New York Life

New York Life Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

New York Life Chairman, President & CEO Ted Mathas

Ted Mathas

Pros
  • They provide a great training ground for how to sell and scripts to use when selling(in 48 reviews)

• Their compensation package is excellent and they have a superb I mean superb training program(in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Be prepared to hassle friends and family to buy useless products(in 32 reviews)

• No base salary (you will invest in the company before they invest in you)(in 26 reviews)

Marketing Agent

Marketing Agent (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsExcellent training program and recruitment process. It is very difficult to get a job at New York Life.

ConsQuotas and Participation in class sessions to demonstrate your intelligence level.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease base pay to match to economic situation. Most starting pay in industry is either 0 or below $30k. New recruits are required to make up the difference by their commission made by their sales. Also agents should be allowed to take their clients that they have services and generated with them if they leave the company.

THE CREAM OF THE CROP

Financial Professional (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsTheir compensation package is excellent and they have a superb I mean superb training program

ConsAs you build your practice at the firm you will have little time to take off

Advice to Senior Managementincrease the time to trigger the PTAS Contract

Social Media Marketing Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe people I worked with were really friendly. They worked hard but it had a somewhat casual feel to it. There is a great deal of independence which is really nice. I also had a very flexible schedule

ConsThe work can get a repetitive. Also having to put everything through compliance or use their approved statuses can get a bit annoying at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementI do not have any advice to really give

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best career decision I could have made!

Financial Services Professional Registered Representative (Current Employee) Louisville, KY

ProsNYL prides itself on it's integrity, financial strength and humanity. NYL gives back so much to our local community through multiple programs and events. Working with NYL has allowed me to grow a person by being involved in the community and by being able to help clients reach their insurance and financial goals.

ConsThis is not a job, it truly is a career. Hard work, dedication, perseverance and the mindset of a business owner are a must!

I have worked here a year - LOVE it here.

Developer (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsAmong the best where benefits are concerned. Ability to create your own opportunities. Supportive management, fairly good work/life balance. Compensation seems to be about in line with most companies. Lots of training available.

ConsNot as much opportunity for responsible employees to work from home. I came here from almost 12 years of telecommuting, and I get to do so here only one or two days a week. In their defense, however, I do see that there may be opportunity to expand this in the future.

Advice to Senior ManagementUse the subject matter experts already on staff. Poll teams before hiring incompetent contractors, such as the one that said “This place is all about getting ahead. No matter who you back stab.” (I know who he is)

Great company

ProsTraining and support second to none, leadership has continued a great culture and are proud of the company and the directions it is going in.

Conshard business to crack open but once you do there is unlimited potential

It was a great company

Financial Services Professional (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

Prosfast paced and exciting sales job

Conswas not given any training

Great Potential and Chance to Help Clients With Overall Financial Health

Life Insurance Agent (Current Employee) Fort Collins, CO

ProsIndependence and have your own business. Provides opportunity to work and serve many different people.
    Agents in field do not compete with management for sales. Management team is strong resource for field agents.

ConsCommissioned job so no pay if not working. Company motivation is to reach management sales targets yet one has to reach beyond commissions and get motivation from helping clients meet their financial goals and protection for their family.

Advice to Senior ManagementStrong Denver and Fort Collins management team-one of the best within New York Life system.

Awesome Company!

Intern (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsGreat company! A lots of room for advancement. Worked there full-time for a short time but felt that my co-workers were very hard working and positive.

ConsNothing bad to say about the company. The month of June is very busy so be prepared to work extra hard.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to train and educate employees

Career at NYL

Agent (Current Employee) Bala Cynwyd, PA

Prosflexible work/life balance
    no defined territories
    management opportunity within 2 years of council performance
    unlimited income
    training allowance and bonuses to aid in start up of career
    benefits and 401k
    great training and support systems in place
    pension and renewals

Consneed discipline to self manage work load
    need continued edu
    need firm understand insurance and financial products to be successful
    can be discouraging at time being commissioned based with no renewals in the beginning

Worked for New York Life? Contribute to the Community!