New York City Department of Education

Updated Apr 4, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Carmen Farina

Pros:
  • "The fringe benefits and the ability to make a difference in peoples lives"
    in 9 reviews
  • "182 working days , great benefits, enjoying those moments when your students "get it""
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "Too many veteran teachers that has lost their desire to make real change"
    in 46 reviews
  • "In many schools, leadership and support can be lacking"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great Place to Work

Director (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at New York City Department of Education full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe DOE has some fabulously motivated and dedicated people on staff both in the schools and in central administration. There is a real commitment to the students that I don't think that people always see from the outside.

ConsIf you work in Tweed it is difficult to have a work/life balance. I think that this is also a product of the dedication that many of the employees feel. When you feel invested it is hard to turn your blackberry off at 8pm.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind ways to advance long term employees who work hard rather than encouraging a system of rewarding favorites.

Worst years of my life

Teacher (Former Employee)
New York, NY

ProsBest reason to work there is to provide quality education for children.

ConsThe most bureaucratic, back biting organization I have ever seen.

Advice to Senior ManagementStream line bureaucracy. Make management and supervisory experience criteria for promotion to principal rather than academic or teaching performance.

They are committed to the success of children.

Assistant Principal (Current Employee)
Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at New York City Department of Education full-time for more than 10 years

ProsBeing committed to children must be your priority.

ConsNot enough funds to meet the needs of students. If there was more funding there would be more Arts and music programs. The additional funds would allow schools to have afterschool programs.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe needs of struggling students should be at the forefront of your planning.

horrible place to work

New York, NY

Prosgood benefits, a lot of days off

Consunorganized, horrible workers, low morale

Floating carcass with unbearable stench and working conditions from "officers".

Teacher (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at New York City Department of Education full-time for more than 10 years

ProsWas once great place to work.

ConsLittle time doing job trained for and signed on to do since accountability via high stakes exams and teacher evaluation in a Kafkaesque situation worsening by moment.

Advice to Senior ManagementEvery "supervisor", administrator, policy maker should work in galley for one school year and prove competency in both classroom and in performing their own job using the same rubric applied to teachers.

Location, location, location

Math Teacher (Former Employee)
New York, NY

ProsIf you're drawn to teaching, working in NYC is highly varied and highly rewarding. With such a large student population, each school forms its own working identity, expectations, and quirks. Find a school, and an administrative team, that aligns with your view on education.

ConsMany students, especially in low-performing neighborhoods, are less than prepared. Family involvement also varies by school, and can be supportive, obstructive, or neutral. Some administrators expect teachers to work coverage shifts when teachers are absent, consistently work long hours of per session tutoring, sometimes as a volunteer. Be sure to ask about the time you will be expected to be at school, and what activities you will be expected to participate in during the interview process.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile standardized testing has its place, it needs to be purposeful.

bad experience in NYC DOE

Math Teacher (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at New York City Department of Education full-time for more than a year

Pros- interesting job and very rewarding
- useful to the community

Cons- low payment
- disrespected by administrators

Advice to Senior Managementtreat teachers as human being

Challenging and frustrating, but good experience if you want to continue in education

New York, NY

ProsThe people are smart and energetic - it is really great to work with such intelligent and capable colleagues. The work is challenging and can be very dynamic. Whether or not you agree with the policies of the DOE, the people are pretty committed to improving the quality of education for all NYC kids, and it is great to work in an environment with such a lofty mission. The work week is considerably shorter during the summer months.

ConsThe pay and benefits can be pretty bad and can range considerably between colleagues working the same position. In some offices there is very little upward mobility. Everything is political!

Loved it!

Instructional Coach (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at New York City Department of Education full-time for more than a year

ProsThey are doing really innovative work with Common Core

ConsSometimes being on the frontline of a new policy initiative has it's difficulties.

The NYCDOE is a very challenging company.

Teacher (Current Employee)
Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at New York City Department of Education full-time for more than 8 years

ProsI have had many wonderful experiences as a DOE employee. Among them, opportunities to function in different capacities to get a glimpse of what goes on "behind the scenes." As much as I like teaching, I would like to move out of the classroom. to work in a different capacity. In addition, I enjoy having summers off to spend with my family. My family time is very important to me.

ConsThe excessive paperwork that is required. The majority of my time on weekends and holidays is spent on completing paperwork and lengthy lesson plans. Another con of working at DOE is encountering a Principal who is not understanding or flexible, or open to collaboration.

Worked for New York City Department of Education? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at New York City Department of Education reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for New York City Department of Education CEO Carmen Farina. All 225 reviews posted anonymously by New York City Department of Education employees.