New York City Housing Authority

1 Rating

Great Place to Work

Former Employee - Attorney  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Attorney in New York, NY

Pros

Excellent place to get hands-on legal experience in various areas of the law. Because of the large size of the agency, and the multiple service areas, a large number of legal issues arise.

Cons

Lack of merit increases/bonuses.

Large Agency...YMMV

Former Employee - Budget Analyst  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Budget Analyst in New York, NY

Pros

Large, diverse agency where you can experience maintenance and management of whatever you are skilled in on a very large scale

Cons

Management in most departments is close-minded and not interested in improving procedures or outcomes. Worst case scenario, in some departments management is truly idiotic and will discriminate against employees for gender, race and disability.

Learn to recognize talent and dedication when you see it. Stop illegally harrassing and discriminating against individuals. Learn and understand the ADA and the FMLA laws.

Great job with vast opportunities.

Former Employee - Housing Assistant  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Housing Assistant in New York, NY

Pros

Working with residents on a daily basics.

Cons

Not being able to always do more for the residents.

Better resources to help residents and better repairs system.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Keep looking.

Current Employee - Manager Central Office  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager Central Office in New York, NY

Pros

Large agency, opportunities for career development IF you are connected to the right people.

Cons

Management is managed by unions and focus too much on civil service mentality, a culture of complacency and NO accountability. On a daily basis you will hear "not my job", too "busy" doing alot of nothing. Most employees here are lifers, as their work styles would get them fired anywhere else!

Be more approachable to the several levels of staff. You may find a few gems.

It was a great experience and the first real job I had graduating from college.

Former Employee - Research Assistant
    Former Employee - Research Assistant

Pros

Great professional atmosphere, great benefits and possible longevity if you want to remain working in the public sector.

Cons

Your title can lock you into a position and salary and it becomes very difficult for upward movement in the company. Politics and Budgets has consequences in departments.

NYCHA has antiquated financial system and needs to update and become part of what it going on in todays market.

Government

Pros

Good job experience and benefits, as well as co-workers.

Cons

No comment at this time.

A frustrating experience.

Pros

Union benefits in many, if not most, positions. Working with genuine people.

Cons

I've only worked in one position, so I can't speak for other departments. Working at the call center, you get to see just how different it is to work for, and live with, a bureaucracy entity. From the constant negativity projected from our residents and the media, to the lack of communication from upper management to the lowest rung on the ladder. All in all it's a unique exercise in frustration-management.

Improve procedures and work-flows with an eye towards the future.

Horrible Management

Former Employee - Budget Analyst  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Budget Analyst in New York, NY

Pros

Great people to work with. Young crowd.

Cons

New management is terrible. They have no clue on how things are yet alone lead effectively. They do not clearly communicate with staff and clearly do not respect the staff. Lastly, the worst aspect is that everyone do not get a fair chance on promotion/opportunities. They like to promote whoever they want without the proper procedure. The person of their choosing will "assume the responsibilities" and then when HR does the right posting to the public, that individual will fill the spot. This is my review of the Budget dept and does not apply to other dept.

Listen and show some respect to the staff. The moral is low, therefore, everyone is looking for opportunities elsewhere.

It was a great experience, I learned a lot and I want to continue in the field of Commercial Real Estate.

Former Employee - Research Assistant  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in New York, NY

Pros

My greatest moment was working as a Research Assistant for the Finance Accounting Department, where I learned so much, that I wanted to acquire my own apartment complexes.

Cons

I didn't take the opportunity, when I was offered the chance to work in various department, help me more with my current situation.

Upper Management was closed minded in my opinion and they did not listen to there younger staff in how to move forward with the NYCHA.

Summer Camp Job

Pros

Seasonal Summer Job
    People are laidback

Cons

minimum wage
    shared building
    kids were disrespectful

Worked for New York City Housing Authority? Contribute to the Community!