New Penn Motor Express Reviews

3.1
New Penn Motor Express President Donald R. Foust
Donald R. Foust

1. Featured Review

I've been with New Penn for 4 years, and it has been the most rewarding job experience.

Current Employee - Inside Sales Specialist in Lebanon, PA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Specialist in Lebanon, PA

I have been working at New Penn Motor Express full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best things about working for New Penn, is the company loyalty to their customers, and employees. This isn't just a job to work, but a family in most ways. I enjoy the people I work with, and the customers I help on a daily basis. I get up in the morning happy to go to work.

Cons

The only thing would be negative attitudes from customers and employees. Everybody has bad days, and you can't help that, and it will leak into other aspects of your life. Best way is to stay positive and friendly with those customers and employees, and they tend to soften up a little.

Advice to Management

My advice to management, would be to continue treating employees and customer, the way you would want to be treated.

2. Goo company, good benefits...have to work hard to be successful

Former Employee - Account Manager in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Miami, FL

I worked at New Penn Motor Express full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Provides great service for LTL freight. Good incentives and benefits. Well established and respected in the industry.

Cons

Management can tend to micro manage. It will depend on your region and manager.

Advice to Management

Be more price competitive considering competitive industry environment..

3. solid employment

Current Employee - Driver/Dockmen in Mercerville, NJ
    Current Employee - Driver/Dockmen in Mercerville, NJ

I have been working at New Penn Motor Express

Pros

guaranteed work and pay no freebies here you get paid for everything and good benefits to

Cons

long hours demanding physical work

Advice to Management

let us go home after 10 hours please

Ops Supvr

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cranston, RI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cranston, RI

I have been working at New Penn Motor Express

Pros

A ton of valuable knowledge within organization with aging workforce. Some are willing to help rookies, some aren't. It is a double edged sword. You couldn't work here if you didn't have years upon years of experience (PRO). Now, English isn't even really a requirement, which, more often than not, makes the job (for both mgmnt and union) more difficult, especially when simple instruction cannot be understood or conveyed without having to essentially "hold hands" and walk the employee through your verbal instructions and show them what you want done and how. (CON/PRO depending on which side of the fence you're on)
    The company still has tremendous growth and earnings potential... But is hindered by its owner (YRC)

Cons

Nobody cares anymore. From Union dockworker and P&D driver all the way up the chain of management. What once was a career of pride, is now just a job of misery. As a supervisor, years ago, you could lose your job on th spot with the way this company is being ran day in and day out now. Now a days, TDD's and GHT's are buried in loads behind apt freight or are loaded dead in the nose. Misloads are a common occurrence. Damages and claims are out of this world ridiculous. New Penn was where you wanted to be, it was THE BEST of the best... The dockworker had the mentality of what ever freight he/she was handling was their own and they owned it. There were no damages. Everyone looked out for each other and cared for the freight they were moving.
    Now, sadly... Nobody cares. Failing equipment and low morale with no mend in sight. New Penn, I feel unfortunately, is an endangered species with a low life expectancy. It is truly sad to see where this company has come.

Advice to Management

Be passionate, don't be afraid to speak your mind to TM's, RVP's, VP's & CEO's. This company has a strong back bone... It just needs a swift kick in the nuts. AND most of all (in my opinion) it needs to find a way to separate from YRC.

New Penn Motor Express Response

May 22, 2015Director - Human Resources

Like most companies these days, the New Penn workforce is more diverse than ever. That includes a larger number of people with English ... More

6. Long Hours in Summertime Because of Vacations

Current Employee - Spy in Reading, PA
    Current Employee - Spy in Reading, PA

I have been working at New Penn Motor Express

Pros

Culture is slowly changing hopefully for the better. Safety is the main concern and reducing injuries through information. Most of the union workers work hard and do nice work but there are a few the ruin what the union stands for. When systems change they run the to the shop steward because they've been grieved! Grievance is the capital of NEW PENN!

Cons

The only way to get any wage increase is to give two weeks notice then there is magic money that appears out of the air as they try to pay you to stay. it really is sad they way your career spirals down from here.

Advice to Management

No raises or cost of living in years. People are money driven so reward the people that produce for your company, not just because they've been there for a long time.

New Penn Motor Express Response

May 22, 2015Director - Human Resources

We totally agree that our workers, both union and non-­union, work very hard every day to do the best job they can for our ... More

Moving and different; it's your family away from your family.

I have been working at New Penn Motor Express

Pros

I've worked here 22 yrs and it is like having an extended family. It has it's up's and downs but It kept a smile on my face. I like the people,the challenges and even the joke's it's like anything else we all have our jobs to do and after everything is said and done it is like you achieved something. You have to like what you're doing or you will never be satisfied!

Cons

Sometimes the equipment is not up to par,they'll fix it ,if you write it up but not everybody does write it up ,they are sometimes a little pushy but it's for good reason I guess. In some areas management lacks the fortitude to achieve there point of view but that's why they call it work

Advice to Management

Sometimes you have to look in your heart for the right answer, but that's what will always separate us. (Business is Business)

Worst experience of my life.

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor

I worked at New Penn Motor Express full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some people are great, money isn't terrible if salaried, great health insurance, If you have your CDL its probably the highest paying job there is.

Cons

Overtime is required and if you don't stay even longer than what is required you'll be looked down on.
    Off time is a joke, you are expected to not have a life, DO NOT WORK HERE IF YOU HAVE KIDS.
    Management is a joke, nothing is ever good enough for them.

Advice to Management

Stop with the part time work, its not fair and as a supervisor was one of the most apparent things I noticed from walking in the door. Learn to care about your own company and not let YRC run you into the ground.

Good company but a lot of cancerous people left in the bunch. Hindrance to real growth

I have been working at New Penn Motor Express

Pros

Growing business challenging every day

Cons

Resentment left up hill battle

10. Good company if you are experienced in freight

Former Employee - Driver/Dockmen in Mechanicsburg, PA
    Former Employee - Driver/Dockmen in Mechanicsburg, PA

I worked at New Penn Motor Express full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Exposure to a variety of freight oriented jobs if you are new to the industry. Dock work, yard hostler, city driving (pick up and delivery) and OTR (over the road) are all possible duties on day one if you have your CDL.

Cons

Work performance and knowledge is expected regardless of experience even though when first starting the pay rate is on a scale. If you are experienced in the industry then it's just a matter of working through the scale progression until you are at full rate. If you are not new then understand you will be on call 24 hours a day when you first start working there until you get a bid.

everyday is an adventure

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Trenton, NJ
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Trenton, NJ

I have been working at New Penn Motor Express full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

good benefits.......pay is good but haven't gotten a raise in 5 years

Cons

we are owned by YRC and it seems like we are at a standstill with no real future

RSS Feed </> Embed