special Educator

I worked at New Alternatives for Children full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The employees that work directly with the children are dedicated and interact well with each other. The children's progress is the reward.

Cons

Loyalty and hard work are not rewarded financially or with enough verbal praise. Poor leadership skills due to flip-flopping rules and ideas. No consistency with evaluations or feedback. No warning given when there is a deficiency perceived in order to correct or discuss the issue. The School is dictated to by outside influences instead of establishing set policies and supporting their employees when those ideas are questioned.

Develop a consistent evaluation process and enable your employees to improve themselves or at least offer their understanding of what is expected of them. The workplace is very confusing.