New Penn Financial Reviews

Updated August 27, 2014
Updated August 27, 2014

3.3

Jerry Schiano

New Penn is THE PLACE to learn, excel and make a career in the finance business!

Former Employee - National Sales Trainer
    Former Employee - National Sales Trainer

I worked at New Penn Financial full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people, the training, the growth and the culture of this company are all reasons to stay!

Cons

It is kind of a hike if you do not live in Pennsylvania. It is at the crossroads of two of the most famously congested highway arteries in the Philadelphia area.

Not too bad

Current Employee - Operation  in  Plymouth Meeting, PA
    Current Employee - Operation in Plymouth Meeting, PA

I have been working at New Penn Financial full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good Pay, Great staff, enjoyed happy hours, learned a lot from my peers.

Cons

Long Hours / HUGE LAYOFF Took place in Sept 2013

Your job is only as secure as the market !

Mortgage consultant in strongsville ohio

Current Employee - Mortgage Consultant  in  Strongsville, OH
    Current Employee - Mortgage Consultant in Strongsville, OH

I have been working at New Penn Financial full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great managers, very supportive and laid back. Great people. Processing and underwriting is fantastic, they really push to close your loans. Managers really care about their people. Systems are good as well as pricing and costs are low. A very good bank for customers. Great work-life balance, managers in cleveland are great.

Cons

They dont pay their bankers. And the leads are increasingly terrible. They already only pay min wage, which for a professional is already insulting enough, but they only pay 70-85bps on volume in a market with low average loan sizes, and the pay is the same whether youre in a market with $400k loans vs ohio with $130k loans, but then comes the worst part: they take, or rob, $1500 out of your commission and call it a "standard deduction"!!! So after paying min wage and 85bps, which is already insulting....they take $1500 away and no one has any explanation on what it is. When you ask about it they shrug their shoulders. If its for the leads, its a poor reason; the leads are garbage from lendingtree that have already been called by 10+ diff companies and most people dont even answer, and the leads are getting fewer and fewer. I love the people and would stay if they valued and paid solid bankers and maybe just had 10 high paid bankers who could easily handle the volume of the office, instead of 25 bankers who are all broke and fighting for the minimal business that the branch produces. But more people = more $1500 standard deductions. Its so sad because i love the managers and believe in the company, but who can live on min wage with what turns out to be 50bps on $150k loans?! Youre already losing great people because youre taking $18,000 a year away from someone that youre paying min wage and calling it a "standard deduction", which with this industry, its becoming standard to not pay your performers. Very sad.

Fix above issue and value your bankers by not letting them live with the stress of being broke half the time, pay a higher draw so people can budget, pay a higher commision and dont take $1500 away from someone who no matter what can never compete with NC or GA or CA, and stop having depressing sales calls where we have to cheer for branches that have a huge advantage over ohio and the same standards, contests, and compensation, when their loan size is double ours. And stop spending money on lending tree, get a unique mail piece so customers call us, instead of harrassing people who were tricked into giving up their phone number and dont want a call in the first place. We need less bankers who are happy and compensated, instead of more broke bankers who dont want to quit but have to choose between working for a great bank like new penn....or paying their bills on time.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The Boys Club puts the almighty dollar before employees

I worked at New Penn Financial full-time for less than a year

Pros

I cannot think of anything. I'm sorry.

Cons

The you're lucky you have a job mentality is so powerful. They do not appreciate employee hard work and loyalty. I have unfortunately seen first hand that they will put money in front of integrity and doing the right thing.

Keep doing what you're doing. You will have no employee engagement or loyalty.

Good people, bad job

I have been working at New Penn Financial

Pros

Other LOs are amazing people

Cons

over worked and underpaid. mostly commission with no room for improvement

Most boring job ever

Former Employee - Mortgage Consultant  in  Strongsville, OH
    Former Employee - Mortgage Consultant in Strongsville, OH

I worked at New Penn Financial full-time for less than a year

Pros

Non really, rates are somewhat decent depending on the day

Cons

Limited leads dealing with clients with barely qualifying credit scores, not a team effort. you are basically a credit repairer trying to get someone qualified for a mortgage. Expected to call aged leads from a year ago and trying to find a needle in a haystack for a loan. they market to people to people who would never qualify for a loan in 2006 let alone now. Management does not care about the banker, very lazy, and do not do anything to help you get more business and close loan. Most people are content with closing 1 or 2 loans per month. Outdated systems. I could do the work people did in a week in one day. There was no training program, not that i needed one. Expect to receive 2 maybe three calls per day from people calling in but 90% were in a BK or forclosure

Quality leads = quality loans, more leads = more closed loans.

Great! Loved this job, they were super flexible and fun to work for.

Current Employee - Loan Closer  in  Saint Louis Park, MN
    Current Employee - Loan Closer in Saint Louis Park, MN

I have been working at New Penn Financial full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The management was very good, great culture everyone was really easy to get a long with.

Cons

The company shut down, the market was not good.

They started off with the best of intentions

I worked at New Penn Financial full-time

Pros

Good training program and lots or training support after.

Cons

As a whole, they are a disorganized mess. The right hand doesn't know or doesn't care what the left hand is doing.

A refreshing experience in the new age of the mortgage industry.

I have been working at New Penn Financial

Pros

Employee focused with growth and development in mind.

Cons

Lack of strong brand recognition nation wide due to young age.

Absolutely terrible

I worked at New Penn Financial full-time

Pros

Honestly I can't think of one good thing about this company.

Cons

You would make more in a restaurant 7.25 an hour base. The promise that everyone there is closing large numbers of loans and everything is set up for sale side. In reality it's the opposite, everyone is closing max 3 loans due to a convoluted underwriting process. Training is terrible either you get it or you don't and you have a week to absorb all of the information. The computer software they are designing is garbage. It stops working constantly. Oh and the 1500$ automatic withdrawal from your commission every month doesn't help either. And you won't be moving up in the company...ever.

Train your employees, or use a more common user friendly mortgage software. Get better managers who are willing to do their job and are polite.

Worked for New Penn Financial? Contribute to the Community!