New Sector Alliance

Add Photos

Carlin (Carly) Janson

NS Experience Great Overall

Resident In Social Enterprise (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGreat network of driven, like-minded professionals, though interaction and access to the alumni network varied between sites. The program was very supportive in terms of personal and professional development.

ConsAt times, the happiness of the host site took precedence over that of the program participants, which was an issue. Training quality varied depending on the topic and presenter.

Advice to Senior Management--

Professional growth development

Summer Fellow (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThey really have a good system set up for personal growth if one desires to become a non-profit sector professional.

Mentorship system is quality bar-none. Every intern has a 1:1 mentor and an additional small learning-team designed to help budding non-profit professionals get into the field.

Their projects are mostly analytical with intermediary impacts on the non-profit world. It is like an introduction to consulting for the non-profit sector.

ConsTiny stipend. The staff is so young that it shows how imperfect they are. The staff does what they can to exude professionalism, but they are not fully prompt with time and announcements.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the system more rigorous - the staff more strict.

great start for college grads

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros-professional development structure is really useful
    -strong professional/social network
    -you'll get nonprofit work experience that would be extremely difficult to get into right out of college otherwise

Consyour experience will depend a lot on where you're placed for your host site. the trainings are frequent and sometimes feel a little tedious.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Life altering

Resident In Social Enterprise (Former Employee)

ProsThe people who are part of New Sector are highly intelligent individuals who truly believe in non-profit and social sector work.

ConsIt's a fantastic program but very few people end up staying on in their position after the fellowship ends

Great program if you're interested in working in the social sector

Resident In Social Enterprise (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsBiggest pro has been the active alumni network - great way to connect with passionate/intelligent people in the field you're interested in. Trainings have been much more beneficial post-New Sector than I thought they'd be. Mentorship aspect of the program was really valuable to me... I also ended up being matched with a non-profit I really liked.

ConsLiving stipend is pretty thin, so a bit of money in savings is a good thing to have going into it. The program's intense focus on professional/personal development makes up for this in my opinion though.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doin what you're doin. Was really impressed by the program director's commitment to each person's growth. Keep rooting out the less-than-stellar host sites and make sure to keep the partnership with the good ones alive.

Phenomenal Opportunity

Summer Fellow (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsCohort members are all exceptionally intelligent, ambitious, and inspiring people with extremely unique perspectives. Tons of great training by industry leaders, both on consulting and social sector topics. Excellent support provided to help you succeed. Mentor is an invaluable resource for project-related help as well as professional development. Learning teams create intimate environment for individualized skill-building and bonding.

ConsIt can be tough to completely cover San Francisco area living expenses on the provided stipend. The summer experience and your project are really what you make of them, so a lot of self-initiative is required (not a con, but something to consider).

Americorps Summer Fellow

Americorps Summer Fellow (Former Employee)

ProsGreat opportunities for learning about the non-profit sector
    Great relationships with other summer fellows
    Weekly education seminars

ConsExperience can be ruined by a terrible non-profit manager
    No guarantee that you will be placed in a non-profit doing work that interests you.
    Extremely low pay, a consequence of being an Americorps program
    Often find that non-profits, while they have good intentions, are terribly run effectively. At times it may very well frustrate or even anger you. This is usually why these non-profits turn to organizations such as New Sector or Bridgespan for help.

good program

Resident In Social Enterprise (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

Prosthe network it opens you up to
    for someone who had not had a position in the social sector before, it was a great entry point

Consthe training isn't the best
    the host sites can be hit-or-miss in terms of having resources to support you, whether they are "ready" to have a fellow

New Sector's Summer Fellow Program was a wonderful immersion into the Nonprofit Space

Summer Fellow (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsNew Sector partners with amazing nonprofits that you get exposure through speakers and your host site. Additionally the consulting mentor is fantastic with project advice as well as general career advice with current experience from a top consulting firm.

ConsThe experience can vary drastically between individuals because your day to day activities where you spend all of your time is completely dependent on the host site.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a more careful vetting of host sites. Since the host site pays very little for a Summer Fellow, New Sector has very little weight in what the fellow actually does after starting work at the host site.

Resident in Social Enterprise

Resident In Social Enterprise (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat community of residents, significant effort spent to make sure members feel supported- both by New Sector staff and by peers, program has excellent connections in the Bay Area, allowing for the residents to experience work at their individual host sites while also gaining from the network of their peers at nonprofits all around the Bay.

ConsNot every host-site match is perfect, but if the residents put work during the matching process, they can take control of this. Some new supervisors at host sites are not as versed in the NSA program as they should be

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain supervisors more thoroughly on how to manage a resident, otherwise, keep doing what you so.

Worked for New Sector Alliance? Contribute to the Community!