New York City Department of Health

Be The First To
Add Photos

New York City Department of Health Commissioner Thomas Farley

Thomas Farley

Great place to go for a while

Intern/College Aide/HRTP Intern (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at New York City Department of Health as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe NYC Dept of Health is definitely the top place to do public health work in the country -- it looks amazing on a public health resume. Everyone (not including support staff) is passionate about what they're doing. The new building in Long Island City is really wonderful.

ConsSalaries are low, but it's the government so it's very much to be expected. Sometimes there is a leave-at-5pm-on-the-dot mentality. It's almost impossible to reach the top of the Department of Health if you don't have an MD or a PhD.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo more to encourage a work-harder mentality from the staff.

Use to be great

I have been working at New York City Department of Health

ProsInteresting content, clear usefulness. Nice building. Easily accessible workplace.

ConsWeird hierarchical structure led by people who don't have any vision and aren't that impressive but have high level credentials. People can be smug, or act like they are righteous do gooders but are petty and selfish just like in any other job. Terrible neighborhood.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-organize

Good initiatives and good people working there

Intern (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at New York City Department of Health as an intern for more than a year

ProsEffort to give interns good experience. Supervisor was very encouraging and supportive. Building is new and easily accessible through public transportation. Great office culture.

ConsUnlikely to hire interns after graduation. Allow interns to be more involved in work rather than just doing data entry. Easy to get stuck in the intern hamster wheel without moving forward. Took forever to get paychecks, and every paycheck there was a problem.

Advice to Senior ManagementWould be good to hire some of the interns after graduation and provide them with better compensation. Allow interns to float between different positions within a department to find a good fit, rather than sticking them in data entry positions.

Working at the NYC Department of Health was my passion and the dream job

Special Projects Coordinator (Former Employee)

I worked at New York City Department of Health full-time for more than 10 years

ProsServing the public was the best experience in my life.

ConsBureaucracy always gets in the way of improvement.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow supervisors and managers to take care of day to day business and support them in the way they handle situations as they are trying to do their best in the organization's best interest.

Research

I have been working at New York City Department of Health full-time

ProsNot a difficult job.
Not a lot of work.
Stable employment for those who enjoy sitting around or making personal phone calls all day.
Laid-back atmosphere.

ConsMany employees have been here for a while and are highly unmotivated; tend to delegate tasks and brown nose management.
Employees need to take more accountability for their actions.
Need to reinforce the mission and purpose.
No career growth.

Working at New York City Department of Health is a good place! Nice people to see !

Software Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at New York City Department of Health full-time for less than a year

ProsThe coworker is nice !

ConsThere are a lot of requirement or application need you to apply when you want to do something inside. There are so bureaucratism !!! And the director or manager only promote or rise salary they favor you or not. It doesn't depend what you did .

Advice to Senior ManagementNo

It was a pleasant change from working at a law firm.

Legal Research Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at New York City Department of Health part-time for less than a year

ProsI was there temporarily to work on a project concerning records management. Everyone was very helpful whenever I had a problem. I had the opportunity to learn new skills.

ConsGetting the temporary ID was a hassle because I had to shlep out to Queens and then they had a problem getting my information into the system.

Progressive organization with good work-life balance

Research Scientist (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at New York City Department of Health full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIn general, a predictable 35-hour work week, plus typical government benefits; Opportunities for training; Working at the forefront of public health practice and research

ConsBureaucracy; pay lower than private industry; no "perks"; civil service system can be considered both a pro and con

Associate Staff Analyst

Associate Staff Analyst (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at New York City Department of Health full-time for more than a year

ProsThere are actually some people who are very serious about creating and implementing programs for the benefit of the public.

ConsThere are many people who could not care less about what they are doing, and who are genuinely dull and less skilled than I expected.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more care to touch base with your staff. The level of boredom suffered by many of your staff is a direct reflection of your (in)ability to regard your team as individuals with specific talents that can be harnessed to create a great work environment; they are not simply 'government workers' or 'drones'.

A very badly managed organization that can do good work sometimes

City Research Scientist (Former Employee)

I worked at New York City Department of Health full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe DOHMH has a great reputation among policy makers, academics, and graduate students. It also employs some very smart, talented people who are at the top if the field.

ConsIt is a very dysfunctional organization. Most of the managers I encountered lacked even the most basic of management skills (how to manage people, workloads, budgets, etc). And there are two competing cultures - one in which staff are expected to be professionals and work as if they are in the private sector and one in which staff are left alone to do their work very badly and are allowed to behave unprofessionally. The organization can be very slow-moving and the amount of red tape can be daunting. Budget cuts make it hard to do the work.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement staff at all levels need to be trained in modern management techniques of setting realistic work loads, motivating staff, and holding them accountable when their performance is not up to par. All efforts should be made to reconcile the two cultures present within the organization meaning all staff should be given resources to address gaps in their skills set, held accountable to reasonable performance standards, and all staff who don't do their jobs well should be disciplined. The staff who do perform well should be treated with more respect and given greater flexibility. Also everyone, regardless of their work performance, should be treated in a civil if not pleasant manner.

Worked for New York City Department of Health? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at New York City Department of Health reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for New York City Department of Health CEO Thomas Farley . All 31 reviews posted anonymously by New York City Department of Health employees.