New Hanover Regional Medical Center

High standards of care

Former Employee - Distribution Clerk  in  Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - Distribution Clerk in Wilmington, NC

I worked at New Hanover Regional Medical Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Leader in patient care. Diligent in providing a broad range of services. Solid employer for the region. Company avoids layoffs.

Cons

Some areas have very high time commitments and certain departments may tend to create burnout. Most areas have competent leaders.

Very impressive hospital

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician  in  Wilmington, NC
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Wilmington, NC

I have been working at New Hanover Regional Medical Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Awesome hospital with great patient care. Great ceo

Cons

The only negative I experienced was always the underhanded practices of the pharmacy management.

Stop making your employees so miserable and try being more positive. A little encouragement goes a long way.

Too many chiefs not enough Indians!

Former Employee - Staff Nurse  in  Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - Staff Nurse in Wilmington, NC

I worked at New Hanover Regional Medical Center full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Team mates work together to provide patient care needs to the best of their ability. Benefits are above average. CEUs are provided in house. If you love working under pressure, this is a great place for you. You will find enormous growth in your multi tasking skills. You will find it easy to grow, because we learn from our mistakes and leadership hone in on any you make. Every department has a director, manager (or two), a coordinator (or two), so even tough you only have a few seasoned nurses on the floor either you, occasionally you can look forward to one the aforementioned chatting it up with your patients to reveal how behind you were delivering appropriate and safe care. It's so refreshing when your pulled from your duties to discuss those revelations so you can get further behind!

Cons

If they would require ALL nurses with a leadership hat to wear a uniform, put their tablets down, their phones off, stop meeting and talking about how to get the herd to be more productive and get their fannies to the bedside to provide the care a nurse is trained to do then maybe life would be better for patients and staff. Never worked anywhere in the country that had so managers, assistants, coordinators and charge nurses. It's nuts. Fire them all and hire nurses to tend to patients. No one would miss any of them.

Since you like to measure, why don't measure the salaries of non clinical folks that can be eliminated? Do an A4 on that! Worried about profits? Start cutting the folks at the top. Nothing is noticed in productivity when they are gone, in meetings or enjoying their PTO. Golly some departments have two managers! You reward lousy management by resting a second high dollar position and still get Krappy results because your too blind to see that you need the help with staff that touch patients with their hands.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wonderful hospital, with great benefits and just culture.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Wilmington, NC
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Wilmington, NC

I have been working at New Hanover Regional Medical Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, wonderful hospital fitness center, friendly staff and excellent management. Wilmington is a wonderful place to live (At the beach) and they offer flexible scheduling (self-scheduling), which is great for staff morale. Wonderful doctors and it is a teaching hospital.

Cons

They seem to always be short staffed. There are no other hospitals in town, so no competition=Pay lower than many of NC hospitals.

Greater compensation needed or additional staff.

Great leadership. Good work-life balance. Somewhat hectic.

I worked at New Hanover Regional Medical Center full-time

Pros

Extremely knowledgable and hard-working staff. I had a great experience with management. Team-oriented environment.

Cons

Disorganized at times and somewhat outdated.

Great team experience, but needs improvement

Former Employee - IS Tech  in  Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - IS Tech in Wilmington, NC

I worked at New Hanover Regional Medical Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good teamwork in my department, but some groups are overworked

Cons

Some nepotism still exists in in hiring practices. Performance of under-qualified people is not monitored. Places heavier burden on others.

Don't hire your friend or their spouses just because they are your friends or their spouse.

In hindsite, I would never have moved to Wilmington, NC

Former Employee - Staff Nurse  in  Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - Staff Nurse in Wilmington, NC

I worked at New Hanover Regional Medical Center full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people I worked with were professional, caring, educated and hard working. We worked closely as a team and always covered each other. This is not so true of other floors.

Cons

There is only one hospital to work for here in this town and they own most of the outlying facilities also, so they corner the market and are able to dictate salaries. Most of the NURSES live under the poverty level and are only able to make due by having a second job.

Your staff is your bread and butter. Think about this before you give yourselves a bonus, who can't put dinner on their table tonight?

Worked 3 years here, this was my second job, almost left nursing

Former Employee - BSN  in  Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - BSN in Wilmington, NC

I worked at New Hanover Regional Medical Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Had amazing insurance for a single person. It was like $4 a pay peroid for full coverage. Needed a heart test done? $25 for a co-pay and that was it. Pills? $8 for a months supply. Then when I got married it jumped to $120 a pay period. I'd consider this a lot of money because it was 10% of my take home pay for 40 hours of work as an RN!

Cons

Over worked, underpaid. I have a 4 year degree, worked there for 3 years and wasn't making $21.50 an hour. I worked 325 hours of OT my first year, 400 of overtime my second and only brought home $41K. Patient ratios are unsafe, 6-to-1 for nurses and 16-to-1 for CNAs. I did hear that once I left, sometimes the ratio would be 7-to-1 and the nursing supervisor would tell staff "just deal with it." Just deal with being charge, having 6 patients and offsites, and only making $21 an hour? Never again. I would work 5 days in a row, have one day off, then work then next 4 on. On my days off, I would get text from my assistant manager telling me to "Quit ignoring me and come in" even though she never took patients. She had no problem leaving at 3pm every Friday, but then they shoved it down our throats that Teamwork was a top priority and one of the 5 pillars of excellence. This was an insane place to work. I'd have my boss walk around talking about how money isn't important while I can't make ends meet as a nurse! Advice is to NOT WORK AT NHRMC. Oh, and because I left before my 5 years was up, I lost HALF of my vacation time I had earned while working there! My new hospital HR told me that NHRMC policy of taking your vacation time if you leave early was piracy. I almost quit nursing because NHRMC had such a stranglehold in the area. I moved to the NorthWest of the country and my pay doubled and I only take 3-to-1! Good riddance, NHRMC.

Pay nurses what they are worth. Start them at $24 like the rest of the nation. I had a co-worker who has been a nurse for 8 years and he's only making $23/hr. How is anyone supposed to get ahead? I left directly because my managers over worked me, your hospital under paid me, and put patients at risk to keep my salary low. How disgusting.

A great place to work

I have been working at New Hanover Regional Medical Center as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

Administration is typically very supportive

Cons

I don't have any cons at this time.

Experience at New Hanover Regional Medical Center

Current Employee - Staff Nurse  in  Wilmington, NC
    Current Employee - Staff Nurse in Wilmington, NC

Pros

close to the ocean. great weather.

Cons

Salary does not compensate for work done. Patient to nurse ratios are to high. Quality of Care can be compromised.

Worked for New Hanover Regional Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!