New Jersey Transit

Updated Mar 17, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

James S. Simpson

Great fun and hard work but very well worth it!

Outreach Supervisor (Former Employee)

I worked at New Jersey Transit full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGrowth, salary and great training. The company cares about it's employees and always reflects that.

ConsWorking through difficult weather conditions.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen in the field, stop to say hello to those that make the difference everyday in the front line.

Trackmen

Trackmen (Former Employee)

I worked at New Jersey Transit full-time for more than 8 years

ProsLots of overtime that you can possibly work at times. Some real great people to work with. Traveling different places in NJ. Employee ID good for free ride on entire system.

ConsHard work. Rude management. Selfish people. Rude customers. Working outdoors in all the elements. Danger of getting struck by trains or equipment.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees with more respect. Management should be more transparent.

Good starting salary but no raises in last 5 years.

Customer Service (Former Employee)

I worked at New Jersey Transit full-time for more than 5 years

ProsExcellent benefits. Very generous PTO. Good employee assistance program.

ConsDue to budget cuts no increase in salary, however, more responsibilities added to your job description every review.

Advice to Senior ManagementNon administration and non management employees work the hardest for this company, they deserve pay increases at least to keep up with yearly increase of living expenses.

Government Agency

I have been working at New Jersey Transit

ProsIt's a job to have. Work hard and get rewarded.

ConsNo raises and no traveling pass

Work place expirences

Operator (Current Employee)

I have been working at New Jersey Transit part-time for more than a year

Prosgood pay good bennifits great oppotunity for growth

ConsIf you dont like driving and dealing with the public this job is not for you

good money and bennies but lots of stress and employee harrasment

Bus Operator (Current Employee)

I have been working at New Jersey Transit full-time for more than 10 years

Prosamalgamated transit union and good pay

Conscompany is too large and does not know who the good employees are. poor schedule makers and bad management.company is geared around employee harassment.

Advice to Senior Managementget out.let people with on job experience take control. start useing common scense if you have any.

Used to be grea...the public sector just isn't worth it anymore...

Safety (Current Employee)

I have been working at New Jersey Transit full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat benefits, decent pay. Short and well known chain of command in all departments. Most management came from some sort of working craft so they know what their employees do first hand.

ConsNo raise for over five years! More benefits being taken away as time goes on. The problem being a "private" company owned and operated by the state government so not only does it change every 4 years, but there are political cronies hired into do nothing jobs and the board just caters to the politcal climate

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being a political entity and start being a company...like the one that used to care for and protect its employees.

Good pay and benefits. If you work hard, then bring a sack of patience with you.

Bus Mechanic (Former Employee)

I worked at New Jersey Transit

ProsStable company with decent pay and benefits. Company provided training is very good. Most supervisors are promoted from within the company. I never heard of layoffs for union employees.

ConsReverse discrimination is a big thing here. The race card is played too often and management buys it all the time. I personally know of several mechanics who failed the mechanic tests after 6 weeks of training and they still got promoted because of their race. The union forbids management from giving performance bonuses or rewarding hard work. They only care about seniority, period. In order to appear as not showing favoritism, they go to the extremes, giving out harsh penalties when a good employee makes an honest minor mistake, but looking the other way when a lazy bum screws up the whole job. Prior experience means nothing in this place.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward good employee behavior. Make the same rules apply to everyone. Change your hiring practices to hire mechanics that, at least, know something about it.

NJ Transit Engineering

I have been working at New Jersey Transit

ProsSupervision gives a lot of lattitude to employees for problem solving. In the Capital Construction Group the Project Manager is given much authority and responsibility for the assigned Project with minimum interference form senior management. There is appropriate accountability for good/bad decisions

ConsThe system tools in the Project Management Group need to be updated such as ready and user friendly access to financial information.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a 'best practice' survey of similar companies with respect to system tools.

Not a bad company

Conductor (Former Employee)
Hoboken, NJ

I worked at New Jersey Transit

ProsIt's helpful for gaining expenience in the transportation industry

Consirregular hours, senority based positions

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more rewards for your workers who show evidence of doing a good job.

Worked for New Jersey Transit? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at New Jersey Transit reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for New Jersey Transit CEO James S. Simpson. All 12 reviews posted anonymously by New Jersey Transit employees.