New Haven Public Schools

Not yet rated.

Garth Harries

It has been a good run.

Substitute Teacher/Dean of Students (Current Employee) New Haven, CT

ProsOne of the best things about working for the Board of Ed in New Haven are the people I work with and the students I coach.

ConsSometimes it takes a long time to get things done but not often.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your people in the schools

Work environment

Clerk Typist (Current Employee) New Haven, CT

ProsPretty good benefit package, laid back environment and some supervisors are easy-going. Is a good place for someone at entry level. The work week is 35 hours with an hour lunch break and 2 - 15 minute breaks. Free parking, fitness room and snack machines available to employees.

ConsHeavy workload without comparable compensation. Not a good place to work if one is looking for advancement. Advancement is very difficult and little to no reward for hard workers. Too many employees in an office/work area. Favoritism is given to some clerks/secretaries. Work load is the same as an administrative assistant.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport staff (secretaries/clerks) should be paid based on their experience and knowledge as well as appreciated more

Worked for New Haven for 10 years

Teacher (Former Employee) New Haven, CT

ProsFor many of my years in New Haven, I felt I was truly helping children in a way that best suited both students and myself. I met many interesting teachers who became friends.

ConsToo much emphasis on data, not child centered. Management expects children to function as a computer would with the teacher as programmer. They don't take into account that students are people and have a variety of needs. They talk the talk, but cannot walk the walk. Creativity and any variance from exactly what every other teacher is doing is unacceptable. When my position was eliminated, I received a letter from HR on Aug. 6, addressed to Mr. (my last name), but I am Mrs. It was not an oversight, but an assumption based on name. In some schools in New Haven, there is racism from administration against "non-minority" teachers.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat teachers as the professionals they are.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to learn about working for a municipality or large public school district

Director, Information Technology Department (Former Employee) New Haven, CT

Pros- Challenging work environment
    - CEO, at the time, cared about the students
    - Hard work is eventually recognized at all staff levels
    - Will at least allow flexible schedules to pursue advanced degree, although they do not reimburse.

Cons- Compensation is low, compared to other school districts, for non-instructional employees
    - Management, for the most part, does not listen to employee feedback
    - There is simply no policy for staff development for non-instructional/operations staff

Advice to Senior ManagementReview non-instructional employee/manager compensation against similar organizations and ensure it is in-line. In addition, provide career pathing/progression for non-instruction/operations staff. Remember, your staff is your greatest resource!

No retirement benefits for hundreds of employees.

Architect/Project Manager (School Construction) (Former Employee) New Haven, CT

ProsA well-educated, diverse workforce, and committed, dedicated colleagues.

ConsHundreds of full-time unionized employees have no retirement benefits (no pension and no match). State and federal grants pay to fund benefits that are not provided to the workers. Surplus grant funds are then used to fatten the City General Fund, keeping the mill rate artificially low (48% lower than Hartford). Decisions about who is covered by the pension plan are sometimes arbitrary. Some employees are misclassified as Special Fund employees and are denied retirement benefits, even though their positions are funded in the General Fund budget. The City reimburses itself for General Fund payroll through municipal bonds, and then treats the affected employees as if they were funded by grants. The unions collude with the City on these decisions, to the detriment of the workers. There are no career paths, no promotions, and no training or professional development. There are no employee performance reviews, and performance is not rewarded. If you speak out to correct injustice, you risk layoff.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide good jobs with good benefits and opportunities for advancement. Provide the benefits that the grants pay you to provide. Perform an ethical self-assessment.

NHPS

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New Haven, CT

ProsNice place to work. Everyone is friendly and helpful.

ConsHaving to pay for parking

Advice to Senior ManagementI think the management is doing a great job, considering all of the school improvements; new schools, higher student test scores, etc.

Worked for New Haven Public Schools? Contribute to the Community!