New Western Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
4.4
Andrew Welker

If you have money in the bank to live off for a year... try it

Former Employee - Sales in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales in Houston, TX

Pros

young atmosphere, laid back, nice office

Cons

poor training... need a draw program, tired of putting up yellow signs, no reimbursements, poor ethics, overall i wouldnt invest or work there

Advice to Management

train better

Lots of work with little pay, but you learn a lot

Former Employee - Acquisition Agent in Bedford, TX
    Former Employee - Acquisition Agent in Bedford, TX

Pros

Lots of transactions create a lot of learning opportunities Great people and fun environment Easy to create own work schedule

Cons

The pay is really low for what they are asking the employees to do The management constantly changes things For a straight commission job there are too many requirements

Frat Like Atmosphere -- Can Learn A Lot

Pros

New Western is definitely a fun place to work, the typical office is full of young guys that are close friends. With a 100% commission job you are allowed to make your own hours and determine your pay. You have a lot of flexibility with your hours, and can take time off whenever you want. You have to be a hard worker and be able to pick up on a lot of information fast, but you learn a TON about the industry. A couple people in each office are making six figures, and there is always the possibility of selling a couple big deals and making some quick cash. They try and make it a real "wolf of wall street" environment. They have a very aggressive business plan, and since they pay straight commission there is very little overhead and are constantly opening new offices. Have fun happy hours and company outings.

Cons

It is tough to make much money with this job. The top earners in the sales department won't make anywhere near the "$100k +" that they advertise. The commission cut is very weak, with the company taking a huge amount. There is a HUGE amount of turnover, as new sales agents come and go very often. Starting out can be difficult, and few people make much money the first couple months. You will need to have some money saved up to start. There are also no benefits. The company doesn't have the best reputation with people familiar in the industry, so that can be a tough hurdle to overcome with the serious knowledgable buyers out there. There are some tenured people in all of the offices, and they are the ones who make all of the money. There are people in each office who make six figures, but they have all been with the company for a while or were handed great leads. With it being 100% commission there is a lot of competition within the office to make sales, and the senior associates work together because they are friends, so it can be tough to break in.

Advice to Management

Pay new sales associates better... Provide more intensive training to help new employees get there feet off the ground.

New Western Response

Jun 10, 2015 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I’m glad that you were able to learn a lot during your time here at New Western Acquisitions. We pride ourselves on the training that each ... More

Great place to learn but no real long term career opportunity

Current Employee - Senior ACQUISITION AGENT in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior ACQUISITION AGENT in Dallas, TX

Pros

You will learn how to sell and learn a lot about investing in real estate. There is a lot of turnover so you meet a ton of new people and you can move up quickly! The whole company gathers at the end of each quarter to listen to senior management tell everyone that greatness is on the horizon and that everyone is about to make a ton of money but those promises tend to fall short. Don’t get me wrong, there are some top performers that might make a few bucks but most of the employees are just under the impression that they are making decent money. If you stay focused on the learning aspect and pay little attention to all of the Hooplah you will be fine. Please don’t go spend your first few paychecks on a nice watch no matter how much pressure there is to do so.

Cons

I was with the company for years and was considered a senior associate/ top producer. The compensation is minimal (nowhere close to $250,000 as stated below) even for a senior associate. You can expect to make $15,000 - $25,000 while in sales and $30,000 - $70,000 in acquisitions depending on the branch and your talent level (very few have earned more). You will be responsible for all marketing and lead generation. 99% of your marketing will be putting bandit signs on the side of the road and taking phone calls. The bandit signs are illegal but the company will pay for your tickets ( most of the time). Be prepared to use a substantial amount of gasoline and put thousands of extra miles on your vehicle with no reimbursement from the company.

Advice to Management

This website is for current and former employees to submitt an honest review of your company, so that job seekers can get an accurate picture of what they should expect. Please respect the integrity of the site by not posting anymore reviews from current senior mangement.

It was a good company

Former Employee - Real Estate Agent in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Real Estate Agent in Atlanta, GA

Pros

The hours gave me valuable time to have a good work-life balance. Also, I thought the company culture was engaging and collaborative.

Cons

The salary could have been better and sometimes it was confusing on what exactly the promotion direction would be. Also, it is tough to get on your feet and be successful at the beginning

Advice to Management

I would work on giving agents a base salary at the beginning so they can get on their feet and understand the business.

7. Disposition Agent (Sales)

Current Employee - Disposition Agent (Sales) in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Disposition Agent (Sales) in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at New Western full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you are passionate about investment real estate I would highly recommend looking into New Western Acquisitions. This company gives you every tool necessary in order for you to reach the levels you desire. What I personally love most is that when you come to work here you have no other option but to succeed and strive to become the best at what you do. The reason for this is because you are able to surround yourself with knowledgeable colleagues that motivate you and inspire you to exceed the expectations and reach levels that you didn't even know were possible. Albeit, this job is not for everyone! It requires a tremendous amount of time, dedication , and hustle in order to become a top producer. However, If you're willing to put in the grind the sky is truly the limit for what you can accomplish and become.

Cons

Very competitive with a consistent influx of sales guys coming into the office. No salary- you must perform (For those who hustle for it, this is not a problem)

Advice to Management

Management is very motivating! Consistently pushing you and ensuring that you're working towards your true potential. They make the atmosphere exciting with competitions, rewards, etc.

i love my job!

Current Employee - Sales Agent in Bedford, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Agent in Bedford, TX

Pros

great pay for producers. fraternity like brotherhood between employees. growing company=opportunity for fast promotion. getting paid for learning investment knowledge that others pay a lot of money for. Awesome quarterly meetings! it's not an easy job, it's challenging and demanding but very rewarding. i have worked with other real estate brokerages, residential and investment, and New West has surpassed any and all expectations i might have had. The training is there if you want it, both formal and informal. I know that i am an open book to any employee that has a question. the office atmosphere is unbeatable. i can honestly say that the guys i work with have become lifelong best friends of mine.

Cons

getting started is scary and defiantly not easy. long hours in the beginning. bringing lunch everyday and figuring out that i had to get an unlimited plan on my cell phone were some changes i made to make life a little easier at first. i think that's true with any sales job, especially real estate. there is a lot to learn really fast and it's clear that the faster you learn, the faster you can start getting paid. That's a lot of pressure for some people.

Advice to Management

keep being innovative. i think it's one of the main reasons we have been successful thus far. keep encouraging senior employees to continue to learn all new developments in the market. as long we never loose sight of those two things, we will continue to flourish.

9. You're going to learn a lot and earn a lot if you put in the time

Current Employee - Acquisitions Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Acquisitions Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at New Western full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

About me: I have worked at New Western for 3 and ½ years. I’m a top producer in the company. I’m also in the top 1% of Houston Realtors (as several associates have been in this office). I achieved this in 2 ½ years. I have been with this company long enough to see it grow and mature into a very respectable and dominate leader in the residential investment industry. -The office environment is very unique. An office generally consists of 10-20 young guys in a casual atmosphere. It is very likely to become good friends with colleagues. -Entry level associates will sell residential investment properties to clients. The company no longer puts out “bandit signs” in order to generate client leads. Instead, an associate is expected to go to networking events, make cold calls, and will also be given MANY warm leads to generate clientele. It can be a fast paced and competitive environment. You will not have many predictable days once you get out of training. -The training at the firm has also greatly improved. There will be sit down instruction with senior associates training you on everything from contracts, financing, organization, and of course selling. This generally lasts a few weeks once you start. The company still firmly believes in “learning on the job”. A great way to learn at this company is to ask lots of questions and I have never encountered an associate that is not willing to help or give a little of their time. I came into New Western with NO knowledge of the industry and I now believe myself to be a competent professional. -The compensation at the company is 100% commission. I consider this a pro. I hate the idea of knowing what I’ll make every year. You’ll probably hear this from others at the company, but yes it is possible to make 100K in your first year and yes others have done it and yes this is possible at any of the New Western offices. However an associate that achieves this would be considered exceptional. A decent associate can now expect to make 50K+ in a full year. But you will earn what you put into it. It’s that simple.

Cons

-100% commission can be considered a con for many people. This job is simply not a good fit if you do not want to take responsibility for how much you make. -You will drive a lot. You can expect to put about 10-15K miles on your car per year. I personally don’t like sitting at a desk all day so I actually enjoy getting out and looking at houses. But I’m sure some prefer a 9-5 desk job.

Advice to Management

Keep growing fast

10. Great environment for hard working, self motivated employees

I have been working at New Western full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great work environment where employees thrive on each others success. Competition drives each employee to learn from one another and continue to push themselves. Our offices have a young workforce with a casual atmosphere. - A long term, self-sustaining career as we solely promote from within. New Western has opened a total of 6 offices in the last 5 years and there is no stopping in sight. As we grow, the opportunity for advancement does as well. - All employees are 100% commission based. The more effort and work you put in, the more you will get paid. An average new sales associate will make $50-60k within the first year, with others surpassing $100K. You dictate your pay. - Freedom from the 9-5 grind. Most of our employees end up putting in more than 40 hours a week, but they largely make there own schedule and spend much of the time out of the office. - The learning curve is fast, but vigorous training is provided by management and you will learn a tremendous amount of real estate knowledge in a very short period of time. We want all of our employees to be able to knowledgeably present an investment opportunity to our clients and feel confident when doing so.

Cons

- Some people see the 100% commission as a downside. This job is not for everyone. If you are not willing to push yourself and take responsibility for your own career path, you will probably not succeed in a commission only based environment. - Yes you will drive a lot. If you have a truck, trade it in or move closer to the office.

Advice to Management

- Continue on the same path we are currently on.

Sky's the Limit! Great work environment with a "practice what you preach" attitude.

Current Employee - Acquisition Agent in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Acquisition Agent in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at New Western full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Simply put, this opportunity has been a blessing. This job has allowed me to gain the knowledge i need to set my future up through real estate investments. I can analyze a deal with the best of them! I have been able to put all of my business skills to test while working with some high caliber co-workers. The office i work in has taken the word "Integrity" to a new level. Doing what you say your going to do has been the key to my success. I know it sounds simple, but its true. The accountability is much higher than most traditional real estate offices.

Cons

This is NOT a desk job! I have seen other associates come and go, but rightfully so. If you don't have any self discipline or structure in your life, you will get lost in the whirlwind. It takes a skilled individual to balance their work and personal life. 100% commission is not for everyone. However, it suits me best.

Advice to Management

Thank you upper management for always being available and not sitting on your heels. Being innovative and cutting edge has pushed us to the front of the industry.

RSS Feed </> Embed