New York City Housing Authority

Be The First To
Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Shola Olatoye

Great job with vast opportunities.

Housing Assistant (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsWorking with residents on a daily basics.

ConsNot being able to always do more for the residents.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter resources to help residents and better repairs system.

Large Agency...YMMV

Budget Analyst (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsLarge, diverse agency where you can experience maintenance and management of whatever you are skilled in on a very large scale

ConsManagement in most departments is close-minded and not interested in improving procedures or outcomes. Worst case scenario, in some departments management is truly idiotic and will discriminate against employees for gender, race and disability.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to recognize talent and dedication when you see it. Stop illegally harrassing and discriminating against individuals. Learn and understand the ADA and the FMLA laws.

Keep looking.

Manager Central Office (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsLarge agency, opportunities for career development IF you are connected to the right people.

ConsManagement is managed by unions and focus too much on civil service mentality, a culture of complacency and NO accountability. On a daily basis you will hear "not my job", too "busy" doing alot of nothing. Most employees here are lifers, as their work styles would get them fired anywhere else!

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more approachable to the several levels of staff. You may find a few gems.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was a great experience and the first real job I had graduating from college.

Research Assistant (Former Employee)

ProsGreat professional atmosphere, great benefits and possible longevity if you want to remain working in the public sector.

ConsYour title can lock you into a position and salary and it becomes very difficult for upward movement in the company. Politics and Budgets has consequences in departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementNYCHA has antiquated financial system and needs to update and become part of what it going on in todays market.

Government

ProsGood job experience and benefits, as well as co-workers.

ConsNo comment at this time.

A frustrating experience.

ProsUnion benefits in many, if not most, positions. Working with genuine people.

ConsI've only worked in one position, so I can't speak for other departments. Working at the call center, you get to see just how different it is to work for, and live with, a bureaucracy entity. From the constant negativity projected from our residents and the media, to the lack of communication from upper management to the lowest rung on the ladder. All in all it's a unique exercise in frustration-management.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove procedures and work-flows with an eye towards the future.

Horrible Management

Budget Analyst (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat people to work with. Young crowd.

ConsNew management is terrible. They have no clue on how things are yet alone lead effectively. They do not clearly communicate with staff and clearly do not respect the staff. Lastly, the worst aspect is that everyone do not get a fair chance on promotion/opportunities. They like to promote whoever they want without the proper procedure. The person of their choosing will "assume the responsibilities" and then when HR does the right posting to the public, that individual will fill the spot. This is my review of the Budget dept and does not apply to other dept.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen and show some respect to the staff. The moral is low, therefore, everyone is looking for opportunities elsewhere.

It was a great experience, I learned a lot and I want to continue in the field of Commercial Real Estate.

Research Assistant (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsMy greatest moment was working as a Research Assistant for the Finance Accounting Department, where I learned so much, that I wanted to acquire my own apartment complexes.

ConsI didn't take the opportunity, when I was offered the chance to work in various department, help me more with my current situation.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper Management was closed minded in my opinion and they did not listen to there younger staff in how to move forward with the NYCHA.

Summer Camp Job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSeasonal Summer Job
    People are laidback

Consminimum wage
    shared building
    kids were disrespectful

Good work environment with professional middle and upper management employees.

Project Consultant (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood working hours, friendly staff, great headquarters location in downtown Manhattan

ConsExtremely bureaucratic work processes, managers are highly sensitive to political sensitivities

Advice to Senior ManagementFirst line managers should devote more time and resources to employee career development

Worked for New York City Housing Authority? Contribute to the Community!