New Horizons Computer Learning Centers

www.newhorizons.com

New Horizons Computer Learning Centers Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Earle W. Pratt

Pros
  • It is a great place to make business contacts and refine your skills on various computer programs(in 5 reviews)

• Opportunity to learn and grow to use here or elsewhere(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Also, their is no support for the sales team because everything is no segregated and separated to corporate(in 4 reviews)

• The account executives are given little or no training and must know what to ask for and who to ask in order to service a client(in 3 reviews)

New Owner in Wisconsin in 2014 is great, we are on the right track

Sales Executive (Current Employee) Waukesha, WI

ProsNew ownership and management in 2014 replaced the terrible owner from before. he is doing alot of the right things, morale is good. Actual training that we delver now is very high quality, new president is investing in us and the things we need. Feel good about where we are going

ConsWill take time to get everything where it needs to be, old equipment, old systems, need to spend more money on marketing, but it is getting there on all fronts.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing, don't forget that your employees are important

Good place to refine training skills but hours can be rough.

Technical Trainer (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsEnergetic and fun workplace with great colleagues. Great place to hone training skills.

ConsLow pay and high demands make this a challenging job. Often little time and support was offered to prepare new instructors for time in the classroom often leading to instructors being under prepared. Those who showed initiative to learn and prepare independently were successful, though.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on employee development and help instructors who are often inexperienced in the business world make connections between software use and real world business scenarios.

Stable sales job with nice perks.

ProsDecent working environment. Great IT training perks if you choose to take advantage of them. The owner cares about his employees.

ConsClass cancellations made it more challenging to sell. Old sales style of statistical "dialing for dollars" mentality. Not much room for advancement.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awful Company to work for/with - Northeast

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI guess something should be said that they are still open.

ConsTerrible leadership.
    COO has no clue
    CFO has even less of a clue
    Very little insight on how to get profitable
    Tons of infighting
    Run company like it is still 1990

Advice to Senior ManagementFire COO/CFO
    Get in new updated equipment - after all you are a technology company

Poor company ethics

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCustomer interaction was a great part of work day.

ConsAll management from the CEO to the HR staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook outside the company for management.

Great Company!

Front Desk (Former Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsFun atmosphere. Great people. Great students.

ConsI have no cons for this company.

Deceptive Pay Structure / Churns Employees

Account Executive (Former Employee) Kansas City, KS

ProsThey sell a needed product.

ConsAlmost all classes are only offered online- There is no instructor in the room. While the class is live many people still want an instructor in the room. Many also prefer a contracted instructor that works with the technology they are teaching in their 9-5 job. New Horizons uses full-time employees as instructors. I had one complaint that the "instructor literally read from a book". She wouldn't even accecpt a free class at $2,750. I took a one day Excel class and liked it, so it might be that the more complicated the course the more you want a real technician instead of a full-time employee.

The pay program is deceptive- They promise a base of $40,000 if you work 45 hours per week. The problem is you only get 42.5 hours per week. the payroll algorythm also deducts one hour per week which means you only get 41.5 hours. While I was there two employees brought this up to management. The first was told to "Go sell something." The second was chastized for approaching HR to ask for clarification.

Goals are way out of reach.-You're expected to sell $40,000 per month in training. The top producer at my location has not hit that goal in over 4 years. If not one salesperson hit the goal in 4 years

You're also the bill collector- You're responsble to sell and collect on all your accounts- if they don't pay within 75 days you still have to call, but you don't get paid the comission.

Advice to Senior ManagementHit the phones and forget about the glory days.

Don't lie about pay.

When you loose almost 20% of your sales force in one week you're doning something wrong

New Horizons 5PE group (franchise)

Account Executive (Current Employee) Kansas City, KS

ProsPeople are great, benefits are good

ConsNo longer any decent sales contest within each center. No salary change once you get in. They take away more than they give. Your job is threatened every day.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management keeps trying new things and aren't sure of long term outcome. Too many chiefs. They don't care about their people at all. Last month I won a key card to an executive's hotel room after he checked out, said I could use it to scrap my pans when I washed them. Really? Last week I won $2 in a contest.

Horrible Management they're trying to figure it out everyday

Senior Account Executive (Current Employee) Irving, TX

ProsGood starter job for your resume. Free training is available but you have to take PTO to get it approved.

ConsAbsolutely No Training, Micromanaged environment, basically this is a call center. Also, their is no support for the sales team because everything is no segregated and separated to corporate. The operations team does not care and has no sense of urgency when it comes to time sensitive clients.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't let your favoritism cloud your judgment on other employees. Try to focus on the big picture and not focus on one item or task at a time. Take a sales class and try to brush up on your sales tactics. Former Application Instructors should not be in a Sales Management position.

A good working enviroment

Account Executive (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay and good people to work with

ConsYou are punished if you miss any time from work for any reason

Worked for New Horizons Computer Learning Centers? Contribute to the Community!