New Hanover Regional Medical Center Reviews

CEO

1. Supply Chain Analyst

Former Employee - Supply Chain Analyst in Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Analyst in Wilmington, NC

I worked at New Hanover Regional Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There were a lot of advancement opportunities, the company would consider advancing within first and then send outside.

Cons

The pay was below average. That is why they wanted to advance within all of the time.

2. Too many chiefs; not enough Indians

Former Employee - Pharmacy Department in Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Department in Wilmington, NC

I worked at New Hanover Regional Medical Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Beautiful surroundings, competitive salaries, technologically savvy, fine reputation.

Cons

Too many managers not on the same page. Too much conflict with co-workers and scheduling. Too many prima donna's. Too many favorites. Too much drama.

Hire some mature people with experience. Do a little extra to keep the long-time employees from jumping ship.

3. Ok

Former Employee - Tech in Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - Tech in Wilmington, NC

I worked at New Hanover Regional Medical Center

Pros

Pay pay pay and more pay

Cons

Pay no raises no advancement

None

5. LOVE the people I work with, very dissatisfied with the company

Current Employee - Staff Nurse in Wilmington, NC
    Current Employee - Staff Nurse in Wilmington, NC

I have been working at New Hanover Regional Medical Center full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The insurance, my coworkers, single patient rooms, free parking for staff.

Cons

I felt as though I was lied to at orientation. They spoke about how much they care about their employees and since I have been there I feel very underappreciated by management and providers, and many of my fellow nurses feel the same way as well. They continue to put on more work and responsibility (I.e. we are now 7:1 even on days which I find horrific especially now that we are entering flu and pneumonia season) yet the raises are minimal and benefits are not really that great. I was told that we were to get a "generous" sum of money to go back to school, which turned out to be on $2,000 a year---which would probably barely cover text books. I also feel like it costs an arm and a leg to request time off.

advocate for us more when non-clinical personnel are trying to make decisions that directly affect us. Also maybe try not to embellish some of the benefits?

6. Miserable facility to work for in any capacity- especially nursing. Steer clear! You have been warned!

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at New Hanover Regional Medical Center part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

None... no, really... absolutely NONE! Even if there were any pros, the cons far outweigh them! You can think I am exaggerating or being dramatic, but try working here and it won't take you long to see how accurate this review is.

Cons

Chronically understaffed because they can't keep their staff as they mistreat and under appreciate them constantly. Management is a joke, playing games to show their power... unless you're in their clique and hang out with them outside of work. Unprofessionalism everywhere. They hide when doctors do wrong to prevent malpractice and wrongful death suits. They manipulate the data to make themselves look good to meet government standards. Nurses are faced with enormous responsibility to advocate for their patients, fighting some doctors to do what is right for their patients (especially when patient is declining), while being underpaid, underappreciated, and assigned large assignments. Miserable place to work. Oh... and if they decide they don't like you, your manager will block you from transferring, your peers with spread rumors, they will cut your hours, and mess up your schedule so you're working almost every weekend. Not family oriented at all!

Treat your staff fairly, pay them better, staff your units better, be professional, and avoid cliques and favoritism.

7. High standards of care

Former Employee - Distribution Clerk in Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - Distribution Clerk in Wilmington, NC

I worked at New Hanover Regional Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Leader in patient care. Diligent in providing a broad range of services. Solid employer for the region. Company avoids layoffs.

Cons

Some areas have very high time commitments and certain departments may tend to create burnout. Most areas have competent leaders.

8. Very impressive hospital

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Wilmington, NC
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Wilmington, NC

I have been working at New Hanover Regional Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome hospital with great patient care. Great ceo

Cons

The only negative I experienced was always the underhanded practices of the pharmacy management.

Stop making your employees so miserable and try being more positive. A little encouragement goes a long way.

9. Too many chiefs not enough Indians!

Former Employee - Staff Nurse in Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - Staff Nurse in Wilmington, NC

I worked at New Hanover Regional Medical Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Team mates work together to provide patient care needs to the best of their ability. Benefits are above average. CEUs are provided in house. If you love working under pressure, this is a great place for you. You will find enormous growth in your multi tasking skills. You will find it easy to grow, because we learn from our mistakes and leadership hone in on any you make. Every department has a director, manager (or two), a coordinator (or two), so even tough you only have a few seasoned nurses on the floor either you, occasionally you can look forward to one the aforementioned chatting it up with your patients to reveal how behind you were delivering appropriate and safe care. It's so refreshing when your pulled from your duties to discuss those revelations so you can get further behind!

Cons

If they would require ALL nurses with a leadership hat to wear a uniform, put their tablets down, their phones off, stop meeting and talking about how to get the herd to be more productive and get their fannies to the bedside to provide the care a nurse is trained to do then maybe life would be better for patients and staff. Never worked anywhere in the country that had so managers, assistants, coordinators and charge nurses. It's nuts. Fire them all and hire nurses to tend to patients. No one would miss any of them.

Since you like to measure, why don't measure the salaries of non clinical folks that can be eliminated? Do an A4 on that! Worried about profits? Start cutting the folks at the top. Nothing is noticed in productivity when they are gone, in meetings or enjoying their PTO. Golly some departments have two managers! You reward lousy management by resting a second high dollar position and still get Krappy results because your too blind to see that you need the help with staff that touch patients with their hands.

10. Wonderful hospital, with great benefits and just culture.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Wilmington, NC
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Wilmington, NC

Pros

Great benefits, wonderful hospital fitness center, friendly staff and excellent management. Wilmington is a wonderful place to live (At the beach) and they offer flexible scheduling (self-scheduling), which is great for staff morale. Wonderful doctors and it is a teaching hospital.

Cons

They seem to always be short staffed. There are no other hospitals in town, so no competition=Pay lower than many of NC hospitals.

Greater compensation needed or additional staff.

11. Great leadership. Good work-life balance. Somewhat hectic.

I worked at New Hanover Regional Medical Center full-time

Pros

Extremely knowledgable and hard-working staff. I had a great experience with management. Team-oriented environment.

Cons

Disorganized at times and somewhat outdated.