New England Motor Freight

Updated Jun 27, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mike Shevell

Dot worker load/ unload trailers.

Dot Worker (Former Employee) Miami, FL

ProsWorking with my co-worker as a team.

ConsCompany with little work and taking hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare good relationship.

Customer Service

Customer Service (Former Employee)

ProsGreat co-workers, not hard to get time off (since it's unpaid)

ConsNo full time employees outside of management and drivers. Everyone had to be out of the door in under 30 hours per week so company wouldn't have to cover benefits. Also, whatever you are hired in at is your pay for life. There are no raises for hourly (non driver) employees and no chance to go full time.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people for full time as these are not part time positions. You will never get employees invested in doing a great job when you deny them basic necessities. The owners of company are certainly able to afford to offer employees health insurance and a decent wage. Also you need more qualified people, which you won't get without offering better pay & benefits.

Poorly ran and out of date.

Dock Worker (Former Employee) Richfield, OH

ProsOne of the biggest pro's is also a con. It is very laid back. For me personally it is TOO laid back. I want to do relevant work when I am working. The co-workers were some of the friendliest co-workers I have worked with.

ConsThe equipment is out of date. There are more dock workers then there are forklifts. They have an out of date tracking system. They don't secure and protect the freight (which bothered me from an ethical standpoint) and load things in ways where it is guaranteed to be damaged. This lack of securing freight also applies to their handling of hazmat. The have no straps on the premise and rarely have cling wrap. Training was almost non existent. Pay is below average. I would not recommend this job.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate your equipment and methods! The money that could be saved from damages if you took a little effort to care!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

not good

Driver (Current Employee) Cleveland, OH

Prosbenefits are good, home time is good

Consequipment is old, with no current plans for tractor replacement. currently assigned an 11 yr old tractor, and when it breaks down (frequently) or goes in for service the replacement is a 22 yr old truck. Dock workers do not block and brace freight or use dunnage. freight tracking system is outdated. pay is well below current industry standard. Union has very little power.

Advice to Senior Managementstart reinvesting in the equipment, facilities, freight handling training, and employees.

Look Elsewhere.

Account Executive (Former Employee) Elizabeth, NJ

ProsHonestly Can't Think Of Any. I was with the company for 8 years with no opportunities for advancement.

ConsNo raises, no employer 401k match, money stays with the Family. Overall service and claims are horrible. After 4 years with no raise increase and 401 JFK match company wide I went elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare the wealth. Get a grasp of the service and claims, they are both in the toilet.

Not a bad place to work, but I don't think for long term.

Clerk (Current Employee) Elizabeth, NJ

ProsFriendly coworkers. You get to interact with upper management since they walk around the building all the time. Most of the managers are flexible with employees needing certain days off. Good place to see and learn as operations take place.

ConsThere are no 401k contributions. You have to give something! I haven't received any opportunity for advancement after graduating college. My coworkers tell me no one has received a raise in six years, but the company seems to be doing well.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize the talent you have. I finished a double major and graduated with my bachelors in May, but no one has approached me about doing more in the company. Without providing opportunities for advancement people will look elsewhere as I've been doing.

Great place to work

Mechanic (Former Employee) Columbus, OH

Prosgreat pay great group of people to work with and a management team that really takes care of the "little people" highly recommended

Conslong hours sometimes exposed to adverse working conditions or incelement weather need to be a jack of all trades because you will find yourself working outside of the job title

Advice to Senior Managementdon't be afraid to fire people who don't get the job done safely. it's better to have no one in the position then to have someone hurt because someone wouldn't fire someone else.

Love It!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) North East, MD

ProsReally enjoy working for NEMF. Great people, great attitudes. Love going to work everyday.

ConsCommunication between terminals is lacking. Training is wide scaled with everyone at different levels in various parts of the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on a way to provide better communication between employees of different terminals. Create a thorough training process for new terminals that are beginning to open.

Company is more concerned about the bottom line.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Lehighton, PA

ProsWages aren't too bad but could be higher.

ConsEquipment is old/outdated which includes the data systems in the office and lift equipment on the docks.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate equipment and work on making the job less stressful by getting the small tools that make the job easier.

Ok place to work, Not organized

Diesel Mechanic (Current Employee) Elkton, MD

ProsNo management breathing down your neck, but no appreciation for work done.

ConsVery old equipment. Never any parts in stock.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of paper work orders, get a computer system to save time. Keep a better inventory of parts on hand.

Worked for New England Motor Freight? Contribute to the Community!