New World Systems Reviews

65 reviews filtered by
2.8
New World Systems Founder, President & CEO Larry D. Leinweber
Larry D. Leinweber

Pros
  • Company provided free fruit and yogurt every Friday morning (in 6 reviews)

• Turnover is incredibly high, but the few underlings who stay, tend to be great people (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • No availability to work from home, better not be late on a 2 foot snow day either(Yes, this is a software company) (in 4 reviews)

• Recent improvements in dress code and flex time probably did not go far enough (in 6 reviews)

1. New World Systems, a great company to work for!

Current Employee - Database Developer in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Database Developer in Troy, MI

I have been working at New World Systems full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Friendly environment, a chance to learn and advance in your carrier, good benefits and a fun overall work place.

Cons

You have to go through an IQ test to be hired (it is not that bad).

Fair and opportunities given to those who are dedicated and take pride in their work.

Current Employee - Applications Specialist in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Applications Specialist in Troy, MI

I have been working at New World Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

NWS is full of dedicated employees that are very knowledgeable. If you are willing to put in the time and effort, there is room for advancement.

Cons

The work/life balance can be lacking at times with travel and heavy workload.

In order to keep new development talent coming through the door and retaining good employees, NWS should keep up with the times of software companies and offer more work from home opportunities, flexible hours, and lighten the dress code for non-customer facing employees.

Mar 5, 2015Sr. Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Glassdoor. I agree that this is a Company built on dedicated, knowledgeable and hard-working employees. Your advice to Management is relevant ... More

3. Negative. High stress and very difficult environment to work in.

Former Employee - Applications Specialist in Remote, OR
    Former Employee - Applications Specialist in Remote, OR

I worked at New World Systems full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay and benefits. Profit sharing and 401k match. The fresh fruit Friday's is true as well as yogurt. Break room has .25 cent sodas and .75 cent energy drinks.

Cons

Lack of employee training... In some positions there is no on boarding process at all. The software is flawed and inconsistent at best...

Dedicate time and interest in your employees. Help and encourage development.

Mar 5, 2015Sr. Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for making the effort to post on Glassdoor. Because we believe we have a “world class team”, we are making every effort to develop programs to enhance leadership skills and product ... More

5. Leadership? None!

Former Employee - Internal in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Internal in Troy, MI

I worked at New World Systems

Pros

A J.O.B., not much that is a pro.

Cons

Negative culture, backstabbing, lies. Nothing is ever good enough. Turnover is high. Nothing changes. Lie to customers and act as if they owe the company. Office is dirty and old.

Get some real management.

6. Sinking Ship

Current Employee - Professional Services
    Current Employee - Professional Services

I have been working at New World Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Employees who work there genuinely want to do a good job, but are handcuffed by archaic management styles and policies.
    Good benefits
    Profit Sharing

Cons

Good Ole Boy Network
    Limited opportunities for advancement
    Meager Outlook
    Limited PTO

Need a fresh infusion of ideas and management styles. Your good people are leaving because they see no opportunity to grow anywhere within the company.

Mar 5, 2015Sr. Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for your review. We believe that we have a “world class team”, one that works hard and truly wants to deliver a great product to our customers. Our Senior Management Team is aware of this ... More

Talented people, interesting market

I have been working at New World Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

competitive compensation, the employees are good people and talented, you feel good knowing that you are serving first responders, product technology is interesting, management team "gets it" and is working to improve and change culture.

Cons

some policies are antiquated (change is coming though), current office space is bad (new corporate HQ will significantly improve that)

Continue to improve on ways to attract and retain the best employees.

Jan 29, 2015Sr. Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your current experience working for New World Systems. We appreciate and value the efforts of all of our hardworking employees and are always ... More

Call length is more important than solving the problem for the customer

Former Employee - Applications Specialist (Support) in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Applications Specialist (Support) in Troy, MI

I worked at New World Systems

Pros

The company provides free fruit and yogurt on Fridays.

Cons

They expect you to work at least 45 hour weeks.
    They expect you to work through. your lunch hour on a regular basis, and if not, take lunch at a time that is 'not at the busy call time', which is from about 10 am until about 4 pm.
    They expect an average call tame of 20 minutes or less, which is unreasonable for most issues, including routine installs. Considering the fact that this is a public safety sector software company, and federal regulations require the law enforcement agency oversee when someone is controlling their system, the expectation that we hang-up on the customer and work remotely without a phone connection may be violating that. Many customers don't want to take that chance, but the company would rather the agent put them on the back burner and take the next call. Mistakes happen when you try to do multiple things on different remote systems.

Focus on the customers and forget the call times. If you have to, spend the money and hire more call-center people. This is literally a life and death operation that you are dealing with and you are nickel and diming customer support.

Jan 29, 2015Sr. Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience working for New World Systems. Customer Service is one of the functions we take pride in doing well and the fact that many of our ... More

Truth from the trenches...

I have been working at New World Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Extreme job stability, they under hire and to be fully trained takes 6 months to a year so they will not fire you unless you are trying to get fired. The word lay-off does not exist in the office.

Decent medical and other benefits, quite affordable.

Interesting software that offers a complete suite option for Emergency Services

If you are some sort of higher position (management, team leader, etc) expect very reasonable expectations and growth opportunities wherever you look.

Most the customers are great to work with and friendly.

Non-scripted support style.

Those at your level will be mostly friendly and great to be around, many slackers but equal number of very hard workers that will keep you motivated.

The CEO is not the bumbling fool people make him out to be, much of the bad things in the company is because he cannot physically put his hands into every situation. The things he does touch get done and done right. If he did not know what he was doing the company would not have survived as long as has with so few dips.

Cons

First to clear the air and fluff on glass door anyone giving high reviews to this company is coming from those privileged to not be in the muck of the day to day grind I can promise you. They were either in the bottom level for a short time and got in with the right people, or were elevated to begin with. No one in the bottom of support, professional services, or software engineering will willingly give more than 3 stars on their outlook. Some of the reasons vary but all have similar themes. So this is a true glassdoor look at the reality you will have coming in.

Before I begin this list you will likely assume I am the common poor worker preaching about my own shortcomings. Know this I am metric-wise one of the highest performers in my field, consistently have great review with customers, I am well liked by my team mates, and put in more hours and effort than most. (less as time goes on with no reward or acknowledgment).

Expect huge stress levels with this job. If you can take this great if you cant look elsewhere.

You will either quickly be advanced up (usually by rubbing the right person the right way and not on skill level or competency) or languish for years in the trenches doing the majority of the work for the company with little pay-off.

Initially this is a dream place to work for the first 6 months, expectations are minimal, and you can hand most your work off. At this stage you may do one thing just perfect to a very noisy customer who heavily pays into the product and services and make their world, because you are new they will mention this to senior management and you will forever be bullet proof in all future reviews which opens doors to advancement even if your skills are very low and you did not actually even do the work to resolve the matter. Management does not actually look past the surface of anything.

After 6 months you will immediately gain massive responsibilities and have skill expectations that do not exist, from here you either sink or swim. Regardless of either you will be in the same boat if your ship did not already come in with management in the first 6 months because again management does not look past the surface and someone will have to do the work regardless. For those that swim and pick up the skills because they skilled hard workers, you will end up picking up the slack and doing the work of those who sink, not some but actually most in one way or another. Since management again doesn't read into things enough you will get no recognition for this work and may begin to impact performance where you are now too bogged down to do your own work and actually put you in a worse position with management as they will not see how much work you are completing but how much backlog you have left to get done (much of this from other employees lacking skills and motivation to complete themselves).

After one year you will either be promoted from initial success at the company from again rubbing the right person right in the first place, or be near permanently placed where you are. After 6 months you are given a review by management that goes to HR, they do not invest time to investigate your real performance and go off hearsay by non-management workers in the weeks prior only. I have literally had review where I was told I was marked down for something that was the opposite of my personality and work style, and told to improve it during a follow up review in 3 months (if you get marked down for any excuse in hearsay you will begin having every 3 months as a way to keep you guessing how to act). Since hire I have ignored the reasons I have been marked down and continued to behave as always to do the best job I possibly can for the customer, and magically in the follow up review be told I'm doing excellent in whatever was last written up for and then some new magical reason will be demeritted, because management is literally clueless to how workers perform other than whatever email lands on their desk.

If you do well in your reviews expect wage improvements that literally only account for the inflation that year (2-4% increase). They will never discuss or humor any other wage improvements except in private deals with promotions which you best get on paper because coworkers who were promoted were promised certain things never delivered.

You will never be able to complete your work or get ahead of it, understaffing and blitz releasing without software testing insures this. This results in long hours (minimum of 45 hours a week with only 40 hours a week salary factored in pay by the way). The work during these hours is akin to assembly line work of finish as best can then move on to the next immediately. This has gotten worse of the years, and now you will be required to juggle several items at same time (literally you may find yourself on more than one phone conversation with a customer) you will be encouraged to dismiss present issues and move on to the next before completion if more is coming in to give the illusion it is all being handled. Much gets lost in this cycle or poorly handled.

On many occasions you will be required and instructed to lie to the customers and tell them things that are flat out not true to save company face. Certain verbiage which casts blame on the company even when absolutely and contractually due is prohibited. Additionally you will be expected to make your team sound much larger (greater staffed) than it is to the customer who have toured the facility and seen your team in person, and speak to the same individuals day after day after day.

Despite management taking no care in the actual performance of employees and the real situation on the floor, they hide behind excessive micro-management and knee-jerk reactions to situations that arise. For example for every situation that arises which actually requires a manager to step in no matter how minor and uncommon, there will be a stand up meeting following that will publicly defame the individual who may have been in a situation not of their own fault by announcing what happened. They will not give names but as small a company as is it does not take much to figure this out. After creating an embarrassment for the individual that is totally unnecessary and non-conducive towards correction, they will roll out a wide sweeping policy change to behavior for all employees to prevent recurrence rather than a simply best practice speech. There are so many of these over the last two years they are completely overlapping and you literally don't know how to react for the company in situation and just end up ignoring these and use your own best judgement in situations. To make matter worse management will encourage you to quote the policy, and then when a situation arises that the policy produced and worsened will slap you on the wrist for following it in the first place (again best practice is just good judgment).

You will be asked to volunteer for situations on a temporary basis as holes open by high turnover. Good workers will have no problem agreeing to this but should be warned these situations are never temporary. Most are brought on with the carrot that all will be returned to normal when new staffing is hired to fill the void. However, if they hire that day it will be several months before they are up to speed to take over whatever you volunteered to do, and often times hiring processes due to what I guess is low glassdoor ratings can extend out over half a year. These volunteer missions also will never get you any kind of kudos or acknowledgement with management as they do not read into things like this. If you literally volunteer for nothing you will get the same review as anyone else.

Teams are very divided while working just feet from each other. Sweeping problems on other teams to try and manage your own excessive workload is common, and can be argumentative at times. This was not how it was at the beginning but policy changes over time have led to this. This is because you are encouraged to "ship" the problem for someone else to review rather than simply taking a few minutes to bring a resource over from said team to look at the problem and assist to grab the next incoming issue. This leads to further process delays on actual resolution and higher stress levels.

Taking time off is frowned upon greatly even if its in your contract and owed to you, or otherwise. You will be assigned work when away on vacation and have greater work loads when you come back to wipe away any benefit of your leave. You are awarded personal days (only 5 to start) but verbally berated if it was not for serious illness or major emergency (they cannot do anything to you for this usage but be prepared to hear it). Office will never close for major disasters or weather problems. Once a major blizzard struck, after waking up at 3AM to shovel out driveway and finding snow over the air intake on the street totally impassable with alerts that people should stay off the road to keep clear for emergency vehicles I called to inform I could not make it in to the office. Despite this state of emergency was docked a personal day for this when the office should have been closed (the majority of workers were in similar boat and also did not show up). Another time major flooding struck the metro-detroit area and major roads were impassable, again all workers expected to be at work on time, this disaster was national news. (Workers had destroyed homes to deal with but still expected to be at work anyone off was again docked vacation or personal days.)

As a final note as the years go on your expectations will ever increase along with your workload, you will be expected skills no one else around you coming in has, and be doing the same job at the base level as them. You will have comparable pay and no extra title. Eventually you have to wonder what job security is worth to you.

You have a great company actually manage it. Don't look at surface comments actually dig into your own recorded metrics and see what the reality is. Take a walk around every once in a while and see what is going on. Take note if your workers are agitated and not acting in character, it does not mean their work ethic has changed it means they are overloaded and stressed see what you can do to help this and you will find better productivity.

Don't be afraid to get your hands dirty, if something isn't getting done and no one is available to do it, jump in and assist. It will at least give you some better idea of how to improve process for greater efficiency being there experiencing what your staff is.

Find your hard workers and at least offer some thanks and encouragement, you are grinding your staff down hard and wondering why turn over is so great.

Allow working from home for extreme situations, events go beyond human control docking them a day off that's part of their contract and useful for helping them replenish their resolve to work hard and get rid of stress is not only draconian it is borderline dehumanizing.

Jan 23, 2015Sr. Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your current experience here at New World. In our continuing efforts to grow and improve our Company we rely on individuals such as yourself to ... More

I grew with the company.

I have been working at New World Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Ability to grow my career and pay.
    Challenges abound.
    High tech software in the Detroit area.
    Profitable business model adds stability.
    Trustworthy top management and ownership.
    Opportunity to own stock in the company for long term top performers.
    Great customers.
    Wonderful coworkers.
    Company growth.

Cons

Hard to find good professional talent in Detroit area.
    They keep mediocre employees around too long because it's hard to replace them.
    They expect most employees to be self starters.
    They refuse to follow popular employment trends.
    Dress code (a small thing) ends up being an issue because the big issues like pay, job security, and benefits are well taken care of.

Get current employees to post on glass door to show it's a good company.

Interesting work. Borderline sweat shop. Waypoint, not a career destination

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI

I worked at New World Systems

Pros

Pay is ok, not great. Technology dated, but market for systems pretty out-dated so there is a fit for the solution in market. Very repetitive projects. They do tend to reward performance, but it is inconsistent across departments. Good chance to learn about software, but this aint Silicon Valley. More like a 1990's auto company than a software business.

Cons

CEO awful. Micromanager with trust issues. If you don't "punch-in" for 60 hour week, forget being successful here. They tend to chew through the senior leadership (a result of the CEO micromanagement style?) and that leads to lots of change, not all of it good. CEO is very focused on the "catch someone doing something wrong" model. In fairness, it is his company,

Grow up and learn how to run a multi-million dollar company, rather than a personal fiefdom for the owner/CEO. Empower your people and put a bigger focus on customer service.