New Video

Be The First To
Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Chris McGurk

Good and fair people, but faced operational challenges in adapting to a digital economy & efficiencies

I worked at New Video

ProsEveryone for the most part is very nice. The management offers a healthy balance of small, humble perks (dont expect Google style benefits, but an early day off for a summer boat ride is a nice treat) once in a while and everyone is out the door by 6pm. There were times the president and CEO made sure people took a break from working in certain circumstances so they recognized who worked hard. Also progressive in values - battery recycling, nap/privacy room, a snack system tied to charitable donations. There were decent and respectable attempts to be strategic in major business changes given the economy then. Note: company was sold to Cinedigm in 2012.

ConsOnly one person at the VP level was known to have a bit of an anger streak-every little thing was barked about; and in one instance while she was going through *labor*(!), decided to scream and yell on a call to one of her subordinates from the hospital. If you're someone who's used to people who yell, the manner she does it is a bit laughable and humorous though so it depends on your sensitivities.
In terms of working, there were times the management and staff could not work agilely to accommodate for changes. There was one person who was part of the sales dept but also had another different responsibility under her belt who left for another job, both of which was then essentially dumped on the coordinator without much training. A national accts director supervised the area as well, but both people found it difficult to balance three sets of responsibilities while the coordinator didn't receive much external support to manage the work and benchmarks, given that the director was on constrant travel and left frequently for external meetings.
While the culture of the company is quite "open", you could just tell everyone was too busy in order to ask for greater support or help in managing such a situation.
There were a couple people as well who created more red tape than necessary, and fell into the stereotypically bureaucratic school of thought by explaining that "this is how it's always been done".
At one point there was also a time management generously offered (without my request) a benefit to offset a different issue I had faced, but I could tell it was just something sitting on their desk that they pushed off constantly to approve. I ended up being laid off before I saw the benefit ever go through. In this case they were also relying too much and too long on temps in order to make them an integral part of the system with the proper training, resources.

Advice to Senior ManagementDeparture of a resource is always difficult but limits should be placed on how much time is allotted in having someone else take on the additional work, along with extending other resources for support.. If possible there should be oversight or regular reviews to eliminate some of the operational time wasters and paperwork that some departments insisted on as it was detrimental to efficiencies that would affect how bigger changes were absorbed later on.

Not a place to stay for long

I worked at New Video

ProsHard working staff. Most are friendly.

ConsPlace is filled with disfunction, no solid leadership, not loyal to employees. The entire business depends on one customer, who does not want to stay with them and is looking elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communication with staff is needed.

Good place to work

Accounting Intern (Current Employee)

I have been working at New Video

ProsYou learn a lot from doing this internship. The office is casual and laid back. The pretty friendly and nice.

ConsJob gets boring sometimes when you don't have any work to do at the moment. Need more flexible hours for intern.

The executive staff treat everyone as replaceable

I worked at New Video part-time

ProsIt's a decent salary. The company works with some great films.

ConsChaos, undermining, lack of systems and limited chances at promotion

Good people and good environment

Intern (Former Employee)

ProsRelaxed environment
Friendly supervisors
Summer Fridays (1/2 day)

ConsInterns get the shaft often

Worked for New Video? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at New Video reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for New Video CEO Chris McGurk. All 5 reviews posted anonymously by New Video employees.