New Horizons Computer Learning Centers Great Lakes

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mark McManus, Jr.

Great Sales Role For The Right Individual

Account Executive (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsNew Horizons provides a lot of tools and resources to their sales reps. They offer unlimited training to employees and their immediate families. There is uncapped commission plan with quarterly bonus for surpassing your sales number. This is a sales role so it should be noted that you will be expected to perform. I've seen a lot of negative comments about poor management. However, I think that is more a reflection of the poor performance of previous sales reps.

ConsLack of communication. Also, the operations and deliveries could be better. There are some technical issues that could be avoided with proper communication and planning.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay consistent with your management style.

inexperienced management and poor resources

Chicago, IL

ProsIf you get hired to sell to consumers it's great. DO IT! Veterans and the unemployed come in with their grant money and spend it all on training that "should" help their career. Although the company used to lie about their placement rates, professional training can't hurt anybody. If you get a veteran in there with a full GI Bill, then you can make $1000+ commission on them. I've seen reps take almost 20 GI Bill students in just one month!

ConsIf you're interviewing for the B2B sales, do not take the interview unless you just want practice. The management believes that if you make 60+ cold calls per day and offer a free audit of a tech or applications class, then that will win business. To be honest, it's one of the dumbest market entry strategies I've heard of but I went along with it. After 6 month of following this failed strategy I was let go for reasons unrelated to my quota. Thank god I'm not working there anymore. No longer will I receive emails from management whining about low sales numbers, inconsistent direction from supervisors, or poor/incomplete communication from them. What a disaster and waste of time. First they want to set appointments, then they want to SPIN sell, then it's consultative, then audit give-aways. They obviously don't know how to sell their own product effectively otherwise they wouldn't change the approach so often.

If you're a 6 figure income sales professional, it's highly unlikely that you will make that sort of money here. Even at quota you can only make $66,000 per year, but only 1 person on the sales team of 10 was actually meeting quota when I left (she has been there for a long time). The sale cycles are long for a sale that might put a few hundred dollars in your pocket.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo the CEO:

How is it that there is so much turnover with the sales department? Are you hiring bad people consistently or can the process use improvement? Whenever I've tried to discuss an issue with management about taking a different approach, I've been dismissed or insulted. Cold calling and direct sales is ONE WAY to get business in the door. There are other methods to sales that work, but because your narrow minded team is threatened by new ideas, your sales in the Chicago market will remain low on the B2B team.

NHGL's Review

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEmployees are friendly and hard-working. General Managers truly care about the business. Training is available, if needed.

ConsThe owner treats the business like his personal sandbox. Everything he does is trial and error. One costly mistake after another. He loves to start a huge new sales initiative and then pull the plug three weeks later.

The turnover in sales is very high. You must produce very quickly. Don't expect any severance when you leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in a seasoned consulting company to help show the executive team how to properly plan for the future. The company likes to shoot from the hip.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

great for training bad work environment

Livonia, MI

Prosthe employees are very easy to get along with

Consmanagement isn't professional and non helpful. I was told it would be both an outside and inside sales position and later found that not to be true. management creates a very hostile work environment in which employees didn't like coming to work. I got the impression that the business will not be there long and might be closing

Advice to Senior Managementtreat your employees better. talking to them like children is very discouraging

I actually like my job

Career Consultant (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsThe management team seems to generally care about the employees of the center. The base is low, but the total compensation plan can be pretty lucrative. I have worked in many different sales environments both in management as well as a sales representative and have never been in an environment as easy going as this. The schedule is easy 7:45-4:45 and unlike many other sales environments I have been in, the management team won’t make you feel bad for leaving before 5. They actually set the time up like this so the train commute is easier on everyone. This brings me to my next point. The number one pro of working for New Horizons is they actually treat you like an adult. They do not micro manage you, they do not belittle you, they let you work. The flip side of this is you do have to be able to work well independently and have to be self-motivated. The Chicago office is actually a fun place to work. I can legitimately say that every person that works on the sales team are my friends and I think everyone that works here feels the same. (By friends I mean work friends, not go out and get drunk after work friends) If you are looking for a party atmosphere this definitely is not it, but the people that work here are all great people. It may take a few weeks to get in with everyone, but once you do it is a really enjoyable place to work. (Both the Management team and Individually)

Now on to the more important issue of will I make money? The answer is definitively yes. The sales process is pretty standard and easy. Even if you do not make your sales quota you are still paid the same commission rate, you are not negatively impacted for having down months. This does sometime cause the issue of accepting mediocrity. However, if you are motivated you can really make as much as you want if you choose to keep selling.

Despite the recent posts I have only seen one person let go since I started with the company nearly 7 months ago. At the end of the day it’s a sales environment, if you miss your goals there will eventually be consequences, but as I said I have only seen one person let go since I have been here.

Ultimately you will make your own decision whether or not this is the right fit for you. I have been successful since coming aboard and I honestly can say I would recommend this job to even my closest of friends.

ConsNot a lot of Growth Potential. I also wish there was more bonus potential. (Who doesn’t I guess)

Advice to Senior ManagementIndividuals on this page have painted the wrong picture. You are doing fine.

An employment opportunity in IT Sales that works for the right person

Chicago, IL

ProsOver the years, New Horizons Computer Learning Centers (Great Lakes) employed Account Executives with little to no experience in the IT space and transformed them into knowledgeable IT sales personnel. There's great comradery among the sales team and everyone looks out for one another - uncommon in most sales environments. The management team is fair, just and willing to tell it as it is - uncommon in almost environment. There's an experienced Support/Administrative team with several years of industry knowledge which makes the role of Account Executive a pleasant one. The product you're putting in front of your clients (Instructors) are top notch and willing to take a pro-active approach as the company's Subject Matter Experts when called on to do so.

ConsThe metric based system used to measure how well an Account Executive is doing can be misleading, at times. The company can use a makeover on the training content it delivers and shouldn't try to be everything to everyone (too many courses available). If they were to pick 3 focus areas and expand the curriculum with customized content in those areas, they can penetrate an additional audience. But, I guess that means dropping the New Horizons CLC brand.

Advice to Senior ManagementRefer to my "Cons".

My experience at NHGL was extremely educational and laid a solid foundation for my professional career

Chicago, IL

ProsFantastic coworkers to work alongside, rewarding compensation for those who work hard and produce results, legitimate competitive advantages for a product/industry that has been commoditized, management team that supports and urges personal success for each employee as long as they show drive and effort

ConsCertain processes unorganized at times, some risk in seeking out and finding good long term clients in time to gain a solid foothold on sales production, income potential either pretty low or very high

Beyond Terrible place to work although truly not a disgruntled employee :)

Chicago, IL

ProsGreat, hard working Co-workers (not management) that assist you in any way they can.

ConsI was under the impression that I worked for a global organization, come to find that I worked for the equivalent of a small, Mom and Pop owned franchise.

As superior competition, offers a robust schedule of Traditional instructor led training, New Horizons CHICAGO is moving towards offering an ALL ONLINE virtual training menu. HQ in Michigan has their own concept of what the world wants, and an unrealistic approach to the Chicago marketplace. The majority, if not all of this particular franchise's live instructor led courses are located in HQ (Michigan) and they have very limited competition there, yet they compare their market almost equally to Chicago. This dynamic force plays into the Chicago management team's relentless and ongoing state of panic.

management gets neurotic at month end and encourages you to lose credibility with your clients by pushing sales through when they aren't ready to close. They do not want you to focus on servicing your clients to establish LONG-TERM, EFFECTIVE RELATIONSHIPS or providing them the service that will create loyalty. What they want is for you to close transactional sales and move on to the next client. Their hell-bent approach to sales forecasting reveals how tiny this operation truly is, and exposes the fact that they are operating on a shoestring budget.

unqualified management is on a SERIOUS power trip- absolutely NO experience in managing people or cultivating their strengths- management experience consists of reading books on how to manage people and they rely heavily on negative reinforcement along with primitive textbook tactics. They are extremely demeaning and dismissive of their sales team's accomplishments and actually talks bad about the AEs on as they leave the room! Furthermore, they try and take credit for their individual successes! If you express any logical concern, or question theirvtextbook methods, you are singled out as a person that is making excuses and can't do the job.

The overly metric-based performance measurement and micro management by unqualified management, coupled with negative culture and atmosphere will affect your day to day work flow. You will work hard and make strides, only to be brought down by management.

Ultimately the Chicago office will continue to struggle as they always have, in finding an identity. They will continue the vicious, "revolving door," cycle of losing good people and hiring new people in hopes of changing something without addressing the root cause of their many problems. They continue to do the exact same thing, yet they expect different results.
    overall I learned a lot from my co-workers, (not management), all of whom are great, hard working people. I rate this job objectively and this may be a fair / bad job for a recent college grad who is debt ridden and in need of professional experience. Although I would encourage living with your parents a little longer and taking on an internship with a real company.

Do not expect your manager to coach or develop you in any meaningful way.
    Do expect your manager to ask you what's in your pipeline everyday.
    Do expect your manager to lie to you.
    Do expect to be ambushed by your unqualified manager.

Advice to Senior Management60 day ramp up for this industry is unrealistic- truly professional and effective AEs need time to establish meaningful relationships and understand the inner-workings of their clients, (i.e., fiscal year, processes, DMs, etc) you appear to want champagne on a Michigan / Coors beer budget. if you cant afford to hire and retain good people to really get this franchise going, then close it down and buy a subway franchise -

Worked for New Horizons Computer Learning Centers Great Lakes? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at New Horizons Computer Learning Centers Great Lakes reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for New Horizons Computer Learning Centers Great Lakes CEO Mark McManus, Jr. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by New Horizons Computer Learning Centers Great Lakes employees.