New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene

Updated March 3, 2015
3.4

New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene Commissioner Thomas Farley
Thomas Farley

Pros
  • You feel like you are making a difference, work can be challenging but not overwhelming, very good benefits, very good work-life balance (in 3 reviews)

• Get involved with cutting edge public health programming (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • often shifting of upper management, no impossible to network (in 2 reviews)

• hard work never recognized, no promotions/raises (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

This was a good experience that was a good introduction in the public health field

Former Intern - Intern in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Intern - Intern in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Very laid back work environment. Although everybody pretty much keeps to themselves, the employees are friendly and are willing to offer assistance whenever possible.

Cons

Very old and outdated computers make it difficult to work sometimes, also there can be a lack of personal space and not enough desks for all the interns to work

Great place to get your feet wet

I have been working at New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

lots to learn; many opportunities for ambitious and intelligent hard workers

Cons

too many bureaucratic hurdles to jump through; troubling lack of efficiency

train your managers to be leaders; create more efficient processes

Bureaucratic

I worked at New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene

Pros

Large organization, people care about public health matters

Cons

A lot of "higher ups" that you have to clear things with. Also being a city employee means having to be on duty during city emergencies, and you are expected to show up even if no subways are running.

Politics as usual

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The previous job I had was a great experience working with incredible people and learning the in's and out's about public health in NYC.

Cons

I was told I was being promoted to a new division within the department and that work at my current job was being being tailored towards transitioning me into that new position. Unfortunately, the person who was originally tasked with heading that department took a different position outside of the DOHMH and the new supervisor decided to hire someone from outside while still leading me to believe I was being transitioned to the new role.

Good intentions but could improve intern experience

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

Pros

I worked as an intern through the HRTP Program--I had a great, very understanding supervisor, and the office culture was very supportive and welcoming.

Cons

Projects weren't as involved as I wanted them to be; I am a very results-oriented person and it was difficult at times to see exactly how I was helping.

Offer more workshops to interns, including ways they can build their skills (software, personal growth, interview, etc.)

Professional place to work with room for growth

Former Employee - Social Work Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Social Work Intern in New York, NY

I worked at New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene

Pros

Worked with very talented professionals and global leaders in health. Room for growth.

Cons

I think the work culture differs for each bureau so you would want to research that. Also, lots of bureaucracy.

Great place to work

I have been working at New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene

Pros

#1 health department in the country, innovative, creative

Cons

it is a complex organization and very large, so naturally that comes with some challenges in communication

Keep that family feel

Positive

Current Employee - Special Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Special Assistant in New York, NY

Pros

The Work-life balance is great and lots of opportunities to develop skills.

Cons

Growth opportunities are hard to come by, easier to move on to another Agency than move up from within

pretty good

Former Intern - College Aide in New York, NY

I worked at New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Environment is serious but not too stressful. Government workplace rules are set which people follow so I felt safe. Compensation is fair for job skills.

Cons

Promotions depend on when there are openings, so not very mobile in terms of working your way up unless you've been there a long time. Also a lot of bureaucracy. There hasn't been a raise in 4 years, something should be done about that.

Great place for a paid internship, but be prepared for a lot of red tape bureaucracy.

Former Intern - College Aide in New York, NY

Pros

Colleagues are great and there are wonderful opportunities for networking and learning from higher management.

Cons

Funding can be difficult to come by, especially in a non-priority program. Moral is not great among lower-level employees.

New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene Photos

12 Worth Street
Front Door Entrance

+ Add Photo

Work at New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene? Share Your Experiences

New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene