New Penn Motor Express Reviews

3.2
New Penn Motor Express President Donald R. Foust
Donald R. Foust

1. Featured Review

I've been with New Penn for 4 years, and it has been the most rewarding job experience.

Current Employee - Inside Sales Specialist in Lebanon, PA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Specialist in Lebanon, PA

I have been working at New Penn Motor Express full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The best things about working for New Penn, is the company loyalty to their customers, and employees. This isn't just a job to work, but a family in most ways. I enjoy the people I work with, and the customers I help on a daily basis. I get up in the morning happy to go to work.

Cons

The only thing would be negative attitudes from customers and employees. Everybody has bad days, and you can't help that, and it will leak into other aspects of your life. Best way is to stay positive and friendly with those customers and employees, and they tend to soften up a little.

My advice to management, would be to continue treating employees and customer, the way you would want to be treated.

2. Moving and different; it's your family away from your family.

I have been working at New Penn Motor Express

Pros

I've worked here 22 yrs and it is like having an extended family. It has it's up's and downs but It kept a smile on my face. I like the people,the challenges and even the joke's it's like anything else we all have our jobs to do and after everything is said and done it is like you achieved something. You have to like what you're doing or you will never be satisfied!

Cons

Sometimes the equipment is not up to par,they'll fix it ,if you write it up but not everybody does write it up ,they are sometimes a little pushy but it's for good reason I guess. In some areas management lacks the fortitude to achieve there point of view but that's why they call it work

Sometimes you have to look in your heart for the right answer, but that's what will always separate us. (Business is Business)

Worst experience of my life.

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor

I worked at New Penn Motor Express full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some people are great, money isn't terrible if salaried, great health insurance, If you have your CDL its probably the highest paying job there is.

Cons

Overtime is required and if you don't stay even longer than what is required you'll be looked down on.
    Off time is a joke, you are expected to not have a life, DO NOT WORK HERE IF YOU HAVE KIDS.
    Management is a joke, nothing is ever good enough for them.

Stop with the part time work, its not fair and as a supervisor was one of the most apparent things I noticed from walking in the door. Learn to care about your own company and not let YRC run you into the ground.

Good company but a lot of cancerous people left in the bunch. Hindrance to real growth

I have been working at New Penn Motor Express

Pros

Growing business challenging every day

Cons

Resentment left up hill battle

6. Good company if you are experienced in freight

Former Employee - Driver/Dockmen in Mechanicsburg, PA
    Former Employee - Driver/Dockmen in Mechanicsburg, PA

I worked at New Penn Motor Express full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Exposure to a variety of freight oriented jobs if you are new to the industry. Dock work, yard hostler, city driving (pick up and delivery) and OTR (over the road) are all possible duties on day one if you have your CDL.

Cons

Work performance and knowledge is expected regardless of experience even though when first starting the pay rate is on a scale. If you are experienced in the industry then it's just a matter of working through the scale progression until you are at full rate. If you are not new then understand you will be on call 24 hours a day when you first start working there until you get a bid.

everyday is an adventure

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Trenton, NJ
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Trenton, NJ

I have been working at New Penn Motor Express full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

good benefits.......pay is good but haven't gotten a raise in 5 years

Cons

we are owned by YRC and it seems like we are at a standstill with no real future

Good company to work for if you are lazy…

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Williamsville, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Williamsville, NY

I have been working at New Penn Motor Express part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You don't need a whole lotta edumacation, or experience (lol). They will train you. Pay is better than the min wage. You can be late for work - every day if you like - with no recourse - you can call off - several times a month - with no recourse - which is good for people with young children. They proviide an anonymous hotline if you're being harassed or have a problem with mgmt or other workers. This is for office only . Drivers are to adhere to teamster rules and reg.

Cons

You can get passed over for full time whether you qualify for position or not. It is a male favored environment. Raises have been few and far between. Not based on performance. Everyone gets the same, whether you have earned it or not. If you have a problem and use hotline ph # to report problem, it falls on deaf ears and eventually select people will know who you are and who / what you complained about. Gossip travels fast. If you do move from pt to ft, you lose all vacation time previously earned and start as if you were a new hire . Benefits are available full time employees only, but not very good.

A very average freight terminal with a company losing potential

Former Employee - Weights and Inspection Coordinator in Neville Island, PA
    Former Employee - Weights and Inspection Coordinator in Neville Island, PA

I worked at New Penn Motor Express part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Inspecting freight was a great way to learn about the freight industry from the inside and also a great way to see the daily grind that a city and a road trucker face. The pay was good, the atmosphere was relaxed because the terminal is small, and interaction was professional with truckers and managers.

Cons

Company was bought by YRC in past years and was hurting because of that. No chance of a pay raise in any near future as a result. Management is relaxed and afraid to take hold of their positions. I found instruction slim to none from the managers and had to rely on calling other terminals for support and criticism.

tough hard laborious time demanding stressful

Current Employee - Driver/Dockmen in Mercerville, NJ
    Current Employee - Driver/Dockmen in Mercerville, NJ

I have been working at New Penn Motor Express

Pros

Good steady work hourly pay benefits job security good equipment work requirements

Cons

they will look to hang you for any infraction no matter how slight or ambiguous Always looking to humiliate condescend and discourage

learn how to utilize the labor force efficiently and take the responsibility for getting things done in an expeditious manner without pouring all the blame on the employee

Cabable carrier that is beholding to the desires of a larger holding company .

Former Employee - Customer Service in Billerica, MA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Billerica, MA

I worked at New Penn Motor Express

Pros

The have a reputation for consistant delivery and service for the NE.

Cons

Lack of upward mobility for employees . Beholding to the directives of YRC and may be losing their idenity as a speciality NE carrier. They are starting to look like everyone else. Management is not aware and disconnected from drivers , reps and the field. Teamster issues always in the background.

Find something that makes you different and special going forward . Spinn off from your holding company and be independent again.

New Penn Motor Express Photos