New York City Department of Education

Updated August 22, 2014
Updated August 22, 2014

3.2

Carmen Farina

Pros
  • The fringe benefits and the ability to make a difference in peoples lives (in 13 reviews)

• 182 working days , great benefits, enjoying those moments when your students "get it" (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • The morale in many schools is at an unprecedented low (in 8 reviews)

• Working for government means lots of red tape (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

225 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Amazing experience working with wonderful people.

Former Employee - Teacher  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Teacher in New York, NY

I worked at New York City Department of Education as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

Great colleagues! Supportive administration, wonderful community.

Cons

Can always improve morale and paperwork ;)

Parent Coordinator

Current Employee - Parent Coordinator  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Parent Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at New York City Department of Education full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Thoroughly enjoy working with parents helping to enrich their parental experience through workshops, networking, resourcing, referrals and providing an ongoing information pipeline

Cons

No salary increases which can be discouraging for those of us who work so hard

Increase salaries when/where warranted

Great schools and opportunities to grow in any career in education.

Current Employee - Teacher  in  Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Teacher in Brooklyn, NY

Pros

Great benefits, medical insurance, sick days and not to mention the longest summer vacation!

Cons

Lots of politics, supervisors not being supportive of educational progress.

Be fare, supportive, and recognize when employees go the extra mile.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sub

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in New York, NY

I have been working at New York City Department of Education part-time for less than a year

Pros

You get to know different schools and communities.

Cons

There are different kinds of grades that you have to be prepared to teach.

Special Education Teacher

Former Employee - Special Education Teacher  in  Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Special Education Teacher in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at New York City Department of Education full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The New York City public school system offers very competitive pay compared to the rest of the country; the benefits were decent and extremely cheap, though I found GHI to offer few carriers.

Cons

Very little opportunity for growth, besides within one particular discipline. Every single semester there is a new "in vogue" way to structure and teach special education. I felt like there was no consistency that would foster true excellence in the classroom for teachers. The way this is integrated into the classroom is different in every school but my school was known as one of the better to work for in Brooklyn and it was still a constant frustration. I felt like I spent my entire life working; the demands on teachers are extremely difficult, especially since we have to relearn how to teach/reinvent the wheel every year.

If you institute a new program or initiative, don't abandon it just because it doesn't work immediately. Try to stick with it and make modifications rather than a total overhaul. Also, give your teachers autonomy - we are, after all, in the classrooms every day and we know what works and what doesn't. Sometimes the key to effective management is simply asking the right questions to the right team members.

Be very careful

Current Employee - Guidance Counselor  in  Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Guidance Counselor in Bronx, NY

I have been working at New York City Department of Education full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Love working with kids and helping them grow

Cons

Principals, Superintendents, AP's. The entire system is built on all of the above stepping over people to look good

Listen instead of always speaking. Ask for help when you need it. Give credit when it is due.

Special Education Teacher

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

1. Good benefits
    2. Decent salary
    3. Job security (kind of)
    4. Working with students

Cons

Leadership in most NYC schools leaves a lot to be desired. Filled with favoritism, nepotism, etc. If they don't like you for personal reasons, better start looking for a new place to work. Either become a brown-noser or get lost. Hard work doesn't really pay off as you are just criticized for small things, never recognized for anything good. I could go on and on...

How about some recognition? Thanks.

Painstaking

Current Employee - Teacher  in  Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Teacher in Bronx, NY

I have been working at New York City Department of Education full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Working with young people, rewarding and fun. I was able to work as a teacher,mentor and coach after school, summers and weekends. The benefits are good and I received financial aid for my Masters working at a Title I /Title III school

Union has great benefits

Cons

Job growth as a teacher is somewhat challenging. The professional development doesn't address the needs of the students and the community. The curriculum is constantly changing without reason and administration never gives teachers a chance to implement a curriculum to see what works and what doesn't.

Co-locations of schools also creates challenges. In my school we have 6 schools in one building and there are conflicts with students, teachers and administrators because of different approaches in leadership and management.

Union helps teachers keep their jobs but on a local teacher-to-teacher level cannot help individual issues.

Implement programs for at least one year and change curriculum over the summer months not during the school year!!!

Teaching- Rewarding work, that doesn't pay and makes you wish for more hours in the day. Strange right...

Current Employee - Literacy Teacher  in  Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Literacy Teacher in Bronx, NY

Pros

-Enjoyed working with students from different backgrounds and learning about how they learn.
    -Enjoyed working with staff who were passionate about education.
    -My students were the highlight of my day.

Cons

-Seems impossible to escape politics of administration
    -Classrooms are overcrowded and under funded
    -You are over worked and sometimes have to wear multiple hats with no pay compensation (Example: No one should be a teacher and a dean at the same time. The responsibilities are over bearing, especially in struggling schools in urban demographics)
    -The paperwork is endless
    -At the end of the year (depending where you work), you have to pass your students that are academically functioning 3-4 years below grade level because they meet a minimum passing standard.

-Teachers should be required to complete a year worth of internship in a public/ private/ charter school before teaching in the classroom. Doctors undergo years of training and observing before they are able to touch a patient. The same should be said for our children's minds.

Mismanaged bureaucracy which tries to keep the lower class in a cycle of poverty

Former Employee - Teacher  in  Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Teacher in Bronx, NY

I worked at New York City Department of Education full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Other dedicated teachers, creativity, children.

Cons

1. administrators with limited classroom experience
    2. paper work
    3. lack of supplies
    4. unrealistic expectations of teachers (we are not allowed to have a life outside of the classroom)

Invest in your teachers, rather than more technology teach teachers how to use it. Just as we need to differentiate with students our training needs to be differentiated as well.

Worked for New York City Department of Education? Contribute to the Community!