New England Motor Freight

New England Motor Freight Reviews

Updated October 25, 2014
Updated October 25, 2014

Mike Shevell

I had an excellent time and good atmosphere

I worked at New England Motor Freight

Pros

The staff was friendly and the hours were flexible. I enjoyed my time there with the company.

Cons

The working conditions were rough at times. The breaks were sporadic, and the facility was no ventilated .

I would recommend higher pay to part time workers.

My experience has been good

Current Employee - Driver in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Driver in New York, NY

I have been working at New England Motor Freight full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Management tends to leave you alone if you are doing your job
    Pension plan
    Good benefits
    Hired with start time, no call ins
    Old equipment being replaced

Cons

Does not match 401K although website says so
    Old equipment
    Management doesn't realize that 48 13'6 trailers can't go every where
    Expect you to break down shipments and hand offload without lift gates.
    New hires don't have great starting hours
    A lot of trucks have broken air conditioners

Fix the equipment. Get smaller trailers with lift gates. Listen to the driver when they know a certain stop

Horrible

Former Employee - Dock Worker in South Plainfield, NJ
    Former Employee - Dock Worker in South Plainfield, NJ

I worked at New England Motor Freight full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I can't think of any.

Cons

Bad pay and terrible working conditions. No way of securing freight and all of the equipment is outdated. And the equipment that isn't outdated is always deadlined for one reason or another.

Sell the company to someone that cares about their employees.

Customer Service

Former Employee - Customer Service
    Former Employee - Customer Service

I worked at New England Motor Freight part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great co-workers, not hard to get time off (since it's unpaid)

Cons

No full time employees outside of management and drivers. Everyone had to be out of the door in under 30 hours per week so company wouldn't have to cover benefits. Also, whatever you are hired in at is your pay for life. There are no raises for hourly (non driver) employees and no chance to go full time.

Hire people for full time as these are not part time positions. You will never get employees invested in doing a great job when you deny them basic necessities. The owners of company are certainly able to afford to offer employees health insurance and a decent wage. Also you need more qualified people, which you won't get without offering better pay & benefits.

Poorly ran and out of date.

Former Employee - Dock Worker in Richfield, OH
    Former Employee - Dock Worker in Richfield, OH

I worked at New England Motor Freight part-time (less than an year)

Pros

One of the biggest pro's is also a con. It is very laid back. For me personally it is TOO laid back. I want to do relevant work when I am working. The co-workers were some of the friendliest co-workers I have worked with.

Cons

The equipment is out of date. There are more dock workers then there are forklifts. They have an out of date tracking system. They don't secure and protect the freight (which bothered me from an ethical standpoint) and load things in ways where it is guaranteed to be damaged. This lack of securing freight also applies to their handling of hazmat. The have no straps on the premise and rarely have cling wrap. Training was almost non existent. Pay is below average. I would not recommend this job.

Update your equipment and methods! The money that could be saved from damages if you took a little effort to care!

not good

Current Employee - Driver in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Driver in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at New England Motor Freight full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

benefits are good, home time is good

Cons

equipment is old, with no current plans for tractor replacement. currently assigned an 11 yr old tractor, and when it breaks down (frequently) or goes in for service the replacement is a 22 yr old truck. Dock workers do not block and brace freight or use dunnage. freight tracking system is outdated. pay is well below current industry standard. Union has very little power.

start reinvesting in the equipment, facilities, freight handling training, and employees.

Look Elsewhere.

Former Employee - Account Executive in Elizabeth, NJ
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Elizabeth, NJ

I worked at New England Motor Freight full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Honestly Can't Think Of Any. I was with the company for 8 years with no opportunities for advancement.

Cons

No raises, no employer 401k match, money stays with the Family. Overall service and claims are horrible. After 4 years with no raise increase and 401 JFK match company wide I went elsewhere.

Share the wealth. Get a grasp of the service and claims, they are both in the toilet.

Not a bad place to work, but I don't think for long term.

Current Employee - Clerk in Elizabeth, NJ
    Current Employee - Clerk in Elizabeth, NJ

I have been working at New England Motor Freight full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly coworkers. You get to interact with upper management since they walk around the building all the time. Most of the managers are flexible with employees needing certain days off. Good place to see and learn as operations take place.

Cons

There are no 401k contributions. You have to give something! I haven't received any opportunity for advancement after graduating college. My coworkers tell me no one has received a raise in six years, but the company seems to be doing well.

Recognize the talent you have. I finished a double major and graduated with my bachelors in May, but no one has approached me about doing more in the company. Without providing opportunities for advancement people will look elsewhere as I've been doing.

Dot worker load/ unload trailers.

Former Employee - Dot Worker in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Dot Worker in Miami, FL

I worked at New England Motor Freight full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working with my co-worker as a team.

Cons

Company with little work and taking hours.

Share good relationship.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Mechanic in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Mechanic in Columbus, OH

I worked at New England Motor Freight full-time (less than an year)

Pros

great pay great group of people to work with and a management team that really takes care of the "little people" highly recommended

Cons

long hours sometimes exposed to adverse working conditions or incelement weather need to be a jack of all trades because you will find yourself working outside of the job title

don't be afraid to fire people who don't get the job done safely. it's better to have no one in the position then to have someone hurt because someone wouldn't fire someone else.