New Look Reviews

Updated August 17, 2014

3.7

New Look Executive Chairman Alistair McGeorge
Alistair McGeorge

Extremely welcoming and very friendly

Current Employee - Sales Assistant  in  Telford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Telford, England (UK)

I have been working at New Look part-time for less than a year

Pros

If you have a problem they are more than happy to help, they've always got a smile on their faces and are very friendly and approachable.

Cons

When I started I was on a type of contract that only let me work 8 hours a week so I had to get another job to support myself and when I had the opportunity to get overtime at New Look I couldn't because I was working somewhere else and this didn't enable to progress with the company

The management handle things very well apart from the uniform which employees have to buy and it costs a lot.

Challenging, Fast paced and a great place to extend retail experience or even for beginners.

Former Employee - Sales Assistant  in  Newport, South East England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Newport, South East England, England (UK)

I worked at New Look part-time for less than a year

Pros

Your co-workers are friendly, and willing to have a laugh outside of work to build up friendships and a better working environment. When starting as a newbie, you're made to feel really welcomed into the staff, and are encouraged to do so to other team members that would start after you have. hours are flexible and it's always easy to swap a shift with another co-worker when approved by management. Rates of pay are really good. Always encouraged to try new things, e.g. opening accounts, arranging displays, etc, etc.

Cons

Sometimes the focus on opening accounts is a little extreme, and it's understood that meeting targets is always competitive among other stores in the area, but members of staff shouldn't be made to feel lesser if they haven't managed to open account that day/week. Some people are just better at that sort of thing than others and management members should understand that.

Great job but not all the time.

Current Employee - Supervisor  in  Lowestoft, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Lowestoft, England (UK)

I have been working at New Look part-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun coworkers, great teamwork, oppourtinites to progress within the company. Busy environment and fast paced. Fashions always changing. Some customers can be great and make you feel like your job is worthwhile. Great staff discount.

Cons

Not great pay for supervisory roles who do the same job as deputy and store manager with a lot less pay. Customers can sometimes be tricky. Short contracts and hours not always available to everyone that wants them.

Higher pay for management with more training and instore learning.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working for New Look

Current Employee - Sales Assistant  in  Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at New Look part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Staff Discount 50% off!
    Great staff everyone is friendly and it is a positive working environment

Cons

There is room for progression within New Look however the salary is still very basic. New Look like to give people opportunities to develop and grow in store with no personal benefits in return. For example the Visual Merchandisers and "Department Specialists" still end up on the same wages as sales assistants and the hours and what is asked of them is out of order. The Vm's and "specialists" will end up with nothing to do so they end up on basic sales assistant jobs such as clear rail, tills, fitting rooms etc. If you were a VM in Topshop or River Island this certainly does not occur on such a regular basis.

There's also alot of pressure to sell store account cards and "order in stores" with nothing in return and only getting told by management "its your job" when they themselves dont ever get accounts.

The breaks in shifts are ridiculous you have to work over 6 hours for 30 min lunch and over 8 for an hour lunch. If you are unlucky to be on the night shifts preparing for sale where you could be working 12 hour shifts such as 8pm-7am you also only end up with an hour lunch as well.

They are constantly understaffed which makes the workload harder for everyone else. Theres also no change in tasks either, once you prove you are good at one job you will stay there forever which makes you hate the job and brings no excitement to the role.

better breaks for staff, rewards for accounts and orders, and re-evaluate salaries for roles higher than a sales assistant, focus on developing younger staff and giving more opportunities to those who wish to work in fashion and have worked for the company a long time

teller

I worked at New Look full-time

Pros

great and smart people. a good job. great management as long as you do a good job

Cons

the salary aren't great. information isn't shared across departments

Enjoyable but tiring.

Current Employee - Sales Assistant  in  Stratford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Stratford, England (UK)

I have been working at New Look part-time for more than a year

Pros

Very enjoyable place to work,in addition to some great members of staff along with a supportive management team. Flexible hours that allow me to work around my A-Levels. Also pretty decent pay for someone of my age.

Cons

Poorly trained members of staff who aren't engaged with their job.

Assess all staffs skills to see who is an efficient worker and who is dead weight.

They don't value their staff whatsoever.

Former Employee - Sales Assistant
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant

I worked at New Look part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

50% discount is about it...

Cons

Short shifts, like 3 hours or 4 hours. Very little full time contracts, only for management. Lots of small contracts such as 4 or 8 hours. My houlry pay has gone down three times since I've been there, terrible breaks, only time and a third on a sunday, just really poor wages.

Treat your staff with respect and you won't have such a high employee turnover.

Good structure and pays well

I worked at New Look

Pros

Strong employer brand, good pay for the area, nice work environment

Cons

Not able to comment on this as been a few years since I left

Great working environment, but poor management style

Former Employee - Sales Advisor  in  Plymouth, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Plymouth, England (UK)

I worked at New Look part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great 50% discount. Flexi hour contract allows lots of overtime and additionally accrued holiday.
    Plenty of social events organised outside of work, as there are so many workers in this store.

Cons

Flexi contract can mean you have minimal hours some weeks, especially after January sales.
    Holiday is strict - have to get it approved at least 5 weeks before - sometimes not possible, and you have to find your own cover.
    High staff turnover - lots of students and employees who don't want to work in retail for a career, so don't work hard at all.

Favouritism in this store is evident, with some hard workers not getting noticed.
    Management constantly changing, should try to get on with employees for them to gain trust in their authority.

Discount, friendship, skills

Former Employee - CUSTOMER CARE EXPERT  in  Milton Keynes, England (UK)
    Former Employee - CUSTOMER CARE EXPERT in Milton Keynes, England (UK)

I worked at New Look part-time for more than a year

Pros

The 50% discount and 25% friends and family vouchers are unbeatable. Communication of deals and other important information is good, and the managers (in Milton Keynes) were approachable. Holiday was easy to book, and although rotas were not planned 4 weeks ahead it was easy to call up to check shifts.

Cons

After moving to the Marble Arch branch I realised that not all stores are as enjoyable to work for as my home store, where staff turnover was low and we could really form relationships. In London the management were much less friendly or trusting, and I felt demoted compared to at home.

After returning to New Look after a year of uni I found that we no longer received paper payslips, and that it was all done online. In the three months I was back, neither the management or I could register me on the system, and consequently I do not have the payslips required to claim back the PAYE tax.

Worked for New Look? Contribute to the Community!