New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene

New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene Reviews

Updated Jul 11, 2014

New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene Commissioner Thomas Farley

Thomas Farley

Pros
  • Get involved with cutting edge public health programming(in 3 reviews)

• Most people here are committed to making a difference(in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • often shifting of upper management, no impossible to network(in 2 reviews)

• hard work never recognized, no promotions/raises(in 2 reviews)

Training NYC school nurses for School Health IT Department

IT Consultant/Trainer (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsI liked working out in the schools, and being given all the guidance and information I needed, while having independence and trust to do my best.

ConsThere was a lot of travel to the schools, and compensation was made for travel between the first visit and the last of the day. I made that work by reading on the subway and bus on the way.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy manager was ideal, in being calm and professional and both giving advice, but also asking and using information and help from me in the field.

No respect for creativeness of staff

Clerical Associate L3 (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsI like working in my unit

Constoo many people in your office walks in and don't say good morning. Do not initiate feedback from endusers of new softwares to ask what is needed to make the workflow faster, easier and of good quality.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your staff the way you would like to be treated. No one working here are children.

Great leadership and training from the staff at the bureau of communicable disease

Health Research Training Program (Former Employee) Long Island City, NY

ProsThere are always opportunities to learn! The workplace is very positive and very team-oriented. Work pace is relaxed yet stimulating. Colleagues are all educated and smart.

ConsAs an intern, the position is limited and there is not always an opening to transition into a full-time position. I can also see it being difficult to advance without a PhD or MD. There is a clock-in and clock-out system which does not allow for a great deal of flexibility and can get bothersome/restricting.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide better opportunities for growth for entry-level staff so that they can feel more committed to their work and responsibilities.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Review of Internship at NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene

Graphic Designer (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsQuiet area, private space to work, kind and respectful people.

ConsNot an artistic place, but I was doing an artistic internship there.

Excellent place for public health work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCoworkers are very well educated, experts in their fields. Excellent resources and resources at disposal. Ahead of other metropolitan areas in using big data and technology for bettering public health

ConsNone of the interns I know of were offered a position after graduation

Pleasant work environment

ProsProfessional and friendly work environment

ConsMost people there don't take their job seriously

A lot of politics and bureacracy

Executive (Current Employee)

ProsAllows alot of independing and forward thinking

ConsLots of turf wars and 'who own's or leads' initiatives. This is why government takes so long

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport your staff, especially those that are deliver projects in time and get things

Use to be great

ProsInteresting content, clear usefulness. Nice building. Easily accessible workplace.

ConsWeird hierarchical structure led by people who don't have any vision and aren't that impressive but have high level credentials. People can be smug, or act like they are righteous do gooders but are petty and selfish just like in any other job. Terrible neighborhood.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-organize

Great place to go for a while

Intern/College Aide/HRTP Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe NYC Dept of Health is definitely the top place to do public health work in the country -- it looks amazing on a public health resume. Everyone (not including support staff) is passionate about what they're doing. The new building in Long Island City is really wonderful.

ConsSalaries are low, but it's the government so it's very much to be expected. Sometimes there is a leave-at-5pm-on-the-dot mentality. It's almost impossible to reach the top of the Department of Health if you don't have an MD or a PhD.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo more to encourage a work-harder mentality from the staff.

Good initiatives and good people working there

Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsEffort to give interns good experience. Supervisor was very encouraging and supportive. Building is new and easily accessible through public transportation. Great office culture.

ConsUnlikely to hire interns after graduation. Allow interns to be more involved in work rather than just doing data entry. Easy to get stuck in the intern hamster wheel without moving forward. Took forever to get paychecks, and every paycheck there was a problem.

Advice to Senior ManagementWould be good to hire some of the interns after graduation and provide them with better compensation. Allow interns to float between different positions within a department to find a good fit, rather than sticking them in data entry positions.

Worked for New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene? Contribute to the Community!