New Seasons Market

Amazing

Current Employee - Meat Assistant Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Meat Assistant Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at New Seasons Market

Pros

Family oriented and benefits great place to work

Cons

None keep up what you're doing

Most fair, moral, trusting place I've ever worked.

Former Employee - Deli Service Clerk in Happy Valley, OR
    Former Employee - Deli Service Clerk in Happy Valley, OR

I worked at New Seasons Market full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Benefits, above minimum wage salary, wage reviews, and the store even has it's own culture. Everyone is super friendly, and they even go out of the way of their own responsibilities to help you with your job. I had a great time working here. I worked at the happy valley location next to clackamas, and they were so great and understanding when I had to leave for college. The store owner even worked almost everyday in all departments of the store. I worked in the deli, and I miss that job so much. New Seasons, please come to eugene! I miss you so much!

Cons

None at all. A great business and a privilege to work at.

Open up a store in eugene oregon!

Very happy with my job

I have been working at New Seasons Market full-time (less than an year)

Pros

20% discount. Medical, dental, eye insurance, 401k. Free food. Very relaxed dress code. Management and coworkers are generally friendly. Great work/life balance.

Cons

I would like to have more opportunity to cross train in other departments to further grow within the company.

Pay attention to employees that rise to the top. Don't overlook those that are willing and capable of advancing.

Meat Clerk.

Current Employee - Meat Clerk in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Meat Clerk in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at New Seasons Market full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, people, 20 percent discount, free expired food.

Cons

low pay, stress, abusive superiors

Respect underlings

Changing for the Worse

Current Employee - Grocery Lead in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Grocery Lead in Portland, OR

I have been working at New Seasons Market full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

it was nice having a job and the benefits were good, but its all changing

Cons

the company is slowly changing into a corporation that doesn't stand apart like it used to.

The employees are your bread and butter. What made the company what it was in the 2000's was the fact that the company cared very dearly for its employees as well as the community. you have lost that

What the hell???

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at New Seasons Market full-time (more than an year)

Pros

For the most-part, the staff is pretty awesome. The pay is decent-ish considering the work being done (we aren't construction workers after all). Blue slip program (free food that can't be sold) is pretty darn cool. Company seems to be rather lax and accepting towards everyone's individuality and appearance. Benefits are pretty good if you can afford them.

Cons

Oh my...here comes my question to the company as a whole: What the hell???
    The other reviews on here claiming that department managers are coming in from Starbucks, Mansanto, Haggen, etc. are one hundred percent true. And while there is NOTHING wrong with hiring qualified individuals for the positions, there IS something VERY wrong with changing your entire company structure making it so that there is absolutely no chance for growth within the company. Those days are gone. When I was hired it was still very possible for internal growth within the company, and that was rad! If you proved yourself, most likely you'd get a promotion. Now, that option won't even exist as of...October??? I believe? First it was September, but now of course it's October. And come on guys! Making your CURRENT department managers RE-APPLY FOR THEIR OWN JOBS? What the hell?
    And announcing the opening of five stores in one year is a bit much. It overwhelms employees, stresses them out (on top of the new management structure), and everyone is scrambling.
    I'm not saying that any of this was intentional to hurt anyone...but surely someone has taken a psychology class at some point in their life? And if not, I think it should be Wendy. Or everyone working in HR for that matter. Y'all need to know not only how to speak to, but how to properly interact with your employees. That's right, YOUR EMPLOYEES. WE ARE MAKING YOU MONEY. Without us, there would not be a you.
    I am not an angry employee. I have not been "burned". I have never been written up, nor reprimanded for anything of any meritt. I'm a good employee. I'm a good employee that was pushed towards becoming part of management. I just...had no desire to manage so many people that had no idea what they were doing. I feel really bad for my friends that won't have their jobs now though...
    What the hell?

STOP BEING JERKS.

Free-form yet accountable culture led to major pros, cons

I worked at New Seasons Market full-time

Pros

I should preface all this by noting that the company culture seemed to be undergoing a major shift as I was leaving (thanks mainly to new ownership), and from what I hear this has continued over the past year.

While I was there, the biggest advantage over similar grocery companies was that NSM treated its employees like adults. I felt trusted to understand and solve problems on my own, without a hovering supervisor or a gospel rulebook. This is possible in part because they hire great employees (it's a competitive job market full of underemployed smart people), which also makes breakroom chats and after-work drinks fun and stimulating. I also liked that I was encouraged to form relationships with customers and try to get them what they needed, as opposed to serving as many people as possible and upselling at every opportunity. Grocery work is repetitive and brainless, but these things made it as bearable as possible.

Cons

The looser management structure resulted in major differences between departments. Some were well-managed, with rotating schedules and time off, quick attention to any interpersonal conflicts, and involved training for those employees that wanted to move up. Others (mine) were saddled with complacent and unskilled middle managers, built-up resentments between long-term employees that let to petty conflicts, and little interest in personnel development - for them, it was simpler to let the same people work undesirable shifts and complete heavier physical work until they inevitably quit, at which point they were just replaced. Upper management never stepped in with more than a token statement.

At the same time, attempts to address this via heavier oversight (as, again, was happening when I left) felt clumsy and overbearing. It's an incredibly difficult balance to strike, but they seemed to be sacrificing the freewheeling and casual culture that made "the friendliest store in town" more than a trite slogan, and replacing it with a rigidity that didn't even weed out the worst elements. Still, much better than a place like Safeway that wouldn't bother making an effort on any of these issues.

Try to innovate in how you manage company culture - the more bottom-up, the better. Ask longtime employees, not outside consultants (or just ask both!). The pay restructuring that left me with one 40-cent raise in 2 years frankly left me feeling extremely undervalued.

No longer a company that values their employees. CEO is from Starbucks.

Current Employee - Operations in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Operations in Portland, OR

I have been working at New Seasons Market full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

New Seasons has many great employees to work with at the store level. Great benefits, profit share (taxed) and 401K program. When products and Produce cannot be sold to customers, there is a "Blue Slip" program that allows you to take advantage of a lot of free food.

Cons

There is a HUGE separation from higher ups to the actual store level workers. The bonuses awarded to Merchandisers are in the 4 and 5 digits where the actual store level employees receive anywhere from $75 to $550 depending on years worked there and hours worked in the past quarter.
    Once a person becomes a manager, they are free to abuse their positions without any serious repercussions and are given carte blanche when handling their departments and mishandling their staff. They pay their store level employees very poorly and the wage increases are miniscule. People are not being promoted from within anymore and, instead, outside people are being brought in from very corporate environments, i.e. Starbucks and even Monsanto.

Pay your staff better and promote from within. Begin a tuition reimbursement program. Stop cutting labor so that everyone is unhappy, stressed and spread way too thin. Central kitchen is a disaster and our food quality has deteriorated to the point that staff and customers complain. Merchandisers and Managers of certain departments are dropping like flies and there is NO transparency anymore. And start admitting that you have gone completely corporate, Wendy Collie. Just because you may have been a cheerleader in your youth does not mean you have what it takes as a leader for what once was an awesome place to work.

Not the company it used to be!

Current Employee - Assistant Department Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Assistant Department Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at New Seasons Market full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Decent pay, decent benefits. staff are great; like an extended family. staff discount. "profit share"

Cons

Limited advancement opportunities. upper management is growing too much, with many redundant positions. company claims "we promote from within"; not true. many of the newly-created and current management positions are filled by people hired from external sources, such as Starbucks, Haggen, etc. Company values have changed over the years. claimed that customer service is primary goal, yet stores are not staffed adequately to provide this goal. no longer a "local" company, now having acquired a chain in California. too much growth over the years. wages are not at levels comparable to other grocery retailers. if there are no unions, pay should still be commensurate with union jobs. PR about the company and how it is to work here has done a good job; the public and many staff are lulled into believing that the company believes in a local food economy and in providing a great working environment, when the true motive is $$$. have been told by food service that ingredients used in food production used to be organic when possible, now it's the cheapest available.

quit building new stores before current stores are at maximum capacity. actually promote from within. reward employees for extended service to the company. staff according to customer service expectations. management structure within stores is changing to more work from less people, which will negatively affect customer service, while being told customer service is the reason for the change. have staff/management at store support level actually work in the stores on occasion (once a week or so), to actually see first-hand what it is like to work in the stores and provide quality customer service (which can be quite difficult and exhausting). rewind six or more years to when the company actually believed in what it claimed and quit expanding like you want to take over the world. we are not Whole Foods, nor do we want to be.

Great Work Environment

Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Portland, OR

I have been working at New Seasons Market part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

New Seasons really gets customer service and they staff their stores with that in mind.

Cons

Competition for advancement is pretty stiff, with the company growing every year and becoming more and more popular to potential employees. Sometimes employees with a great track record and a long time of service get overlooked for advancement.

Ensuring loyalty is awarded by advancing those who have been with the company longest and maintain the companies ideals should be a top priority.