New Hanover Regional Medical Center

Be The First To
Add Photos

Very impressive hospital

Certified Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) Wilmington, NC

ProsAwesome hospital with great patient care. Great ceo

ConsThe only negative I experienced was always the underhanded practices of the pharmacy management.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop making your employees so miserable and try being more positive. A little encouragement goes a long way.

Wonderful hospital, with great benefits and just culture.

Registered Nurse (Current Employee) Wilmington, NC

ProsGreat benefits, wonderful hospital fitness center, friendly staff and excellent management. Wilmington is a wonderful place to live (At the beach) and they offer flexible scheduling (self-scheduling), which is great for staff morale. Wonderful doctors and it is a teaching hospital.

ConsThey seem to always be short staffed. There are no other hospitals in town, so no competition=Pay lower than many of NC hospitals.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreater compensation needed or additional staff.

Great leadership. Good work-life balance. Somewhat hectic.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExtremely knowledgable and hard-working staff. I had a great experience with management. Team-oriented environment.

ConsDisorganized at times and somewhat outdated.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great team experience, but needs improvement

IS Tech (Former Employee) Wilmington, NC

ProsGood teamwork in my department, but some groups are overworked

ConsSome nepotism still exists in in hiring practices. Performance of under-qualified people is not monitored. Places heavier burden on others.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't hire your friend or their spouses just because they are your friends or their spouse.

In hindsite, I would never have moved to Wilmington, NC

Staff Nurse (Former Employee) Wilmington, NC

ProsThe people I worked with were professional, caring, educated and hard working. We worked closely as a team and always covered each other. This is not so true of other floors.

ConsThere is only one hospital to work for here in this town and they own most of the outlying facilities also, so they corner the market and are able to dictate salaries. Most of the NURSES live under the poverty level and are only able to make due by having a second job.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour staff is your bread and butter. Think about this before you give yourselves a bonus, who can't put dinner on their table tonight?

Worked 3 years here, this was my second job, almost left nursing

BSN (Former Employee) Wilmington, NC

ProsHad amazing insurance for a single person. It was like $4 a pay peroid for full coverage. Needed a heart test done? $25 for a co-pay and that was it. Pills? $8 for a months supply. Then when I got married it jumped to $120 a pay period. I'd consider this a lot of money because it was 10% of my take home pay for 40 hours of work as an RN!

ConsOver worked, underpaid. I have a 4 year degree, worked there for 3 years and wasn't making $21.50 an hour. I worked 325 hours of OT my first year, 400 of overtime my second and only brought home $41K. Patient ratios are unsafe, 6-to-1 for nurses and 16-to-1 for CNAs. I did hear that once I left, sometimes the ratio would be 7-to-1 and the nursing supervisor would tell staff "just deal with it." Just deal with being charge, having 6 patients and offsites, and only making $21 an hour? Never again. I would work 5 days in a row, have one day off, then work then next 4 on. On my days off, I would get text from my assistant manager telling me to "Quit ignoring me and come in" even though she never took patients. She had no problem leaving at 3pm every Friday, but then they shoved it down our throats that Teamwork was a top priority and one of the 5 pillars of excellence. This was an insane place to work. I'd have my boss walk around talking about how money isn't important while I can't make ends meet as a nurse! Advice is to NOT WORK AT NHRMC. Oh, and because I left before my 5 years was up, I lost HALF of my vacation time I had earned while working there! My new hospital HR told me that NHRMC policy of taking your vacation time if you leave early was piracy. I almost quit nursing because NHRMC had such a stranglehold in the area. I moved to the NorthWest of the country and my pay doubled and I only take 3-to-1! Good riddance, NHRMC.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay nurses what they are worth. Start them at $24 like the rest of the nation. I had a co-worker who has been a nurse for 8 years and he's only making $23/hr. How is anyone supposed to get ahead? I left directly because my managers over worked me, your hospital under paid me, and put patients at risk to keep my salary low. How disgusting.

A great place to work

ProsAdministration is typically very supportive

ConsI don't have any cons at this time.

Experience at New Hanover Regional Medical Center

Staff Nurse (Current Employee) Wilmington, NC

Prosclose to the ocean. great weather.

ConsSalary does not compensate for work done. Patient to nurse ratios are to high. Quality of Care can be compromised.

An excellent place to learn a lot as a chaplain resident

Chaplain (Former Employee) Wilmington, NC

ProsThis employer is good to employees

ConsIt is difficult to get hired

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease don't discriminate when people are applying for jobs that they are overqualified for. I was asked why I wanted to work for $10 an hour when I could be making $20. I needed a job so I wouldn't need to relocate, but was not even qualified for an interview, although I met all the experience and qualifications for all the jobs for which I applied. I really appreciated being part of NHRMC for a year and miss living in Wilmington.

a company that does not care about the employee

Staff Nurse (Former Employee) Wilmington, NC

Prosonly hospital in an one hour radius. They do employee the majority of people who live in the area.

Consonly hospital in an one hour radius. they know there is no other employee around and pay very minimal rates.

Advice to Senior Managementtake care of your employees

Worked for New Hanover Regional Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!