New Jersey On-Line Reviews

2.7
Matt Kraner

1. Friendly, but not friendly

I worked at New Jersey On-Line full-time

Pros

Everyone was really friendly and personable. The office atmosphere was causal and really open door.

Cons

High pressured with little training -- often felt like I was flying blind Hours were incredibly strict and early (8-5) for a news org Working with the print properties was always really awkward because it was clear we were there to replace them Despite everyone being friendly, there was very little comradery between workers

Advice to Management

Foster friendliness outside of the office Train better

2. Overall a decent experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scranton, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scranton, PA

I worked at New Jersey On-Line (Less than a year)

Pros

Treated well at an entry level position. Saw opportunity to work my way up.

Cons

The staff saw a pretty high turnover rate while I was there. Didn't seem like a very secure position. Printed press is dying, working in that industry felt like a ticking time bomb

Advice to Management

Content is king. The newspaper as we see it is dying, consider making significant changes before it's too late.

3. Eyes Wide Open

I worked at New Jersey On-Line full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You'll learn the full range of digital advertising products for SMBs It's a well established brand in the community, and will be great on a resume Commissions are theoretically unlimited Pretty decent marketing support

Cons

At the end of my tenure, there was increasing micromanagement and reporting that was unnecessary Process heavy Digital products were very often overpriced for small businesses and didn't deliver what they were supposed to. Impression advertising is commodotized, for larger advertisers there are much less expensive and easier ways to buy than through NJ.com. If AEs don't make their goal for three months, they are fired. Goals aren't based on historical data; they're drawn from budget demands, not actual revenue potential.

Advice to Management

When you have employees in a business development role, solicit feedback from them about products and the market, rather than firing good sales people for not meeting unrealistic sales goals created by budgetary demands rather than knowledge of the market.

5. Good foundation for starting out

Former Employee - Reporter in Trenton, NJ
    Former Employee - Reporter in Trenton, NJ

I worked at New Jersey On-Line full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you have any desire to work as a reporter, getting an opportunity in this field is itself a plus. While I was there, the focus shifted dramatically from traditional newspaper stories to online blog and social media updates. If you want to maintain any type of work in this field, this type of knowledge is a huge plus. The newsroom leaders were always patient in teaching us how to present our stories for maximum potential viewership. The editors were always fair and know how to fix up a story while still maintaining the voice of the reporter. My fellow reporters were all nice, interesting and had wicked senses of humor. There was a great vibe in the newsroom - it felt more like an extended family (especially during special events like election night, when there would be a pizza feast and everyone shared the same tense anticipation). Overall, a great learning experience that has given me lots of marketable skill sets.

Cons

The industry, in general, is in terrible decline. This isn't the Times' fault, but your job could be put on the chopping block at any moment. They went through two big purges of staff (all budget-related) while I was there. It was good to learn about the ways to maximize viewership and clickability, but at the same time, that goal would often get dangerously close to becoming the sole focus or purpose of which stories got written. The turnaround rate was also insanely fast. I went from last-hired to the second-most experienced in the newsroom within 5 months.

Great assets/ marketing solutions.

Former Employee - Account Executive in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Jersey City, NJ

Pros

Effective sales manager who didn't micromanage.

Cons

office location in journal square seemed unsafe at times

Advice to Management

none

7. Former Intern

Former Employee - Intern in Secaucus, NJ
    Former Employee - Intern in Secaucus, NJ

Pros

Good for portfolio but thats about it. Some places are very unsafe

Cons

Their pay for intern is a joke especially since the location of the paper is so expensive to live there. Editor and managers are a joke and don't know what they want. They will send you to joke assignments that are pointless and have no news significance. Long hours.

Advice to Management

Pay interns more so they care about the work they put out. Be more organized in choosing and giving out assignments.

8. Loved it. Learned a lot. Paid well outta college.

Former Employee - Copy Designer in Trenton, NJ
    Former Employee - Copy Designer in Trenton, NJ

I worked at New Jersey On-Line part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really lets you put a lot of things on your resume You feel needed and important

Cons

Late nights sometimes Depending on job, no room for growth, but it depends

9. You never know what's coming

I worked at New Jersey On-Line full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They seem to pay decent, but negotiate. I wish I did I probably would have gotten a better salary.

Cons

Lack of direction, and the little consistency they do have is constantly changing. I was there for less then a year and was laid off, I think mid-management and senior management had different ideas about what my position would entail when I was hired. You could work very hard here and still get no recognition, so pace yourself don't burn out. Also, little to no room for advancement. They are not New Jersey Online anymore, they are NJ Advance Media, they went through many changes and consolidated many of the newspapers, resulting in many layoffs, it's sad, but media can be a volatile industry - prepare yourself for that.

Advice to Management

Care about the people who bust their bums for you, and not only about page views.

10. Dead end career, full of frustration, dishonesty and horrible ethics

Current Employee - Sales in Morristown, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales in Morristown, NJ

I have been working at New Jersey On-Line full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

No one cares about anything so there is no accountability for getting work done or doing a good job

Cons

Communication and insecurity are the biggest offenders from top management. Horrible culture, support system. They do a terrible job at managing and fostering talent, however, they're pros at managing robots and followers. Employees who work hard become depressed and apathetic due to management's abuse and neglect. there is no accountability anywhere in the Morristown office.

Advice to Management

Hire new top management and watch sales soar

11. People are nice, but management is

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Secaucus, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Secaucus, NJ

I have been working at New Jersey On-Line part-time

Pros

The people are friendly, hard working and professional. It's a small paper, but everyone is dedicated to putting out the best product possible. They recently moved to a new office, so the environment is nice. The pay is decent.

Cons

Management is...flaky. Changes are promised and never come. I was asked in for a two-week tryout four months after my interview, then was hired for two days a week even though I was never told during the hiring process that the position would be part time. There is a lot of moving people around into different roles indefinitely. The office is very short staffed.

RSS Feed </> Embed