New Penn Motor Express Reviews

2.9
New Penn Motor Express President Donald R. Foust
Donald R. Foust

1. Featured Review

I've been with New Penn for 4 years, and it has been the most rewarding job experience.

Current Employee - Inside Sales Specialist in Lebanon, PA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Specialist in Lebanon, PA

I have been working at New Penn Motor Express full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best things about working for New Penn, is the company loyalty to their customers, and employees. This isn't just a job to work, but a family in most ways. I enjoy the people I work with, and the customers I help on a daily basis. I get up in the morning happy to go to work.

Cons

The only thing would be negative attitudes from customers and employees. Everybody has bad days, and you can't help that, and it will leak into other aspects of your life. Best way is to stay positive and friendly with those customers and employees, and they tend to soften up a little.

Advice to Management

My advice to management, would be to continue treating employees and customer, the way you would want to be treated.

2. good comp[any

Pros

everything was great about this company

Cons

not much bad to saY ITS A GOOD COMPANY TO BUILD WITH

3. City driver

Current Employee - City Driver in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - City Driver in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at New Penn Motor Express full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Paid benefits, vacation pay up to 3weeks, great people

Cons

Giving up 15% wages concession and giving up portion of pension to bail YRC out of possible bankruptcy, even though top management gave themselves big bonuses. They keep extending the term and now it's till 2019. Terminal received notice we will never get our concession back.

Advice to Management

Spread the wealth. Give our concessions back. This will increase company moral. Give our pension funds back. We work hard for our money and it's hard for our drivers to retire due to having to pay our own benefits after retirement, forcing drivers to work till they can't physically do their job anymore. Just be fair!

Sep 1, 2015 – Director - Human Resources

Our country, our industry and our company all went through tough times in 2008 and 2009. Companies across the US took strong measures and that required tough actions to survive. Some people lost jobs ... More

5. Supervisor

I have been working at New Penn Motor Express full-time

Pros

Good people. Good pay and benefits

Cons

High stress and not enough training for new hires

6. ops supv

Current Employee - Ops Super
    Current Employee - Ops Super

Pros

good job, challenging, good co-workers.

Cons

teamsters are out of control...no accountability....expected to work 11-12 hr days with no break.

Sep 1, 2015 – Director - Human Resources

Our customers expect us to have their freight delivered at the right place and time. That’s a promise we make and, if we want to keep their business, it’s a promise we have to keep. That often means ... More

7. Horrible company

Former Employee - Supervisor
    Former Employee - Supervisor

I worked at New Penn Motor Express full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are incompetent this place will be paradise for you

Cons

Senior management is disengaged and incompetent. The company has a MASSIVE labor relation problem, and senior refuses to address or even acknowledge that. Terminal level management is very unskilled and unprofessional. Most of the managers in this company wouldn't be able to manage a lemonade stand. Hourly employees are bitter and disgruntled, so they fake injuries so they can go on comp. If you are smart and looking for a company in which you can grow, be successful, and develop professionally....work somewhere else.

Advice to Management

Fire the dead weight. Stop tolerating 3rd rate skills and ability from management. Drop the "New Penn is the best" arrogance and adopt best practices from companies in the industry that are doing it right. Stop misleading people during the recruiting process! Don't believe anything they tell you during interviews etc... this company's only interest is keeping the good Ole boy network intacted and lots of lip service.

Aug 10, 2015 – Director - Human Resources

In light of all the documented positives about New Penn, it’s clear that it we offer most employees a positive and rewarding career. Throughout the Northeast, and in both Canada and Puerto Rico, New ... More

8. solid employment

Current Employee - Driver/Dockmen in Mercerville, NJ
    Current Employee - Driver/Dockmen in Mercerville, NJ

Pros

guaranteed work and pay no freebies here you get paid for everything and good benefits to

Cons

long hours demanding physical work

Advice to Management

let us go home after 10 hours please

9. Long Hours in Summertime Because of Vacations

Current Employee - Spy in Reading, PA
    Current Employee - Spy in Reading, PA

Pros

Culture is slowly changing hopefully for the better. Safety is the main concern and reducing injuries through information. Most of the union workers work hard and do nice work but there are a few the ruin what the union stands for. When systems change they run the to the shop steward because they've been grieved! Grievance is the capital of NEW PENN!

Cons

The only way to get any wage increase is to give two weeks notice then there is magic money that appears out of the air as they try to pay you to stay. it really is sad they way your career spirals down from here.

Advice to Management

No raises or cost of living in years. People are money driven so reward the people that produce for your company, not just because they've been there for a long time.

May 22, 2015 – Director - Human Resources

We totally agree that our workers, both union and non-­union, work very hard every day to do the best job they can for our ... More

10. Goo company, good benefits...have to work hard to be successful

Former Employee - Account Manager in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Miami, FL

I worked at New Penn Motor Express full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Provides great service for LTL freight. Good incentives and benefits. Well established and respected in the industry.

Cons

Management can tend to micro manage. It will depend on your region and manager.

Advice to Management

Be more price competitive considering competitive industry environment..

Ops Supvr

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cranston, RI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cranston, RI

Pros

A ton of valuable knowledge within organization with aging workforce. Some are willing to help rookies, some aren't. It is a double edged sword. You couldn't work here if you didn't have years upon years of experience (PRO). Now, English isn't even really a requirement, which, more often than not, makes the job (for both mgmnt and union) more difficult, especially when simple instruction cannot be understood or conveyed without having to essentially "hold hands" and walk the employee through your verbal instructions and show them what you want done and how. (CON/PRO depending on which side of the fence you're on) The company still has tremendous growth and earnings potential... But is hindered by its owner (YRC)

Cons

Nobody cares anymore. From Union dockworker and P&D driver all the way up the chain of management. What once was a career of pride, is now just a job of misery. As a supervisor, years ago, you could lose your job on th spot with the way this company is being ran day in and day out now. Now a days, TDD's and GHT's are buried in loads behind apt freight or are loaded dead in the nose. Misloads are a common occurrence. Damages and claims are out of this world ridiculous. New Penn was where you wanted to be, it was THE BEST of the best... The dockworker had the mentality of what ever freight he/she was handling was their own and they owned it. There were no damages. Everyone looked out for each other and cared for the freight they were moving. Now, sadly... Nobody cares. Failing equipment and low morale with no mend in sight. New Penn, I feel unfortunately, is an endangered species with a low life expectancy. It is truly sad to see where this company has come.

Advice to Management

Be passionate, don't be afraid to speak your mind to TM's, RVP's, VP's & CEO's. This company has a strong back bone... It just needs a swift kick in the nuts. AND most of all (in my opinion) it needs to find a way to separate from YRC.

May 22, 2015 – Director - Human Resources

Like most companies these days, the New Penn workforce is more diverse than ever. That includes a larger number of people with English ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed