New West Technologies - Colorado

Updated November 17, 2014
Updated November 17, 2014
1.7

Mark Owen

If you are unemployed and have no other job offers then this is an okay place to work.

Current Employee - Junior Employee (Non-management) in Landover, MD
    Current Employee - Junior Employee (Non-management) in Landover, MD

I have been working at New West Technologies - Colorado

Pros

Many different projects/clients it is rare to have the same day-to-day routine for more than a year. You get to learn about new technologies and environmental issues but rarely get involved in anything that makes a difference. Very flexible hours, people come into the office between 7am and 10am (but still work 8 hours). Nice office and physical environment with snacks and beverages in the break room. Calm, friendly and low stress work environment.

Cons

New West claims to be a "consulting company" when most employees are just "warm bodies" to be placed on site at clients. We claim to be a technical and IT company but it is not reflected in the work place.

There is a very unclear direction in the company and the only thing we are good at is wining new contracts. The company is very dynamic (not in a good way) trying to figure out what the management structure or mix of clients would look like in 2 or 3 years is near impossible. There is a very high employee turnover, approximatley10% a year, this has been going on for 2 or more years. When these people leave and their "knowledge" goes with them it is not replaced and the company simply moves in a different direction.

New West is only what it's current mix of employees offer and there is no core to the company.

I do not disagree with any of the other reviews.

Figure out what you want New West to be and make sure to tell all employees. Figure out what the company should be good at and invest in it to the point where if people leave the company the competency remains.

Hire GOOD employees, if someone is not working out DO NOT move them around to different positions to see if it will work. Also, make sure the individuals know what they will be doing and make sure it is something they want to be doing. Many new employees take weeks to figure out what their job is.

People quit the company for a reason, take a few minutes to figure out why.

Management acts like they know what they are doing because they are "management" and attempt to dictate to lower level employees. It would serve the company well to treat everyone as a professionals and discuss matters openly.

One word - RUN!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at New West Technologies - Colorado full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This place has ZERO pros in terms of personal growth, compensation, or perks. The Company's sustainability plan pretty much means eliminating any types of office snacks or drinks to reduce the company's carbon footprint. Want to reduce carbon footprint? Eliminate offices that are unnecessary. Allow more employees to work remotely. Work a 9/80 schedule. Have more offices closer to an urban center. This company does not care about growing from within nor do they care about training their employees to see them succeed. Been with the company way too long to know that any thoughts about effecting change DOES NOT HAPPEN.

Cons

The company supposedly gives you an "incentive" for not taking a sick day. They give you one extra vacation day for every quarter that you do not use any sick days. How is an extra 4 vacation days versus 7 sick days supposed to be an incentive for its employees??? Unless you decide to rack up the 3 "extra" vacation days and then use all 7 of your sick days the last quarter--there really is no "incentive" here. Do the math folks!!!

The last time I put in over 100 hours during a pay period, I had to fight my way through management to get comp time. Management's response? Comp time is discretionary and provided in the bonuses you receive (BONUS? THE SMALL PORTION OF WHAT YOU BILLED THE CLIENT FOR WHEN I WORKED THOSE EXTRA 30 HOURS?) Slavedrivers. This is the kind of company we're talking about here.

Get new management--management that truly cares about its employees and trains them to succeed instead of management that likes to take credit for all the work that their employees do (i.e. project managers that get credit for putting proposals/budgets/hours that employees put together, or that take patents away from their employees, etc.). Then you have other management personnel who have no expertise in the field they're managing but who think can manage projects, staff hours, rates, etc. Also, your current COO does not know how to treat employees with respect or dignity and micromanages what she should not be spending her expensive time managing. If you want to keep talented folks around and stop hemorrhaging all your good employees, I recommend getting rid of or changing up your current management tree.

Not a place to stay long-term, but you can pick up some clean energy experience

I worked at New West Technologies - Colorado full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Getting a paycheck is better than being unemployed.
    - Working to help promote cleaner energy technologies is a worthy endeavor.
    - Forty-hour workweeks enable a decent work/life balance.
    - The pay is pretty decent, and the benefits are par for the companies working in this government support contracting space.

Cons

- No attention is given to personal growth. If an employee is billable at the highest rate on one particular project, they will be kept on that project as long as the contract is in place, regardless of the employee's stated interest in participating in other projects or proposal-writing activities.
    - There are very real pitfalls to being a contractor working at the client site. In my experience, New West management did not manage the relationship with the client well and enabled the client to repeatedly scapegoat the contractor.
    - A lot of experienced people who had built up the company's core areas of expertise either resigned or were let go.
    - Taking initiative did not seem to be welcomed unless you were already part of the inner circle. My repeated offers to pitch in to help with business proposals or gain experience on other projects fell on deaf ears.
    - Nepotism. It really helps to be related to the CEO.

Employees can tell the difference between a company that mostly values revenue and external awards for growth versus a company that actually cares about them. When key people who have gained employees' loyalty over many years choose to leave, employees infer that maybe this company isn't a place for them, either.

Two words - stay away

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

NWT is a good place to start your career but there are no career paths available.
    Great mid-level managers are there who really care about their employees.
    The benefit package seems satisfactory.

Cons

Nepotism
    Poor leadership at the senior level
    Changing corporate direction frequently is confusing to employees; it seems to cause the good employees to leave.

Look to hire qualified professionals outside of the family.
    Engage employees with thoughtful career planning.
    Decide what the company is and what its mission is all about rather than reinventing the company every year.

Beware of bad leadership and internal politics.

Current Employee - Business Development in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Business Development in Englewood, CO

I have been working at New West Technologies - Colorado full-time (more than an year)

Pros

On the surface the company appears to have high ethical standards and a moral purpose. Helping advance growth technologies and minority owned small business sounds great. They say they have a team oriented approach but reality is the opposite.

Cons

The business model does not adhere to those ideals and in fact contradicts the foundations of a healthy and thriving company. Stupid management structures prevent cohesion as a team and in fact promote competing against each other.

Grow up or get out of the way. If you think education is expensive, your ignorance is costing you more. If you refuse to train or invest in the employees because it "costs your bottom line" then you deserve the ethical problems and lack of leadership you currently have.

Great place to start you career if you're willing to work hard for the client, but don't plan to stay forever

I have been working at New West Technologies - Colorado

Pros

Opportunity to work with incredible client who are truly making a difference in the world. Great place to begin your career.

Cons

Unstable management decisions which hurts middle-senior managers whom have earned the respect of the staff. Short-term approaches to solving systemic problems.

Promote and empower senior mangers with vision while incentivizing retention of staff. Do not wait until staff has a competitive offer from an outside firm before raising your offer to market parity.

New West Technologies - Colorado (HQ). This employee was at our Washington DC office and NWT is a good place to work.

I have been working at New West Technologies - Colorado

Pros

Joining New West Technologies (NWT) has been one of the best decisions of my life! This job allows you to work with so many diverse people. Coming up with solutions for a client really does challenge you to think outside of the box, so you will never be complacent in this position. NWT’s growth is impressive. The job itself is amazing because you get to meet different people and see so many different business processes at work. Helping clients achieve their business goals will provide you with valuable experience to leverage in the future, not to mention personal satisfaction. NWT is an awesome company to join and cares about their employees!

Cons

Find a way to bring all NWT locations (DC, MD, CO, NY, MI, CA to date) together for staff enagagement and enrichment opportunities.

The Human Resources team has been a very postive experience for me and other employees. They provided a great first impression of NWT during the hiring process, during New Employee Orientation and continue to provide information and programs that engage staff. Continue to listen to employee feedback and continue to encourage staff to exceed client challenges as well as employee career development goals.

If possible, avoid this company like the plague.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at New West Technologies - Colorado

Pros

There are some friendly people in the company. They were also 'trying to fix their problems' before I found a new job and left as quickly as possible.

Cons

They lied about what I was going to be doing in the interview. Furthermore, I am not the only person that experienced this. In stead of a horizontal career step I took several steps down and was treated like I had no experience instead of 7 years experience because of it.

The human resources department is horrible. Some members of the department are blatently sexist and treat young, pretty women who don't ask questions better than those who do. Please note these questions are often meant to help one understand their job when tasks don't make sense (ie: I don't understand why we need X, wouldn't Y be easier and better in many ways?). It is not just the human resources department with this problem: the whole company has a culture of sit down, don't ask any questions and just do exactly what I say. It's also a systemic problem that pretty, less intelligent, young women are treated better than others. If you enjoy understanding your work and being able to ask questions this is not the place for you.

The other very major problem is senior management. They will make changes to policy, inform the company, and then when someone complains they don't stick to it. These are simple things such as "we are only order business cards once a quarter from now on". I also informed them several times that some of the staff was invading my space (ie: reaching in front of me to grab me key board) and nothing was done. The bottom line: senior management is weak and unless they fix their financial problems they will go under within a few years.

I would sue them over my space being invaded, and being treated lesser since I tried to ask questions about my job so I understood it but I want to forget about the whole experience. I also want to help others who check on their employers know to avoid them.

- My second paragraph above refers to a certain department. I would highly suggest looking into who is in that department before you get sued (seriously).
    - Stop taking on new contacts until your finances get in order. It's very scary working for a company that you know isn't paying their bills.
    - When you make a change stick with it, and don't bend the rules for some. This makes it very difficult for those implementing your changes to do their job.
    - Take a good, long look at your corporate culture. I knew several women who did not feel as though they were treated very well. This was often the result of them asking follow up questions on their work. It is not a crime to want to understand your job and if the company continues to treat women who ask questions like it is they will regret it and they will lose their big talents who don't like what they see.
    - When people are starting tell them what their job entails so you don't have people who think they are taking a different job than the one you're offering. This leads to frustration and poor moral.