New Perspective Senior Living

Todd Novaczyk

Great room for advancement

Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at New Perspective Senior Living full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Everyday is different. I get to work with a great bunch of people daily. Quarterly profit sharing bonuses!!

Cons

Some minor issues are overseen sometimes unless you point them out a few times.

Great co-workers, overall enviroment is good, terrible management

Current Employee - Resident Assistant/"Caregiver"
    Current Employee - Resident Assistant/"Caregiver"

I have been working at New Perspective Senior Living part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Most everyone I work with is a hard working, caring, compassionate person.
    $3.00 made-to-order meals from the kitchen, but you can only eat it on your break, which is not at any of the normal meal times.
    Corporate office/"The Resource Center" does well in expressing their gratitude to employees through small gifts and reminders throughout the year.
    Of course, helping the residents live life on purpose is my favorite part of the job, no matter how underappreciated the caregivers are.

Cons

Management is detached from the reality that is daily cares, regardless of how often they are told we are understaffed and missing vital resources to properly do our job.
    Some locations have been cited repeatedly for neglect, all due to poor training and understaffing.
    Management has some of the worst organizational skills I've ever seen come out of a group of 5 college educated people.
    Communication between resident assistants, nursing, and management is poor to fair at best. Details are something you have to hunt down for yourself there.

Follow your own Leadership Promise and listen to the frontline, because we truly do KNOW BEST. Your salary and degree will never make up for the experience I have earned working there. I don't need a piece of paper to prove my intelligence or deserve respect.
    We all love our residents and will always strive to do what is right for them, but your caregivers can only be as good as the management team supporting them!!
    If you want to see us shine, put on some gloves and show us how you're ready to get dirty.
    Maybe even do it voluntarily instead of making us squeeze by with 2 caregivers when you decide to fire someone halfway through their shift, or when someone calls in sick, or when you make a scheduling error. "You see it, you own it"

Horrible company to work for.

I worked at New Perspective Senior Living part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The residents and coworkers were wonderful to work with.

Cons

The mission statement is to put the resident first. Well the management does not follow through with this only the staff does. Also, in the handbook it says that if you get one write up you will be terminated after the next write up. Also, when you ask to see the grievances they do not show you them. I would not want my worse enemy to work there. This place is a bad place to work.

Listen to the staff more. Offer more reasonable expectations. Be more reasonable with the staff that do work for you and learn to appreciate them more.

Great Place to work

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at New Perspective Senior Living as an intern

Pros

Great People, enjoyable work environment

Cons

None that I know of

I truly enjoyed my job and the opportunities to contribute my skills and talents.

I worked at New Perspective Senior Living full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working with the residents was truly rewarding

Cons

Salary did not feel as rewarding as the work.

Clear communication.

Management is awful and does not care about their caregivers!

Former Employee - Caregiver in Waconia, MN
    Former Employee - Caregiver in Waconia, MN

I worked at New Perspective Senior Living full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The caregivers and residents are wonderful and willing to help each other out at any given moment.

Cons

The Mission Statement "Put the Residents first in everything you do" only applies to the caregivers. Management does not care about the Residents and only cares about occupancy. They do not care if staff is properly trained in medical procedures (feeding tubes catheters, etc), they do not care about the safety and necessities that the Residents deserve and they do not care if caregivers work too many hours and are stressed out and burning out. I voiced my opinion on a few occasions that Residents have to wait for basic cares, Residents were being neglected because caregivers have no time to sit and listen and care for them anymore, Residents have falls and caregivers have to wait for other caregivers to help assist and get them the medical and physical attention they need, caregivers work too many hours, no one is being hired, etc, etc, but nothing was being done and things only got worse. The day after I put in my 30 day notice (I was nice enough to give them enough time to find a replacement and finish out all the extra shifts I had taken on), we were short staffed once again, I once again voiced how stressful the night was going to be and that the Residents are no longer first, I was then called to the ED's office and told it was safer for the Residents and myself to leave immediately since my stress level was so high. That left my co-workers and shift even shorter! ED walked me down to gather my belongings and that was that. Very disappointed in management and very irresponsible. LEC's even voiced their opinion to management that they would not want their mother or father living at the Lighthouse! Neither would I.....

Care and listen to your caregivers concerns!

Terrible

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waconia, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waconia, MN

I worked at New Perspective Senior Living

Pros

The residents are wonderful and the only pro to working for this organization.

Cons

Very negative and unprofessional inviroment. Revolving door.

Pay a living wage!

Nice Company to work for, but employees are under appreciated

Former Employee - Activities Assistant in Silvis, IL
    Former Employee - Activities Assistant in Silvis, IL

I worked at New Perspective Senior Living part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company really does care about their residents and their families, if they pay well or are rich enough to pay the rent that they raise each year.

Cons

Insurance is only availible on one day once a year and is extremely expensive,
    most of the HR people are rude to employees and don't understand how hard, tiring, and emotionally draining a job working with confussed, combative, depressed, and angry elderly people really is, and they also don't pay well and yearly raises are more of a joke than an actual raise. I was told it was inapropriate for me to go to one of my resident's funerals because I worked for her and didn't fully understand the loss, even thou the family had asked me to come!

Spend a day in the memory care unit with none of your regular or daily employees there to help you do the job, maybe then you will understand how hard and draining the job really is, and then maybe you will give better raises or incentives to your employees.