New Leaders for New Schools Reviews

Jean Desravines

1. Not a bad place to learn

Former Employee - Manager in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at New Leaders for New Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a great place to work for a couple years and learn best practices in your chosen field. Everyone is committed to the vision and therefore committed to working hard for the organization. You will meet wonderful people.

Cons

This company isn't loyal. The organization has shifted quite a bit and let a lot of good people leave the organization.

2. A great place to work and learn. Flexible work locations and hours allow for a terrific work/life balance.

I have been working at New Leaders for New Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart people, great mission, great work/life balance, flexible working location, lots of opportunity to move within the organization. You also have the opportunity to take part in the development of great school leaders.

Cons

District conditions severely impact the work (by nature) which means you have to be flexible and comfortable with ambiguity. Company culture varies from city to city.

Advice to Management

This site has the wrong CEO listed so this section doesn't make much sense. My advice to the current leadership is: press on!

3. ok

I have been working at New Leaders for New Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Admirable vision to improve educational outcomes for under-served students

Cons

Challenged in implementating and managing organizational change

5. Hypocritical organization. It trains school leaders but can't demonstrate strong leadership to save its life.

I worked at New Leaders for New Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best thing about working at New Leaders when I was there was that it was an organization full of amazing, driven, smart people.

Cons

The con was that the organization did nothing to keep these people and to build a positive culture around them. It was a risk averse culture. Decisions took forever and you had directors running things by leaders that should not have been. Really experienced people doing administrative work because bigger work wasn't possible. Things were very stagnant. Little progress was made and there was a lot of apathy after a while. It was an organization that constantly struggled to tap into the true potential of its employees. It is an organization that is just poorly managed. Two lay-offs when I was an employee and two since I've left (that I know of). This clearly speaks to dysfunction and an inability to properly plan. And it sounds like that continues today.

Advice to Management

Slow down, look at what you are doing and take your heads out of the sand. Create a culture in which your people can thrive (or at least keep their jobs!).

6. Shows promise, but needs to value employees and build a strategy around impact

I have been working at New Leaders for New Schools full-time

Pros

Flexible work environment, competitive salary and benefits, great offices, nice people.

Cons

General lack of communication and care towards employees, high turnover, lacks basic processes such as project management standards, 360 employee reviews, and senior management needs to focus on strategic planning/objectives.

Advice to Management

Stop changing for change's sake. Think strategically about annual goals and remove extraneous work outside of these goals. Mature processes and invest in employees.

7. Not the worst, not the best...

I have been working at New Leaders for New Schools full-time

Pros

Positive mission and great effect on urban communities nationwide. I met great people at New Leaders

Cons

There was a real lack of professional development...also there isn't a great path to leadership within the organization

Expoure to inspired educators, disorganization and lack of focus hindering growth.

I have been working at New Leaders for New Schools full-time

Pros

Flexible work environment, exposure to talented educators through programs, nationwide network...

Cons

Deteriorating partnerships and reputation with school districts and cities, disgruntled program participants, high turnover and low compensation for junior and support staff. Poor management in city offices leads to wasted dollars, ineffective programming, and dissatisfied staff.

Advice to Management

Invest more dollars in actual programming, rather than development staff, and focus on hiring professionals to manage crucial relationships with district partners.

9. Overall, a good experience in which you are given a good amount of responsibility

Current Employee - Operations Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at New Leaders for New Schools

Pros

Lots of responsibility, and the ability to grow into the role your given and customize it to your own skill set, if you take the initiative.

Cons

Lots of red tape in terms of getting ideas pushed through, and a lot of "old school" education veterans who are averse to change.

Advice to Management

More proactive feedback for employees; try a bit harder to recognize the skill set of the employee and leverage that skill set for new and interesting initiatives within the organization.

challenging and busy

I have been working at New Leaders for New Schools

Pros

Mission, smart people who care

Cons

overload and too many changes at once

No purpose

I have been working at New Leaders for New Schools

Pros

Salary and benefits are good.

Cons

After a year working there, I still didn't understand what they did. Senior management only knows how to communicate in jargon. They can't explain what they do in plain English. It's a wonder they get funding.

I was hired to do a job that nobody wanted and nobody cared that I had nothing to dol

RSS Feed </> Embed