New Jersey Division of Child Protection and Permanency

Updated October 20, 2014
Updated October 20, 2014
3.3

Kimberly Ricketts

Don't stay! Run as quick as you can!

Former Employee - Family Service Specialist in Atlantic City, NJ
    Former Employee - Family Service Specialist in Atlantic City, NJ

I worked at New Jersey Division of Child Protection and Permanency full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great Benefits! Weekends off!

Cons

Unsafe Working Conditions! Especially Atlantic City Office! Workers get beat up and there are a lot of gun shots! LOM is not fair and doesn't care about workers or families.

Look into employee complaints! There is a lot happening and it puts children at risk! Random drug tests are needed for State Workers!

I only Intern there for College

I worked at New Jersey Division of Child Protection and Permanency

Pros

The purpose of the job is Great

Cons

Its very intense when it come to dealing with certain situations

Grow and go job

Former Employee - Nurse in Cherry Hill, NJ
    Former Employee - Nurse in Cherry Hill, NJ

I worked at New Jersey Division of Child Protection and Permanency full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I was able to complete my graduate degree and now I am receiving offers for higher level positions outside of DYFS/DCP&P.
    I will be leaving this position soon.

Cons

The pay for nurses called HCCMs, CNCs, and RNAs is low for all the work and risk you take with your license. If you are a nurse and plan to work for Rutgers as a contracted employee for DYFS/DCP&P plan on a deep pay cut. Division supervisors say they want to work and have communication with you but it is not true. People have their own agendas and it has nothing to do with children. Trenton keeps adding new measures that really don't aid in an employee's ability to keep children safe, just more busy work. The Division is reactionary and they do not look at prevention the act of prevention as a nurse does. The Division is currently making changes to make the nurses' role more like a caseworker and that is not nursing and it is not good. Nurses need to be able to work as nurses and not be delegated work the DYFS/DCP&P thinks a nurse can do. Nurses have a license and we practice within our scope of practice and when we work outside that scope it is called malpractice and DYFS/DCP&P will often ask you as a nurse to operate outside your scope of practice. I have explained why I cannot do so requested tasks and I am treated as if I am difficult by Division supervision.

Division supervisors do not use intimidation tactics or threats. Do not lie or withhold pertinent health information from the nurses until there is a crisis.

Division supervisors be proactive and not reactionary .

Division supervisors the time to act is when there is a "red Flag" not when the child is in crisis.

My experience was not a good one due to lack of communication.

Former Employee - Resource Parent in Lumberton, NJ
    Former Employee - Resource Parent in Lumberton, NJ

I worked at New Jersey Division of Child Protection and Permanency full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Helping families was my pleasure.

Cons

Employees cared more about themselves than the children.

Working together for the sake of the children should be most important. Instead of looking for faults try to correct situations to make better employees instead of breaking people down.Once the organization is one unit, helping the public will be easy.

Good experience but ...

I worked at New Jersey Division of Child Protection and Permanency

Pros

The training is very comprehensive

Cons

Terrible work life balance. My life was dedicated to the job

In the beginning it was very satisfying and rewarding. Then it became overwhelming too many families to manage

Former Employee - Family Service Specialist in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Family Service Specialist in Newark, NJ

I worked at New Jersey Division of Child Protection and Permanency full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very good salary and health benefits

Cons

Not enough cars to go out in the field and not enough clerical support.

DYFS review-the good, bad, and ugly.

Current Employee - Case Practice Specialist in Paterson, NJ
    Current Employee - Case Practice Specialist in Paterson, NJ

I have been working at New Jersey Division of Child Protection and Permanency

Pros

Opportunity for advancement and great benefits-at least for now. After many years of poor pay, we started to get fairly compensated in the mid-90's on out. However, that could change in the future as NJ state government employees are attacked by jealous types in the private sector. The general public has no idea how hard everyone at DYFS works and the constant pressure applied from all sides.

Cons

The job can take over your life and it is notoriously stressful if you care about what you do.

Remember that your employees have children of their own and are not little robots. You were there once, remember???

Work at New Jersey Division of Child Protection and Permanency? Share Your Experiences

New Jersey Division of Child Protection and Permanency