New School

Updated December 22, 2014
3.9

New School President David E. Van Zandt
David E. Van Zandt

Pros
  • It was a great work environment, the faculty and staff are very committed to what they do, and pleasant to be around and work with (in 3 reviews)

• Great colleagues and office environment / office culture (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Very difficult to move things forward (in 2 reviews)

• Some posts can be extremely busy at times yet little to no backup is provided upon request (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

A great place to teach and do research

I worked at New School

Pros

The New School is right in the center of New York City with a diverse student body. The students are generally smart and conscientious. There's lots of freedom to teach what and how you want to teach. Colleagues were kind, interesting, and supportive. Overall, a great institution with lots of freedom and flexibility.

Cons

Because the campus is spread out over many buildings around the city, it sometimes feels like there is a lack of campus community, but maybe this has changed with the addition of the new building.

Keep doing what you are doing. I had a very pleasant experience here.

Left to your own devices

Current Employee - Teaching Assistant
    Current Employee - Teaching Assistant

I have been working at New School as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of freedom to structure your lectures and create lesson plans within the parameters set by the professors

Cons

Too much freedom to the point that you're running your own class and hope that it's aligned to the professors' curriculum.

Professors could be more proactive in giving the TAs more structural support and make sure the lectures have something to do with the discussion sections.

provide better pedagogical assistance to TAs

Experiences vary

Current Employee - Administrator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Administrator in New York, NY

I have been working at New School full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Cool institution, interesting work, great students

Cons

Cultures vary greatly by division. Some areas of the university are very hierarchical and do not support their employees, while others provide good mentorship.

Highly professional team running their media

Former Employee - Producer Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Producer Director in New York, NY

I worked at New School

Pros

Allowed creative freedom with excellent critical feedback and support

Cons

I can't think of one.

Keep it up

Editorial work

I worked at New School

Pros

A good way to learn, better than classes, most people are nice and helpful, the hours were okay and there was flexibility.

Cons

Only credit for compensation, the experience really depends on the people around you - unpleasant people created an unpleasant work environment and vice versa.

Mediocre experience for a fundraiser

Former Employee - Development Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Development Manager in New York, NY

I worked at New School full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent benefits and great vacation time. Some great people, but they are slowly moving on to other organizations. Laid back dress code and atmosphere.

Cons

Working at The New School I learned a little bit, but beyond what I was able to learn from my specific position, The New School was not at all interested in helping with my professional growth.
    Their systems are policies are outdated and there seems to be no desire to update or change anything.
    As a policy they do not give merit-based raises. Meaning that the only way to get a raise is to actually receive a promotion and title change. So if you work at The New School be prepared to make the same salary for several years.
    There are some good people there but they are few and far between.
    Morale among the employees is very low.

Give merit based raises like every other organization. Explore updating your policies and systems and invest in the professional development of all your employees.

Open University

I worked at New School

Pros

Good place to work, people are good to work with and supportive. Low stress depending on department. Loved the Fridays off during the summer months and the closing during Christmas.

Cons

Leadership and HR needs to improve on encouraging staff development and more recognition of staff on their individual work.

Great Students

Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor in New York, NY

I worked at New School part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Eugene Lang students are a joy to teach. They're inquisitive, creative, independent-minded, with a real desire to learn. The school itself fosters this environment and attracts this particular kind of student. There's a big focus on both the arts and humanities and social justice. You are encouraged to use various pedagogical methods, and have a lot of freedom to teach the class you see fit. I had a wonderful time with these students, and enjoyed going to teach every class.

Cons

There was little to no guidance or feedback from the chair and administration. Adjuncts are very low on the academic food chain, I understand, but the lack of transparency and downright curtness from the Chair really turned me off. It really did feel like they were scrambling to get instructors to fill their sections, and then when that need wasn't there anymore, they dumped you. Again, this is the nature of the beast, but why not treat me as a person at least? The administration is overtaxed, spend the majority of their energy dealing with administration and with their star faculty, and honestly don't really care for anyone "less than."

I am realistic when it comes to being an adjunct. However, when you say "no," and don't have any open positions, at least be cordial about it. Don't make me feel like carrion. A sour ending to a great academic year.

Best Job Ever!

Current Employee - Student Worker in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Student Worker in New York, NY

I have been working at New School part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Learn to use Word, Excel, Publisher, and copier machine. Very rewarding job, I learned to change a copy machine turner, send faxes and scans. I learned to be more engaging and social with people and met some interesting characters.

Cons

It is a federal work study job so the payroll is fixed to federal work study aide.

Keep doing what you're doing! This really helps build up resume and work experience all the while being a flexible job that doesn't interfere with school work.

Nice work experience - poor management

Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at New School part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people are generally good, but overworked

Cons

Overworked and uninspired professors led to some lackluster courses and overall enthusiasm.