New York City Department of Education

• Any Status
Employment Status

Reset
Carmen Farina

Pros
  • GREAT JOB GREAT BENEFITS always a place to move up career wise (in 18 reviews)

• Enjoyed working with students from different backgrounds and learning about how they learn (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Job expectations are ever increasing and little to no support is offered (in 5 reviews)

• The morale in many schools is at an unprecedented low (in 8 reviews)

1. School Social Worker-LYFE

Former Employee - School Social Worker-LYFE in New York, NY
    Former Employee - School Social Worker-LYFE in New York, NY

I worked at New York City Department of Education full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Be sure to take full advantage of UFT, United Federation of Teachers Union membership benefits and advocacy. Excellent Salary, Retirement and Pension services

Cons

School Social Workers Performance Evaluations are subjectively conducted by off site teacher supervisors who cannot effectively observe and provide necessary support of social worker when necessary.

Advice to Management

An experienced licensed clinical social worker can an extremely valuable member of your team. Please expand your scope of understanding and sincerely welcome this discipline who can help you think outside of the box regarding student life and coping skills enrichment. Please help teachers to diminish exclusion of other disciplines and embrace team approach strategies.

2. Enrollment Specialist

I have been working at New York City Department of Education

Pros

Overtime, alot of events to get staff involved, great training.

Cons

It's like high school sometimes a lot of non-work related issues.

3. Teacher

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at New York City Department of Education full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Health care benefits are decent compared to other districts. Most teachers are my school work hard and have career aspirations above where they are now.

Cons

The administration, the constant changes to policies and rules. Treating education like it is a business, horrendous paperwork and busy work

Advice to Management

Stop coming up with more ridiculous systems every year or so to give teachers more paper work, it just takes away from time spent lesson planning and actually working with children

5. Great job

Current Employee - Special Education Substitute Paraprofessional in New York, NY

I have been working at New York City Department of Education

Pros

Great for parents of school age kids. When kids don't have school, you don't work. Work when you want, take assignments you want. No need to check in if you need a day off. Freedom basically to choose own hours and location you want. Variety in assignments, inclusion, one to one, small group instruction, etc. great pay great hours. Currently 136.21 per diem, UFT representation,

Cons

No benefits. When school is out no pay. May get an assignment with people who are negative but always have option to not go back to that location.

6. Community Associate

Current Employee - Community Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Community Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at New York City Department of Education full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Monday through Friday and every holiday off as well as Christmas week, Winter Break and Spring Break. It is great to impact the lives of children and their parents. There is much personal satisfaction gained with this position, and you know your work is important.

Cons

Principals use Community Associates to do secretarial and clerical duties that were once performed exclusively by school secretaries and aides. They like to combine what was once done by multiple workers into one CA position, even though the job description we all respond to when applying bills the position as more of a social worker gig than anything else. That is the only reason why I applied in the first place, and yet I have done little that has anything to do with the community, and the only thing I associate with on a regular basis is piles and piles of paper..

Advice to Management

Let secretaries do pupil accounting, and let school aides handle metrocards, attendance scanning, etc. The Community Associate line was created to bring about positive change at the school level, and we can't do that if we are bogged down with photocopying, treasury, payroll, metrocards, the more menial aspects of attendance, etc. Principals, use your budgets wisely to ensure every task is performed by the right classification of employee so that Community Associates can fulfill the actual job description. Otherwise, just be upfront and change the job description altogether.

7. Library Assistant

Former Employee - Library Assistant/Retired Teacher in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Library Assistant/Retired Teacher in New York, NY

I worked at New York City Department of Education part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I like working with Adults and children. I am a retired teacher. I worked as a per diem teacher in 2006 for the Board of Education and I also have experience working in the library.

Cons

I was unable to travel from borough to borough as a per diem teacher and the children would get kind of unruly at times.

Advice to Management

Be kind to employees.

8. Per Diem teacher

Current Employee - Per Diem Teacher in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Per Diem Teacher in New York, NY

I have been working at New York City Department of Education

Pros

If hired as a full time teacher, you will get good benefits, good pension and paid holidays and summer vacation.

Cons

Teachers are not revered and respected as they once were. The teaching profession has been less inviting since 2000 because of the lack of support and empowerment the teachers are experiencing from their principals and the increase in empowerment that the students are receiving from the principals, their parents and the upper echelon in the NYCDOE.. The teachers have become pawns and are at the mercy of their students. The students are in control now.

Advice to Management

Management should recruit more males in the field of education, especially in NYC. However, the male recruits should be told what to expect. Its not getting any better in NYC public schools, Education has become a business.

9. Bureaucratic

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at New York City Department of Education full-time

Pros

Decent pay, decent benefits, some flexibility with work hours. Some very smart and interesting colleagues, some opportunities to travel for conferences, very minimal professional development opportunities

Cons

Not transparent about moving up in organization, bureaucratic and disjointed, poor communication, difficulty getting tools to do work, i.e., blackberry, laptop, supplies. Very poor culture, people do not care about one another

Advice to Management

Find better ways to communicate across and within divisions, find better ways to treat people like professionals, work on valuing employees so they care about staying

10. A good place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at New York City Department of Education part-time

Pros

I enjoyed working for the Dept of Education ,despite not being a teacher i had major interaction with the students,staff and parents.

Cons

The benefits and provisions for non teaching staff isnt comperable to that of teachers. I had to be out for a year receiving treatment for breast cancer ,i kept my job but my benefits were minimal .Then i graduated from college and am completing my Masters but ive hit a glass ceiling .

Advice to Management

I understand the D.O.E. is undergoing major upheaval but please close the schism between pedagogues and non teaching staff & upward mobility. If i invest 18 years of my life to a individual school ,the least i could hope for is a opportunity when i receive my degrees.

11. A mental, emotional and physical grind.

Current Employee - Teacher in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Teacher in New York, NY

I have been working at New York City Department of Education (More than 5 years)

Pros

The kids are great, and working for the NYC DOE does give one a sense of having an impact on the world.

Cons

Too many to name individually, but the teacher evaluation system is subjective and unfair. I have know very good teachers to be rated poorly and pushed out of a job. The politics are overwhelming. Principals are trained to keep budgets low and this means getting rid of seasoned teachers.

Advice to Management

Stop treating education as a business.

RSS Feed </> Embed