New Hanover Regional Medical Center

New Hanover Regional Medical Center Reviews

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jennifer P Askew

Great mission, great place to work.

CNA (Former Employee)
    Wilmington, NC

ProsGreat mission. Really making a difference in the lives of people. Staff is committed to the overall mission.

ConsDifficult to deal with the sadness that sometimes comes with the job.

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Overworked, under appreciated, under paid

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)
    Wilmington, NC

ProsFree parking. Employee pharmacy. Employee health clinic. Very good co-workers. Majority of hospital workers are pleasant. Clean, environment. Wonderful patient population. Currently has pension plan.

ConsRequired to work overtime but sent home when census a little low.( treated like day laborers not like the professionals we are). Frequently work understaffed. Poor response to unit needs by upper management. Horrible computer charting program limits the nurses ability to accurately document patient events.
    Required to complete mandatory continuing education on days off. No regard for personal time.
    Benefits constantly decreasing for staff while upper management receives better benefits and large bonuses. My take home pay is the same as it was 10 years ago due to increased cost of benefits. This is in spite of raises and 1-2% merit raises.
    HR out of touch with what is happening in actual health care setting. Senior exit interviewer stated she had never been on my unit. Stated no awareness of above issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementMoney would be saved and productivity increased if staff were not constantly being put in positions that endanger our patients and our licenses. Stop the ridiculous yearly employee satisfaction survey. It is always worded in a way that prevents the staff from expressing their true feelings. If you are not going to make it accurate, just forget it. We are not dummies. We are professionals . In over 30 years, I have seen NHRMC slide from a busy but pleasant place to work, to a miserable energy draining place to earn a paycheck. Attend a few codes , see the pros at work and stop trying to make us give more. We have nothing left to give. I still have 10 years to work but it will not be for NHRMC.

NHRMC

(Former Employee)
    Wilmington, NC

ProsNHRMC has good benefits and a pension plan. It used to have a wonderful atmosphere that made you want to come to work.

ConsThe atmosphere has changed so much here, that I've witnessed people quitting because of it, What would otherwise be a wonderful place to work is being undermined by some of the mid lvl management in place.

Advice to Senior ManagementI will say that the CEO seems to be a fair man. Someone needs to alert him to the some of the tactics being used by some of his mid lvl management. You are losing great employees and soon will only be left with the people no one else will have.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Harsh honesty, what the network doesn't want to hear or you to know.

Wilmington, NC

ProsDecent benefits comparable to other facilities or organizations in the area. Decent camaraderie among junior staff members.

ConsOnly hospital system in the county, largest employer for medical personnel. The Network has a monopoly on the health care field, which makes it almost the only place to work. HR lords over the company an acts on its' own rules an on its' own time. Junior staff is not appreciated, general feeling is that staff is a dime a dozen and can easily be replaced. As they are a monopoly, they are not concerned with employee satisfaction. There are no alternatives for employment, you either pretend to enjoy working for them or quickly find employment in a different field. The facilities themselves, are poor and in need of repair. Equipment is greatly outdated and unreliable, broken more often than working. When new construction or repairs are made to the facilities, they are not quality. Within days of new construction, brand new floors buckle and peel, paint staining and peeling off walls. While housekeeping attempts at upkeep, not enough staff means poor cleaning and not often enough. Layout of newly remodeled areas or newly built areas exhibit poor planning as necessary things are forgotten and patient flow is jumbled. The focus of senior management is patient satisfaction, while important, because of the over-focus of the network it gets in the way of staff providing basic care and functions. When senior management automatically tries to "recover" a bad customer experience or when someone complains, and management hastily gives gift cards or something similar to the individual without investigating the situation, creates a hostile work environment. As patients and their family members have come to learn if they complain they get rewarded and the staff reprimanded, even if the staff member was correct in their actions. Not only does it create a hostile work environment but not having the support of senior management damages employee morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementRestructure middle management, there seems to be a strong disconnect between senior management and junior staff. Restructure HR and make them more accountable to employees and to the network. Improve staff salaries, compared to cost of living for the area, salaries are not enough for people to make ends meet without finding secondary employment. Support staff and show it, the customer is not always right. Invest more in housekeeping, patients don't like coming to a dirty hospital and staff don't like working in one either. When remodeling or before new construction get more junior staff involvement in the planning and designing, they are the ones that have to work in these areas and have the best insight on how things will work. Nationally based surveys are okay for seeing how the facility measures up to other facilities, but this does not adequately represent employee performance or patient satisfaction. A tailor made survey based on methods, procedures, and facilities used by the network, and sent to fair number of patients (not 5 a week) would be a better representation of employee performance and patient satisfaction. Facility security can be improved, one officer for an entire campus jeopardizes the facility, the patients, staff safety, and the officers themselves. Doors that are supposed to lock, should. worry less about creating headlines and more with the outcomes of programs started or created.

Worked for New Hanover Regional Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at New Hanover Regional Medical Center reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for New Hanover Regional Medical Center CEO Jennifer P Askew. All reviews posted anonymously by New Hanover Regional Medical Center employees.