New Haven Public Schools

Highly Effective Learning Environment

Former Employee - Teacher  in  New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Teacher in New Haven, CT

I worked at New Haven Public Schools as a contractor for more than 10 years

Pros

90% of students demonstrated improved reading ability from below grade level to at or above grade level over a single academic year.

Cons

Resources not always available to meet comprehensive needs of school population, which was predominantly from a very low, socio-economic level and representative of the Achievement Gap in America..

Develop your highly educated workforce and do not approach professionals with punitive approaches to job review. Look to models where Coaches and teachers work together and set goals in order to more effectively meet challenges. Teachers have been shown to be less defensive of their methods when a team approach was used and their input was considered.

Work environment

Current Employee - Clerk Typist  in  New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Clerk Typist in New Haven, CT

I have been working at New Haven Public Schools full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Pretty good benefit package, laid back environment and some supervisors are easy-going. Is a good place for someone at entry level. The work week is 35 hours with an hour lunch break and 2 - 15 minute breaks. Free parking, fitness room and snack machines available to employees.

Cons

Heavy workload without comparable compensation. Not a good place to work if one is looking for advancement. Advancement is very difficult and little to no reward for hard workers. Too many employees in an office/work area. Favoritism is given to some clerks/secretaries. Work load is the same as an administrative assistant.

Support staff (secretaries/clerks) should be paid based on their experience and knowledge as well as appreciated more

Worked for New Haven for 10 years

Former Employee - Teacher  in  New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Teacher in New Haven, CT

I worked at New Haven Public Schools full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

For many of my years in New Haven, I felt I was truly helping children in a way that best suited both students and myself. I met many interesting teachers who became friends.

Cons

Too much emphasis on data, not child centered. Management expects children to function as a computer would with the teacher as programmer. They don't take into account that students are people and have a variety of needs. They talk the talk, but cannot walk the walk. Creativity and any variance from exactly what every other teacher is doing is unacceptable. When my position was eliminated, I received a letter from HR on Aug. 6, addressed to Mr. (my last name), but I am Mrs. It was not an oversight, but an assumption based on name. In some schools in New Haven, there is racism from administration against "non-minority" teachers.

Treat teachers as the professionals they are.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It has been a good run.

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher/Dean of Students  in  New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher/Dean of Students in New Haven, CT

I have been working at New Haven Public Schools part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

One of the best things about working for the Board of Ed in New Haven are the people I work with and the students I coach.

Cons

Sometimes it takes a long time to get things done but not often.

Listen to your people in the schools

No retirement benefits for hundreds of employees.

Former Employee - Architect/Project Manager (School Construction)  in  New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Architect/Project Manager (School Construction) in New Haven, CT

I worked at New Haven Public Schools full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

A well-educated, diverse workforce, and committed, dedicated colleagues.

Cons

Hundreds of full-time unionized employees have no retirement benefits (no pension and no match). State and federal grants pay to fund benefits that are not provided to the workers. Surplus grant funds are then used to fatten the City General Fund, keeping the mill rate artificially low (48% lower than Hartford). Decisions about who is covered by the pension plan are sometimes arbitrary. Some employees are misclassified as Special Fund employees and are denied retirement benefits, even though their positions are funded in the General Fund budget. The City reimburses itself for General Fund payroll through municipal bonds, and then treats the affected employees as if they were funded by grants. The unions collude with the City on these decisions, to the detriment of the workers. There are no career paths, no promotions, and no training or professional development. There are no employee performance reviews, and performance is not rewarded. If you speak out to correct injustice, you risk layoff.

Provide good jobs with good benefits and opportunities for advancement. Provide the benefits that the grants pay you to provide. Perform an ethical self-assessment.

Great place to learn about working for a municipality or large public school district

Former Employee - Director, Information Technology Department  in  New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Director, Information Technology Department in New Haven, CT

I worked at New Haven Public Schools for more than 8 years

Pros

- Challenging work environment
    - CEO, at the time, cared about the students
    - Hard work is eventually recognized at all staff levels
    - Will at least allow flexible schedules to pursue advanced degree, although they do not reimburse.

Cons

- Compensation is low, compared to other school districts, for non-instructional employees
    - Management, for the most part, does not listen to employee feedback
    - There is simply no policy for staff development for non-instructional/operations staff

Review non-instructional employee/manager compensation against similar organizations and ensure it is in-line. In addition, provide career pathing/progression for non-instruction/operations staff. Remember, your staff is your greatest resource!

NHPS

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Haven, CT

I worked at New Haven Public Schools

Pros

Nice place to work. Everyone is friendly and helpful.

Cons

Having to pay for parking

I think the management is doing a great job, considering all of the school improvements; new schools, higher student test scores, etc.

Worked for New Haven Public Schools? Contribute to the Community!