New Concepts in Marketing

Be The First To
Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Michael Stern

Family owned bussiness that cares about employees? I was assured I would always be part of the Bil-Jac Team

Demonstrator/Product Promoter (Former Employee)
Orlando, FL

I worked at New Concepts in Marketing

Prosdecent pay for this kind of work. I enjoyed making my own schedule each month. I was able to make the
schedule work around my family.

ConsNCIM prides themselves as being a family owned bussiness that cares about their employees.
I dont think so. They preach they are not corporate and really care about their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest and upfront. As an independant contractor, I should not be told who I can or
cannot work for.

They're not very good at keeping track of employee records.

Food Demonstrator (Former Employee)
Stockbridge, GA

I worked at New Concepts in Marketing part-time for less than a year

ProsThe short hours and weekend work makes it easy to show up. Pay is slightly above minimum wage per hour.

ConsI sent in a consent form for a background check three times, and someone within the company lost it all three times. They say that they will pay for whatever you need but they will only pay for the product you're demonstrating. Anything else you need for food safety comes out of your own pocket. Younger employees also have to compete with retirees for job time.

Old ridiculous gossiping women job

Food Demonstrator (Former Employee)
Long Beach, CA

I worked at New Concepts in Marketing part-time for less than a year

Prossimple instructions and responsibilities. simple things to do. easy things to do.

Consa lot of people snitch on others in order to get extra days and try to get the new people out in order to get their days.

Advice to Senior Managementworry more about the gossip and uselessness of it than firing people who actually did their job and not spend time BS-ing

Lowest-ranking employees are not appreciated.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at New Concepts in Marketing

ProsLower management is great and for the most part it is a laid-back working environment, or at least it was before the recent merger.

ConsSenior management does not seem to care about the lower-ranking employees. When the company was bought out, one department was told they would be remaining the same and their jobs would be safe. A month later they were all laid off.

I enjoyed working with the public.

Demonstrator (Former Employee)
Hagerstown, MD

I worked at New Concepts in Marketing

ProsThere were alot of oppurtunities for being in the public and working with people. I really enjoyed the chance to meet new people at every demo, while still getting to know the local employees in the stores.

ConsSix hours was a long time to remain standing continuously. The uniform hat we had to wear was rather uncomfortable, and didn't exactly make us look professional.

Workload and deadlines that are not obtainable and are unrealistic.

I have been working at New Concepts in Marketing

ProsI work in a field that I enjoy, with some really nice people.

ConsNo performance raises in three years and management does not listen to it's employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of the CEO sporting his fancy car and toys, maybe compensate the extremely hard working employees that work for the company.

While New Concepts in Marketing does have a lot of potiential, it definitely could be better

Could BE Better (Current Employee)
Bellevue, WA

I have been working at New Concepts in Marketing

Pros- Personally, I think that the pay rate is pretty good for an entry level job (about $11/hour), with the average demos running at least 6 hours
- The schedulers do contact you when they have jobs for you.
- Can give you something to do on weekends
- The hourly wages are nice too (some sales jobs pay on a commission too)

ConsOf course, there are a bunch of things I don't like about NCIM (from personal experience):
- They don't reimburse you for gas (and some jobs can either close to home or require you to drive a little ways)
- The fact that you are an independent contractor instead of a regular employee. This means you have to pay your own taxes, get your own equipment, etc (though they do send you a company debit card you use to buy products needed for demos).
- You are on an on-call schedule, and it can literally be weeks or months between demos (even though there are many different stores that the company servces, such as QFC and Walmart stores). The last demo I had was back in December. Ideally, the managers should try to schedule their demonstrators for more demos each month if they value loyalty.
- Sometimes you do have high quotas and/or distribution goals you have to meet, and can sometimes be tricky to meet, especially either if you are new to sales and marketing, are working on a day when the store is slow (in my experience, some stores are busier than others, while others are just too slow, and sometimes they can pick poor days to do demos on, such as when the superbowl is going on), as well as if you have a product to promote that nobody seems to want (has happend to me on a few occasions, such as the time when I tried promoting Sun Butter).
- Sometimes, the store managers at the stores you are assigned to can be total jerks as well. I remember at one location I did, I was selling the Cascade Ice drinks, the manager there was hoping I sell every single Cascade Ice drink they had there (and they had at least 200+ drinks to sell) and it was a little slow that day (plus I was only paid for 6 hours, and I would have had to be there all night just to sell all of them). BTW, managers can ask you to leave if they don't like your performance, appearence, etc (happened to me once at a Bellevue store for not generating enough leads and sales, despite my best efforts).

Advice to Senior Management- You should make the demonstrators into regular employees instead of indepenent contractors (after all, we employees do work for you after all)
- Be more consistent in scheduling, especially if you are expecting loyalty from your employees. If you keep them hanging for weeks or months between jobs, don't be surprised if you find them looking for a new job or if their availablity changes (probably a sign that they have a new job). One way you might remedy that is to have a feature on the NCIM website, where schedulers post all of the available jobs in their area and have it so that demonstrators can assign themselves to demos. Under the existing conditions, it is hard to tell when there are going to be demos or not.

- Don't expect too much from demonstrators during events. Obviously, we demonstrators are at the events and you are not, and naturally, some quotats are going to be easier to meet than others. If you schedule a demo at a time when the stores are likely to be slow or if it is something that nobody wants, then meeting sales and distribution goals will be difficut.

A great company with a nationwide reach!

Recruiter (Current Employee)

I have been working at New Concepts in Marketing

ProsIt is a very established company with over 23 years of business. The benefits package for full time employees is very fair and generous and is similar to what you find in a large company. This company also embraces telecommuting.

ConsSenior management sometimes lack understanding of what other departments do for the whole company. Some older employees do not embrace new ways of doing things very quickly.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand what every department does for the whole team and reward fairly. I also suggest that they look at newer technologies to make everyone's job more efficient.

Positive, but some things need to change

Product Demonstrator (Current Employee)

I have been working at New Concepts in Marketing

ProsI really enjoy working with people and cooking the recipes are very fun :D Not having 40% of my check taken for tax deductions is nice :D It's a fun job where I'm my own boss and I don't have to deal with the politics and drama of normal jobs.

ConsStanding on your feet for 6 hours. Really is handing out sample for 6 hours necessary? I live in a very rural area and the store would be dead for those entire 6 hours most of the time. VERY boring!

The pay sucks. 6-12 hours a week getting paid roughly $10/hr. is like being stuck at a minimum wage job working 5 days a week. Add it up, it's the same pay. I can't pay my bills with that.

No gas allowance. It's been climbing to over $4 a gallon and driving to out of town jobs is like working for my gas tank.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave there been any pay raises? I've also been having an issue with me not getting compensated for using certain appliances for my demos, and it has happened on more than 1 occasion.

Worked for New Concepts in Marketing? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at New Concepts in Marketing reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for New Concepts in Marketing CEO Michael Stern. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by New Concepts in Marketing employees.