New Balance Reviews

Updated October 17, 2014
2.9

New Balance President and CEO Robert T. DeMartini
Robert T. DeMartini

Pros
  • great company - charitable, great to employees, great benefits (in 11 reviews)

• Great company integrity and spirit (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • There is not much room for growth in the company (in 3 reviews)

• A friend told me a new guy from Boston is now running the show in St Louis (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Absolutely love working here

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Skowhegan, ME
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Skowhegan, ME

I have been working at New Balance part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working for New Balance is a lot of fun. I never knew working in retail could be fun. Everything is very structured and organized. This is my first job and I couldn't have asked for a better place to work. Hope to stay here for a long time to come.

Cons

Not being able to know what our shipments will be until we get them. Also not getting new styles in very often. Customers are finding it difficult to find a style they like. And when they do find a style they like, half the time we don't have their size.

Varied styles sent to factory stores so we can better service our customers

It is a dynamic progressive environment that balances business oriented deliverables with ethical core values.

Current Employee - Production Designer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Production Designer in Boston, MA

I have been working at New Balance as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The professional environment is conducive to creating positive company growth.

Cons

Limited work contract length (e.g. 6 months).

Keep up the focus on core values.

Good things ahead

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at New Balance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work life balance does exist and not just for management (as another review suggests). Not all departments are managed the same...several are managed well and are moving in a positive direction. Looks like many good things are ahead for this division and time will tell if this is the case. There are a lot of great people in St. Louis that love working for NB and support the company values and global direction. This is a great time to be here with a lot of things changing for the better, including a new division director that has vast experience and seems objective and ready to lead with strength and serious business acumen. He will need to remain consistent in leadership to get over some of the recent challenges, some of which have been included in other reviews. I'm in no way downplaying the seriousness of what others have mentioned but want to give a broader view of the positive things happening in other areas of the division.

Cons

Pay at StL location has been under market for most positions although there is a division-wide analysis currently underway that will hopefully help. There ha been a lot of management/direction change in a short amount of time which breeds uncertainty and instability. New director in place has an opportunity to stabilize and begin bringing positive change to ease employee uncertainty which directly impacts quality of work, job satisfaction, etc.

Deal decisively with managers who are not treating employees professionally so that more solid team members are lost. Listen to dependable, trustworthy associates who have earned the right to communicate challenges professionally without viewing as complainers, etc. Leaders must trust their teams and GENUINELY value them (not just the execution of deadlines). This is costly though and requires humility and making difficult decisions at times to ensure a positive way forward for the entire team.

depressing

Current Employee - Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at New Balance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

contrary to other reviews, work life balance is AWESOME. Fun people (apart from senior leadership) and awesome environment. Opportunities to learn from some good subject matter experts and excellent exposure to a big ecomm engine/player. Totally fun brand(s) to be associated with.

Cons

No future here in STL. Obvious the operation is moving to boston HQ, if not by 2016 then definitely when the 5 year opt out in the current 10 year lease comes around.

all responsibility from a management and strategic perspective continues to shift to Boston HQ. this office is becoming an office of execution, not thought leadership.

Fight to make this office a center of excellence and leadership. Why let everything bleed off to the HQ in Boston?

Learn how and what the middle managers and lower do in their daily jobs.

Celebrate the success we are having.

Overall Great

I worked at New Balance

Pros

Amazing, positive, and friendly staff overall.

Tons of employyees are athletes themselves (As am I) and they love to include you. Even if it wasnt your thing before entering the company, it might be when comming out. Its hard to not follow that energy and learn to love a new sport or activity with them. So many people lose weight after working here.

The company is growing and it's obvious. Some departments almost feel like you are in a start-up with the amount of experimentation.

If you like the work you are doing, and aren't looking to quickly climb the ladder, this is a great place to stay for a long time. The benefits are great, and so many aspects of the job are very flexible. They know how to keep good employyees.

Cons

That growth means there is a lot of work to do... which was fine with me!

Promotions seem to be out of necessity only. They need someone... this guy has been with the company for awhile... ok lets just use him since we can't find anyone from outside the company... he can learn what to do after the fact. Ive never felt like it was even possible to get promoted or like it was worth learning new things more relavant to a more advanced position. I was challenged everytime I even tried to branch out. This may be an individual experience, but I doubt it. I hope with all the recent and massive growth...along with new, young, energetic employyees... this singular, albeit large, black mark will start to disappear.

Promote from within!

Give employees more trust, and let them explore so that they have the opportunities to learn what they will need in a new position after you promote them! Letting them learn new skills doesn't imply you will lose them. If they feel valued, and feel others are on board to work with them in there own growth outside of the company, they will be more willing to stay with the company.

Helping customers satisfy there needs in footware

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tysons Corner, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tysons Corner, VA

I worked at New Balance part-time (more than an year)

Pros

They gave us good pay and benefits through commission by selling accessories.

Cons

Only having one person work with 100

Extra effort not necesary

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at New Balance part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Laidback environment benefits even for part timers.

Cons

Retail strict with hours. No overtime offered and extra effort is not recognized or rewarded. Key holders run the stores but recieve none of the credit.

Pay your lower management more for their hard work

Grab some patience before taking a job here in retail.

I have been working at New Balance

Pros

Great product.
    Great co-workers.
    Experienced associates are willing to help the new guys out a lot.

Cons

Not the easiest company to move up in.
    Stressful Summers.
    Low work hours during the winter.

Corporate: learn how to treat the sales associates as extensions of yourselves. We work for the company too. We're not your robots to order around.

Store management: we don't like hypocrisy. Stay consistent.

Low point for a workplace that used to be great

I have been working at New Balance full-time

Pros

Extremely flexible hours. Once you are established as someone that can manage your workload properly and get your work done, you can basically come and go as you please. Benefits were very good, salary was decent. Most of your coworkers are good people who are a pleasure to work with. The new office in St. Louis is pretty awesome.

Cons

Sadly this place has become completely ridden with politics and favoritism. A new wave of management has been established over the last 18 months that is essentially rebuilding the St. Louis division (and staff) to meet their vision of how we should operate. Their strategy for this is to completely ignore and discard the majority of long term employees and bring in all new people they know from their previous company in management roles or as contractors.

My direct manager was completely frustrated and handcuffed by the new senior leadership. We were constantly baffled by the direction we are given, but nobody is in a position to persuade leadership differently. The new leadership is stubborn and arrogant, and its their way or the highway regardless of any logic or reasoning against their decision.

Departments don't work together anymore, it has changed into a every team for them self mentality. It is extremely counter productive. I have had managers tell other employees to come to me for help with something, then the same manager will tell me to ignore the person when they approach me for the help. It is absolutely comical and infuriating at the same time. They are all caught up in how they look like they are working with other teams instead of getting actual work done.

Contractors are being brought in and given full control of business decisions and projects, and they don't consult with existing employees at all. The results of their efforts are laughable at best. Almost every single project or initiative that has been lead by these contractors have ranged from a failure to a catastrophe. It was a daily occurrence for employees to look at each other in disbelief at what is going on there. The direction and decisions are so mind boggling, it feels like the decisions that are being made by the new leadership are more about lining the pockets of their friends and less about making the company succeed long term.

There was a mass exodus of the development team, 5 developers resigned in a three week period because of all of the insanity going on. I was told that management was having closed door meetings constantly trying to guess who would be quitting next... I guess they figured talking about everyone leaving would be more effective than actually trying to correct the problems that were making everyone want to leave.

Don't give one new senior leader full control of the St. Louis division. Embrace how the eCommerce division got to where it is today instead of focusing on doing everything completely different just to establish your role as a new leader. Be sure to appreciate employees that stick around through this mess and help rebuild it after the damage has been done and the new leadership moves on to destroy their next company. Take notice when your long term employees are leaving in droves and realize that something has to change.

HELP ME GET OUT OF HERE!!!!

I have been working at New Balance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very little to speak of. Nice new area.

Cons

I've been employed at bigger companies. I've NEVER experienced politics like this place. The politics are so bad with fakes blabbering like fools, it makes me ill each and everyday. Work-life balance, please. The managers continue with the work-life balance theme but they know better. The only employees who live the work-life balance are the promoted employees who were given positions they should not be in. These people are labeled as the brother lovers and kiss ups to HR. These employees are clueless while the rest of us are forced to do their work.

This place is awful for most of us and delightful for the ones who kiss it each and everyday.

Fire all management and start over.

New Balance Photos

View of the New Balance headquarter office located in Boston, MA (Photo by Coolcaesar - available under CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0 & GFDL, v1.109)

+ Add Photo